Menu

History Spines

Sweet Home Alabama

Well, SOTW! lol

I like it for 1st to about 5th grade, or even to about 7th, if it was supplemented with more mature historical fiction and some sort of encyclopedia readings. In other words, I think SOTW is mostly grammar stage, but can be used in conjunction with a second spine for that "squishy time" in logic stage when they are making the transition. By 8th grade, I'd want something more advanced.

Well, I am using HO, which uses the Kingfisher Encyclopedia and van Loon, but I don't like van Loon, so I sub out and add in other things.

For the logic stage, I use Dorothy Mills' books. She has several of them, from the ancient world up to the Renaissance. They are all wonderful, narrative, able to used by both religious and secular people, and inexpensive. I also add in the Famous Men of Greece and Rome, and I am looking at Famous Men of the Middle Ages to sub in for next year.

Edited by Asenik

For the logic stage, I use Dorothy Mills' books. She has several of them, from the ancient world up to the Renaissance. They are all wonderful, narrative, able to used by both religious and secular people, and inexpensive. I also add in the Famous Men of Greece and Rome, and I am looking at Famous Men of the Middle Ages to sub in for next year.

These look great! I just reserved one from our library. Thanks!

Tara

My DD proclaimed SOTW "boring" but loves the KHE so much that she actually picks it for leisure time reading. I'm planning to give her a more advanced history encyclopedia for Christmas. I'm leaning towards one of the DK books, probably History of the World but I may go with History: The Definitive Visual Guide. My DD would probably just look at the pictures at this point, but I like the idea of having something for her to grow into, KWIM?