Menu

I discovered the downside to having access to a university library...

The faculty has access, too. :D

Our library has this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0226317897/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

and I really want to read it! But someone has it checked out, and it's not due until August 10, 2010! August! 2010! And it was checked out in August 2009! :willy_nilly:

I guess that terminal degree is good for a few privileges, eh?

I can relate. When I was a grad student, we could check out books for the whole year. We just kept them in our offices for reference. We weren't really reading most of these books intently. Now that I homeschool, I am sorry that I kept those books just to be keeping them in my office.

I had no idea about this policy. Interesting.

I love University libraries, but hate the parking issues. :glare:

Well, we have free parking. But that doesn't do much good when you can't get your book!

I think this is a sign I should just buy the thing. Right?

I'm pretty sure that when I was in grad school, the library had a policy that the person who had the book on a long term loan had to return it if someone else requested it. That's how I remember things, at any rate, though it's been awhile....maybe you could ask if they have a policy like that at your library.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0226317897/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

and I really want to read it! But someone has it checked out, and it's not due until August 10, 2010! August! 2010! And it was checked out in August 2009! :willy_nilly:

Oh! That was my favourite perk! Year long book borrowing. Almost makes me miss those days.... almost.

Even being a part-time community college professor, I can check out as much as I want and keep them as long as I want. They also do free inter-library loan, which I only use for adult interests.

The do call me though if someone wants a book I have and nicely request that I bring it back...;)

Even being a part-time community college professor, I can check out as much as I want and keep them as long as I want. They also do free inter-library loan, which I only use for adult interests.

The do call me though if someone wants a book I have and nicely request that I bring it back...;)

I will have to see if I can request it.

If that doesn't work, I'll see about inter-library loan. And if that doesn't work, Kareni's suggestion might be useful. I am on a first-name basis with all the house keepers. Heh.

Lol. That used to annoy me! BUT, my husband is a professor...so now I have him check our books out!!!

With a name like Trixie, it's hard for me to imagine a perk that is, well, G-rated. I have no idea what you could possibly mean.

Hmm. I think I missed something. What's not G-rated about Trixie? :001_huh: I was just seconding Audrey's reminiscence about the faculty perk of long-term book borrowing and how it almost makes me miss academia.

Hmm. I think I missed something. What's not G-rated about Trixie? :001_huh: I was just seconding Audrey's reminiscence about the faculty perk of long-term book borrowing and how it almost makes me miss academia.

Oh! Well, I was thinking it was almost your favorite perk. Don't mind me. Overtired, mind in the gutter. The usual.

Nicole honey, I was going to tell you to get your mind out of the gutter but you figured it out on your own. That's what you get when you get your threads crossed.:D I would be happy to enable you and tell you to go buy the book but doesn't that remove the challenge? You know you could befriend the librarian, find out which prof has it, frequent the same cafe they frequent, and then remark loudly over coffee how you would love to read that book but some sorry slob has it for a whole year and is probably using it for a paperweight. Can you tell I should really be doing laundry instead of playing here?:tongue_smilie:

Oh, but now my curiosity is piqued about the name! Is there something about "Trixie" that implies a more-than-G-rated perk?

Oh, yes, ma'am. There is. I was so tired last night (worked all weekend) that I couldn't remember why I had this naughty association with the name Trixie. Well! Then a PM from Lisa reminded me. When I was in grad school, seminary, no less, there was a young woman who was financing her MDiv with an... unconventional job. I night job. A job that required very little clothing. She's probably the youth pastor for some of the children on this board now, so I won't say any more. Anyway, her professional name was Trixie. But don't worry. It's not in every world that the name is associated with that profession.

Nicole honey, I was going to tell you to get your mind out of the gutter but you figured it out on your own. That's what you get when you get your threads crossed.:D I would be happy to enable you and tell you to go buy the book but doesn't that remove the challenge? You know you could befriend the librarian, find out which prof has it, frequent the same cafe they frequent, and then remark loudly over coffee how you would love to read that book but some sorry slob has it for a whole year and is probably using it for a paperweight. Can you tell I should really be doing laundry instead of playing here?:tongue_smilie:

In an effort to swerve back out of Naughty Town here, I will respond to this. Very good ideas! Since I couldn't get access to that actual book yesterday, I read the first pages on preview at Amazon. Then I read the first pages of several of this other books. I might be able to satisfy my need by reading his other books. Oh, wait. There I go again.

:leaving:

Our county library has that policy for teachers, and homeschool teachers... So, you might as well not even try to get some of the classic homeschooling books like 100EZ or SOTW. They borrow them for a year instead of buying hteir textbooks. It's a nice perk, but really doesn't do most of us any good.