Menu

Can we talk about vocabulary?

Do you do a separate vocabularly program? Or is it incorporated into your literature/reading?

We are now using Kolbe's junior high literature, which I really like. They have vocabulary incorporated within it, but we have not really been "doing" it. The students is supposed to look up all the vocabularly words that might be an issue prior to reading the assigned chapters. Ds has not been doing it, and I have not forced the issue. Should I? He is pretty good about deducing the meaning of words from context (and the Latin instruction he has had is helpful). However, if I ask about the words after he has read, he cannot give me a definition; thus I don't think this method is increasing his vocabulary. I really am not wanting to add anything else at this point as our schedule is pretty full, and he is already spending an hour a day on the literture reading/question answering. Additionally, I require him to keep a running narration and character list as prescribed in the WEM. Should I push the looking up the words more while he reads?

I'm not sure I even have a question. I guess I am trying to ascertain the BEST way to build vocabulary - meaning the incorporation of new words into writing and speech. I do plan to add vocabulary as a subject three days a week next year. So, should I just not worry about it right now?

TIA.

I don't push looking up words because I HATED it in school and I think it takes too much time and doesn't give enough bang for the buck.

I purchased Vocabulary for the High School Student but we didn't have time for it. My older ds used Vocabulary for the College Bound Student in 9th grade.

I've been looking at Science Roots and wish we had the time to do it.

Vocabulary, like so many things (math facts, etc.), needs to be drilled to be retained OR used frequently in context.

We don't "do" vocabulary either. I started having the kids keep reading journals this year, though, and they are to write down 2 words each day per subject. They can be interesting, important, or unfamiliar. By checking their journals regularly (every couple days) I can see how they're doing w/the vocab.

So far, though, no one has written down words they don't know, so I better ask them about that.

We use Omnibus, and some of the reading is pretty dense. They ask me words they don't know, and if I don't know the word, we'll look it up. I try to remember these and ask them again what the word means in the evening or the next day. My kids all score very well on vocab in standardized tests.

I don't push looking up words because I HATED it in school and I think it takes too much time and doesn't give enough bang for the buck.

I purchased Vocabulary for the High School Student but we didn't have time for it. My older ds used Vocabulary for the College Bound Student in 9th grade.

I've been looking at Science Roots and wish we had the time to do it.

Vocabulary, like so many things (math facts, etc.), needs to be drilled to be retained OR used frequently in context.

I think I will not worry about this right now.

Thanks for the input.

We have used the box of 1000 Sparknotes vocabulary flashcards. We did them over two years (in 10th and 11th) with my older, and are doing them on a more intensive schedule in one year with my younger, 10th grade ds and the class of 8 high school boys I am teaching.

This year ds is studying approximately 30 words a week. I give a quiz a week with 5 or 10 randomly chosen words from the week. The quiz is basic: define the words, and then use them in a sentence. I also give 4 cumulative tests over the year.

The only thing I don't like about the flashcards is that they do not give the pronunciation. Just one way to approach it. Thought I would share what seems to have worked well for us.

~Brigid

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=sparknotes+english+vocabulary&box=sparknotes%20english%20vocabulary&pos=-1

One of mine does vocabulary, the other does not.

My daughter has an innate ability to figure out the meaning of words from context, and a good memory for them.

My son does not, as was evidenced when he was about 10, and took his first standardized test. Vocabulary was his worst subject, so we have since done a separate vocab workbook every year. He started with Wordly Wise, and currently uses Vocabulary for Achievement. He now tests well in vocabulary.

Blessings.

Well, I'm one that hates looking up vocabulary from readings as well. That said, we did use Kolbe Lit but also used the English which was basically vocabulary using the Sadlier-Oxford books. I do think starting vocabulary early makes a huge difference when it comes SAT time and makes more advanced reading enjoyable. You might also consider the Miriam Webster "Word of the day" delivered daily by email. Might be a tad advanced for now but highly recommend for high school.

Mary

Do you do a separate vocabularly program? Or is it incorporated into your literature/reading?

We are now using Kolbe's junior high literature, which I really like. They have vocabulary incorporated within it, but we have not really been "doing" it. The students is supposed to look up all the vocabularly words that might be an issue prior to reading the assigned chapters. Ds has not been doing it, and I have not forced the issue. Should I? He is pretty good about deducing the meaning of words from context (and the Latin instruction he has had is helpful). However, if I ask about the words after he has read, he cannot give me a definition; thus I don't think this method is increasing his vocabulary. I really am not wanting to add anything else at this point as our schedule is pretty full, and he is already spending an hour a day on the literture reading/question answering. Additionally, I require him to keep a running narration and character list as prescribed in the WEM. Should I push the looking up the words more while he reads?

I'm not sure I even have a question. I guess I am trying to ascertain the BEST way to build vocabulary - meaning the incorporation of new words into writing and speech. I do plan to add vocabulary as a subject three days a week next year. So, should I just not worry about it right now?

TIA.

Have you looked at MCT vocabulary at all? Well, the "high school" vocab (word within the word) scared me, but my 8th grader & I are loving Caesar's English. It's supposed to be for gifted elementary kids, but as an adult I'm learning to use words so much more fluently.

MCT really loves language and sounds and words. He has combed through tons of literature to show you that these are real words, used in real sentences. It's a step up for my 8th grade ds (who has a high vocabulary since his siblings are in their 20s), but it's not overwhelming.

After using CE, I've gone through all the other (many) vocab books I had on hand (from older dd) and they just don't spark my interest any more.

Just a thought. Samples are here: http://www.rfwp.com/series33.htm#17

Julie

I have two using MCTLA. For vocab, 7th grade son is doing Caesar's English 1 (will move into 2 this year) and my 9th grade daughter is using Word Within the Word 1. Both love it. I was worried it might be viewed as a chore, but they both enjoy the material. Prior to this I would not have imagined my son sitting at the table telling me excitedly about a word he'd learned, or learned more about.

7th grader does only 5 stems or words per week (super easy for him but his schedule is full) and my 9th grader is doing 25 stems/week. They do most of what is in a chapter; rarely do they get everything done in one week and we move on regardless. (For example, 9th grader might not get all of the analogies done.)

I have asked my 9th grader to write down words she doesn't know as she reads. She (like me, like most?) does not like to stop and look up words. She does enjoy writing them down later in a notebook with their definition, the sentence in which it occurred, and the book's title. (I had shown her my notebook and told her how much I enjoyed going back over it.) But... even though she enjoys that task, she does not like to stop and write words down. Current method is little sticky notes quickly placed on the page where the word occurs. LOL

Rhea

Have you looked at MCT vocabulary at all? Well, the "high school" vocab (word within the word) scared me, but my 8th grader & I are loving Caesar's English. It's supposed to be for gifted elementary kids, but as an adult I'm learning to use words so much more fluently.

MCT really loves language and sounds and words. He has combed through tons of literature to show you that these are real words, used in real sentences. It's a step up for my 8th grade ds (who has a high vocabulary since his siblings are in their 20s), but it's not overwhelming.

After using CE, I've gone through all the other (many) vocab books I had on hand (from older dd) and they just don't spark my interest any more.

Julie

I had not heard of this. Is this the only place to order? Have you had good experiences ordering from this site?

Thanks, again.

I had not heard of this. Is this the only place to order? Have you had good experiences ordering from this site?

Thanks, again.

Yes, we all order directly from the site. They have homeschool online lower prices here http://www.rfwp.com/series91.htm . The "basic" package tells you whether you need the student or can just make do with the teacher book (the "complete" packages have both), so you can use that to decide what books to get, even if you don't get a package.

The author & publisher also answer questions at their Yahoo group (MCTLA). I have also talked to them by email & they answer questions by phone. Good stuff!

Julie

Yes, we all order directly from the site. They have homeschool online lower prices here http://www.rfwp.com/series91.htm . The "basic" package tells you whether you need the student or can just make do with the teacher book (the "complete" packages have both), so you can use that to decide what books to get, even if you don't get a package.

The author & publisher also answer questions at their Yahoo group (MCTLA). I have also talked to them by email & they answer questions by phone. Good stuff!

Julie

I ordered Caesar's I.

Julie

I just looked at the samples. This is great! I can see how it will also help my daughter with her Spanish! Two for the price of one :001_smile:! Thank you.

One of mine does vocabulary, the other does not.

My daughter has an innate ability to figure out the meaning of words from context, and a good memory for them.

My son does not, as was evidenced when he was about 10, and took his first standardized test. Vocabulary was his worst subject, so we have since done a separate vocab workbook every year. He started with Wordly Wise, and currently uses Vocabulary for Achievement. He now tests well in vocabulary.

Blessings.

:iagree:

Yep, I was always in the "naturally acquire vocabulary from reading and Latin" camp, because my two eldest daughters have always scored very high in vocabulary. Then I hit a wall of reality with my third child, ds12. Standardized testing revealed a real weakness there. We are now doing explicit vocabulary with him. So my answer is also, "It depends on the child". It is not necessarily a boy and girl thing, either. My fourth child, dd9, is going to need explicit vocabulary instruction, I expect, based on my current observations. My fifth child, ds6, I am guessing not (he is still very young, but I am seeing a lot of similarities to his older sisters in the way he learns).

FWIW, we are doing Vocabulary Cartoons with ds12 and the vocabulary analysis in his CW Older Beginners. Plus, I really stress derivatives in his Latin work. I expect to use VftHighSchoolSt and VftColSt in the future.