Menu

Any herbs or vitamins to help with sugar cravings?

Not a herb or a vitamin, but I was once given the advice to eat protein whenever a sugar craving comes on. I had a really bad sweet tooth when I was pg with one of mine and each time it started, I would force myself to eat some sardines, eggs or meat. Sometimes I'd have a large amount of cheese but I didn't find that worked as well. Sure enough, the craving would pass- although it can be difficult to find a can of sardines as gratifying as a piece of expensive chocolate :tongue_smilie:Believe me, it's not so great while you're eating an egg instead, but the protein really does cause your body to stop wanting sugar. Not only would the craving be over, but I wasn't left with the guilty feeling of having overindulged in something that wasn't so great for the baby anyways. :)

GL with managing those cravings- I know it can be really difficult.

Not a herb or a vitamin, but I was once given the advice to eat protein whenever a sugar craving comes on. I had a really bad sweet tooth when I was pg with one of mine and each time it started, I would force myself to eat some sardines, eggs or meat. Sometimes I'd have a large amount of cheese but I didn't find that worked as well. Sure enough, the craving would pass- although it can be difficult to find a can of sardines as gratifying as a piece of expensive chocolate :tongue_smilie:Believe me, it's not so great while you're eating an egg instead, but the protein really does cause your body to stop wanting sugar. Not only would the craving be over, but I wasn't left with the guilty feeling of having overindulged in something that wasn't so great for the baby anyways. :)

GL with managing those cravings- I know it can be really difficult.

I agree. I've never gone on a really low carb diet, but when I make sure to eat protein, any desires for too many carbs (including sugar) disappear. I use eggs, egg whites, frozen chicken breast strips (take 3 min. to cook in microwave or just a little longer to saute) , and canned salmon as my "Quick! I need something to eat protein."

Nothing have heard of yet. However I have major sugar cravings and when they get really bad I make a HUGE fruit smoothie. Every morning for a couple of days I will combine oranges, peaches, strawberries and pineapple and drink it. Usually within in 2 days no cravings and they stay away for quite a while (like months sometimes!).

It would be worth a try because it sure makes life a lot more pleasant when you arent worrying about sugar! :)

yup. it may taste awful, but if i mix it with some warm tea and drink it like a shot, it cures any sugar cravings i have. after 3-5 days with no sugar, you won't crave it anymore. i now mix acv with blackstrap molasses and it improves my energy so much!

good luck-

jodi

I need to cut out the sugar but the cravings are making it hard to to. Any herbal or vitamins that can make this easier? Thanks!

I second the protein suggestion. A friend of mine had to go off sugar while pregnant and she made us protein smoothies one day. They were good, filling and wow did they banish the sugar craving.

Why are you cutting it out Jean? You look great btw, love your new profile pic.

I've heard that B-vitamins (nutritional yeast) helps with this, but it didn't in my experience. Only two things have helped me. 1. Adequate intake of healthy fats. 2. Avoiding sweet tastes (even sugar-free ones) entirely, because they always trigger more cravings.

I'm a major sugar fiend too. Glutamine is the supplement I've heard of for this. You can open a capsule and dump it under your tongue if you're battling a desperate craving, and it should help.

I try to avoid adding more supplements, because I already take omega-3s, calcium, vit D, and a multi. What helps me with carb cravings is going heavier on fat and protein and non-starchy veggies. Starchy veggies (potatoes) and grains bring the craving back.

I was already gluten-free, soy-free, and mostly dairy-free for other reasons, but now I'm shifting to a primal/paleo diet as an experiment. So far, I haven't had any craving for sweets since I started. I'm impressed, because just last week I couldn't stop eating almond cookies until I'd had, oh, maybe a dozen. :)

I second the protein suggestion. A friend of mine had to go off sugar while pregnant and she made us protein smoothies one day. They were good, filling and wow did they banish the sugar craving.

Why are you cutting it out Jean? You look great btw, love your new profile pic.

Thank you all for the ideas!

Scrarlett, Thank you! I need to cut it out because I have been gaining back some of the weight. Too much and I am not happy. I worked so hard to lose it and I don't want it all back on. I love sugar and one bite seems to set off a binge. :banghead: