Menu

singapore math questions

alexfam

Ok a few questions. I went to buy the word problems book(s) but they have been discontinued can I get these else where or is there another series like them?

I am considering Singapore math. My ds could easily go into 5A but there are things in 3B, 4A, and 4B that he hasn't covered or I believe would need a review. Should I get the textbooks, workbooks, extra practice or intensive practice books if I just want to do a review?

Kathy

I'd suggest the Intensive Practice workbooks because they have more challenging problems overall, and also include some challenging word problems in each unit. You could also look for used CWP.

If you just need a quick review I'd just get the textbooks. It's easy to read through them and find missed topics to cover.

Ok a few questions. I went to buy the word problems book(s) but they have been discontinued can I get these else where or is there another series like them?
SingaporeMath.com is planning on coming out with a comparable series next year. I'm not sure if this means early 2010, or for September 2010.

That's great but my ds needs practice now with word problems.
Sorry, I thought that might be of interest since it seemed you'd be continuing with the series.

There's always the Singapore 70 Must Know Word Problems series from Frank Schaffer. You can "look inside" at Amazon. My sense is that they're not as challenging as CWP, but they do use the bar method of problem solving and include detailed solutions.

Sorry, I thought that might be of interest since it seemed you'd be continuing with the series.

There's always the Singapore 70 Must Know Word Problems series from Frank Schaffer. You can "look inside" at Amazon. My sense is that they're not as challenging as CWP, but they do use the bar method of problem solving and include detailed solutions.

I looked at these in a bookstore and thought they looked pretty good. I actually make up extra word problems for my dd along the lines of ones we have done in the workbooks.

I actually make up extra word problems for my dd along the lines of ones we have done in the workbooks.
That's a great idea, as there is only a handful of problem types, with even fewer in the lower grades.

The Intensive Practices books have a good number of word problems. The workbooks have some as well. As do the texts. So, if you haven't started with the text/workbook combo, you don't know that you won't already have what you need. If you need more, add IP.

I would absolutely use the TEXT books for any topics needing teaching, as SM has some unique approaches to solving problems and the workbooks (or other books) will not walk you through the methods. Only the Texts do that.

All my dc have used SM from the beginning, but if I were transitioning over from another program, I'd think it'd make the most sense to start at least 1 -2 gr levels "back" from where you think you should be and just work quickly through the texts and workbooks. It'll go fast, then just slow down when you get to the more challenging stuff.

Try Sonlight, I thought I saw some in their catalog, doesn't mean they still have any though.

I think SL still has CWP 1 and 2. Level 1 might be too easy for him, but 2 might be good remediation. I bought CWP 6 off of Rainbow Resources recently, so they might have some in stock as well. I'd also check EBay and Used boards.

I heard that there will be a new series geared toward the Standards Edition, but I chose to buy all of the CWPs and use them as non-consumables. I haven't heard any word on when that new series will be available or how good it is. It doesn't sound like it will be by the same company that made CWP.

Hope that helps,

I glanced through these books at my local bookstore & was not impressed. They seemed heavily "dumbed down" from the CWP series. I ended up getting the Kumon Word Problems book one grade up. I don't like it as much as CWP but it is much better IMHO than the 70WP books.