Menu

Going to Charleston, SC next week - what are some things to do

MJN

It's a good history lesson, too - look into its history - it used to be a slave market. There is a really neat sandwich/icecream place just off the market (you'll see it when walking through) it is beautiful and old with old marble floors and wonderful old oak display cases. Good lunch menu - the Greek salad is fantastic.

We haven't lived in SC for years, but there used to be a fun clothing store just off the market called "Oops." Lots of neat stuff from all different manufacturers - highly discounted. Ask if it is still there.

I think it is Fort Sumpter (?) that is there as well.

Charleston.....there's much to do. Yes, go to the "market" - there are several vendors selling goods in about 3-4 buildings.

You could combine a horse drawn carriage with a tour in the historical district. You would see alot of very old homes....the architecture is beautiful and the squeezed in little "gardens" between 2 houses and secured by an iron gate near the streets. Hope that makes sense.

The oldest home is not too far away....it was built around the late 1600's.

Then of course there is Battery Row and the park where both rivers meet. The first shot starting the civil war began at the fort across from that point. And, of course you have the Atlantic ocean not far away at all. After a short drive you would need to find public access to the beach.

There is a restaurant....can't remember the name right now, but ask anyone and they'll tell you what it is. They specialize in seafood and has been visited by many celebraties. At each table there is a little small business card-sized metal name plate of the celebrity that ate at that table in that spot. It's kind of fun. Food is good.

The city is rich in history so that is the emphasis.

There are tons of little boutiques and shops and other things to do. This is only a sampling.

HTH. Enjoy your trip.

The market is a neat place. You can start at one end and then walk down to the park at the battery. It looks out on the harbor and the USS Yorktown is across the water.

(The market did not used to be a slave market, but there is a slave museum several streets over.)

The restaurant mentioned earlier is Hymans. It can be very reasonable if you order the items you want as sides. It is not on the menu this way, but ask and they will let you order!

I don't know how much you want to spend, but you can get tickets to Fort Sumter. It is a boat ride, so be sure to bring warm clothes.

You can walk across the new bridge! It is amazing and free.

If you go to the Isle of Palms, there is a wonderful public beach access park. It is very inexpensive, but closes at dark.

If you go to Sullivan's Island, you can tour Fort Moultrie for a nominal fee. There is a great burger place there, called Poe's. (Apparently Edgar Allen Poe was at Fort Moultrie at some point.) It is more like a shack with awesome burgers and onion straws.

Feel free to PM me with questions!

Don't know if they still have it, but years ago I bought a 'walking tour' book at the visitor's center there. It was great because it gave multiple tour ideas, had everything mapped out for you & gave lots of great details & info on the places you were seeing on your walking tour. Overall, a very economical way to see & get a feel for some of the stories & history of downtown.

If you like churches & cemetaries, there are so many you can visit (free).

Seconding the suggestion for Isle of Palms if you want to head out to the beach.

Things that cost a little more money, but would be worth it (imo):

Aquarium

Yorktown (aircraft carrier, submarine, destroyer, etc...)

Ft. Sumter tour

Going in some of the historic houses downtown

James Island Christmas lights (don't know if it will be up yet when you go, but it's a drive-through light display, plus they have some shops, a carousel, etc...)

visiting one of the plantations around the Charleston area

Boat tour

I think this is a freebie...

About 30 miles north of Charleston on Highway 17 is a lovely wildlife refuge at Cape Romain. The Sewee Visitor Center has some nice educational exhibits and hands on activities for kids. There are hiking trails and some outdoor exhibits including red wolves. If it is a nice day, you can have a picnic lunch there. You can read more here.

I second Hymans restaurant.

Don't know if they still have it, but years ago I bought a 'walking tour' book at the visitor's center there. It was great because it gave multiple tour ideas, had everything mapped out for you & gave lots of great details & info on the places you were seeing on your walking tour. Overall, a very economical way to see & get a feel for some of the stories & history of downtown.

If you like churches & cemetaries, there are so many you can visit (free).

Seconding the suggestion for Isle of Palms if you want to head out to the beach.

Things that cost a little more money, but would be worth it (imo):

Aquarium

Yorktown (aircraft carrier, submarine, destroyer, etc...)

Ft. Sumter tour

Going in some of the historic houses downtown

James Island Christmas lights (don't know if it will be up yet when you go, but it's a drive-through light display, plus they have some shops, a carousel, etc...)

visiting one of the plantations around the Charleston area

Boat tour

The James Island lights are up. We just went this weekend. I will tell you what we did and what it cost.

We went to the Citadel IMAX before 5pm and saw Scrooge in 3d/IMAX for $10 a person. I realize that is not really cheap, but it was well worth it! I actually would like to see it AGAIN.

We went to the James Island lights. It is $10 a carload. You can bring your own smore fixings and hot chocolate to save some money. They have a fire for anyone to use. They have two gifts shops. One has local crafts with really decent prices. I got the cutest ornament handmade from old quilts for $2. It was very nice and worth the $10 for our van full of 7 people!

We went to the City Market and shopped. I, personally, didn't buy anything, but others in my group found some neat things they wouldn't have found easily other places. If I were trying to stay away from spending money, I would have followed one of the walking tours of the city. There is so much to see and do that really doesn't cost money.

This was my 3rd day trip to downtown Charleston. Each time I go, I wish I had another day. Soon - very soon - I am making my hubby go with me for a weekend without kids, so we can just stroll up and down the streets. Enjoy!

that are free or charge small admission fees? We're trying to make this an economical trip, kwim?

Thanks,

Molly

The old jailhouse is really cool. I don't believe it costs much and takes you underground for an early history tour and view of the city that shows how it's changed.

Not far from the battery and market areas. Depending on your interest, there are two floors of Charleston history above.

Ft. Sumter is very cool and unique, though the ferry costs.

There are so many amazing restaurants even if you can't eat seafood. If you go to tripadvisor.com you can find reviews for area restaurants. There's one called Justine's (I think) that was featured on Rachel Ray's $40/day show. It specializes in authentic southern food and is cheap.

We loved Magnolia Plantation when we went because it's a plantation, but it also has trails through the Southern swamplands (yes, there are alligators). My boys loved all the wildlife as well as the farm animals at the plantation. DH and I soaked up the history and nature!

We LOVE Charleston! Just walking the streets to see the historic homes, gardens, and even gas lanterns at night is a treat, and that's free.

Enjoy your trip!!!

in the downtown market area you would recommend?

I see they have a California Dreaming, but the reviews are very mixed. Is it not good anymore?

I think it is still good.

Also, if you're in the downtown market area, try Vickery's. They have a variety of foods & it has always been good when I've eaten there.

For plantations, you may want to check out Middleton Place, Magnolia Gardens, or Boone Hall.