Menu

Teaching reading

TN Mama

My oldest daughter pretty much taught herself to read at a very early age. My youngest didn't have a desire to learn letters or sounds until recently. I didn't want to force the issue, but now that she is showing interest, I'd like to give her a good foundation before she starts K in the fall.

I'd love your opinions on where we should start. She recognizes all of her letters, but gets confused on some letter sounds.

Thank you :)

I cannot recommend the following DVD series enough. It was perfect for my youngest who had more of a struggle than my middle did:

Leap Frog - Letter Factory

http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Frog-Letter-Factory/dp/B0000INU6S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1205713745&sr=8-2

There are others in the series too.

I also had great success with one simple book -- AlphaPhonics. It was very inexpensive and I taught two very different boys to read with it.

I am terrible at teaching my kids to read - the first two learned at an early age despite everything I did to try to teach them. There are many good programs for teaching reading. I have used Phonics Pathways and like the presentation although many here find it dry. I tried Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and didn't like it, but I know many that love it. I know several that love Sing, Spell, Read and Write but many find it too busy. Another big one is Spell to Write and Read which I found too cumbersome, but many swear by it. I think that some also use Explode the Code. One thing I really love is the Leap Frog videos. My dd loved to watch them when she was learning to blend.

There. Have I confused you yet? Look at the samples of the different programs and find one that seems to make sense to you then try it out. If it doesn't work, put it aside for a few weeks then try it again before you give up on it.

SWR (Spell to Write and Read) tends to be a love or hate program so I'll just give you my opinions, based on using it and seeing a plethora of other hs families who use it as well.

What I love about it most is that it teaches ALL of the sounds of a particular letter or letter combinations at the same time. You don't begin by only teaching that A says /a/ as in apple. You do not teach with pictures. It's based on the Spalding method. Using phonics, you teach spelling, through writing, that leads to reading. My oldest dd is reading far above "grade" level and also does extremely well with spelling.

It took me a little while to get familiar with the program but I could've expedited the process by attending a workshop. My 6yo is spelling well, but her reading is taking a little longer...This is why I use Phonics Pathways to go along with it.

You can get a better feel for these two programs by checking out their websites. A simple google search will get you there in no time! You can also join the SWR Yahoo! group.

I can give you more info as you have questions about it. Pm me or reply here!

I taught my 3.5yo (now 6yr) to read using Hooked on Phonics (KG-2nd grade) in a year. It just really worked for us. My ds#2 now 3.5 was reluctant to use the HOP so I tried the LeapFrog video just 2-3 times along with Starfall and he really learned all the letter sounds. So now we're slowing doing HOP but its hard to get him to sit down, so it goes very, very slow. Costco has a great deal on HOP for the entire set. I've shared it with 4 of my other nieces and nephews so its really been worth it.

My older son had no interest in learning to read at all - although he loved for me to read lots and lots of books to him. We started K using VP Phonics Museum and it really made reading fun. It kind of snuck up on him before he realized it. LOL. It's been a year and a half and he is reading Level 2 books no problem (and dare I say actually enjoying it?).

As you can see by many of the posts that it depends on the child with what works best. My 1st son learned to read at public school with Saxon phonics. My middles son learned to read at home with How To Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. My youngest is learning to read at home now. He started with 100EL, but that didn't work for him. Now we are using the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and Phonics Pathways. He's doing well, but it's definitely taking longer that his middle brother, but not as long as his oldest brother. That's usually the way it is around here; one on each extreme and one in the middle.

I second the LeapFrog DVD suggestion. One thing my kids all liked was a huge set of magnetic letters which we used to play games.

Spell "c-a-t" then remove the first letter and replace with "p" now what word to we have.

I can't tell you how much fun they had playing those silly games.

I think reading to your child gives them a great head start for K.

another two thumbs up for the Leapfrog dvd's, starfall, and SWR. I wish they would make a video of the SWR phonograms, lol. I'm planning on recording myself giving a visual presentation of the phonograms so my younger kiddos can watch it while I work w/ the older ones. You can get a sneak peek of SWR by checking out The Writing Road to Reading from the Library.

i also use A Beka's Handbook for Reading.

100 EZ just never appealed to me.

Don't forget Read Between the Lions on PBS! You can also get their shows on video at the library. Other phonics videos available too.

good luck!