Menu

Need help for a friend... All in one, no prep, pre-scheduled curric. rec?

Annabel Lee

I've got a friend who homeschooled her kids for 1 yr, when they were K and 1st. This year she has a new baby and for her own other reasons, put them in ps. She talked to me today about how it's NOT going well at all. Her dd is now in 2nd grade. The teacher went through EveryDay Math with her, asking "Didn't your dd learn how to do this and this last year at home?". Most of what my friend described to me was her dd not being familiar w/ quirks unique to that curric., not a lack of basic math skill. The teacher gave this little girl a reading test from a list of 50 words (would that be the Dolce list?) and she scored 32. My friend gave me more examples of this, and also said to me "Did you know that some homeschool curriculum doesn't meet state standards!?". This teacher "informed" her of that. My friend has been warned that her dd will be held back a grade if she can't fit the mold (my paraphrase).

"P", my friend, was using Horizons Math, Abeka LA, SOTW, and I'm not sure what for the rest. But Abeka and Horizons are solid and certainly not beneath state standards. I told P. that the standards are listed online and that they do not state that a child has to be able to think of 6 ways to "get to" a number, as in EDM. In the Horizons math she was using, you just learn your addition/sub. tables and then you know all the "ways to get to" a given number. Argh. I am frustrated w/ her dd's teacher and I've never even met her. ANYHOW...

She is seriously considering bringing her kids back home for school. She has a baby and a toddler as well, so 4 total. Last year she expressed that her dd just seemed to be lost amidst all the phonics rules in Abeka, and that her dd was having trouble. She is considering Sonlight, the full sha-bang w/ SL LA, Science, Math, etc. so it's all on one schedule. The schedule seems to be what attracts her. She wants as near to zero prep & no making up your own schedule as possible. She wants to really keep it simple. I warned her that some ppl don't end up liking how heavy the reading schedule is w/ SL, but she said that doesn't bother her. She wants to know if there's anything else out there fitting those criteria (underlined above) to compare SL to before making a decision.

I'm concerned about her dd's reading - if she's having trouble, would SL be a good choice? I have their catalog but not exp. using SL. Does SL LA schedule in ETC? If so that would be just what they probably need. I think a math program like Saxon that holds her hand in teaching it would benefit them.

So... things I thought of and suggested to look at in addition to SL were:

MFW (I was considering this so I know a little about it)

Calvert (I used this, but only for a little bit of K one year - I don't know what older grades look like)

K12, Laurel Springs, Oak Meadow (none of which I'm familiar w/ at all - overview, anyone?)

I described TOG to her but since you have to add subjects to it, she said she wasn't interested. Will you please help me help her? I'll point her to this forum too when I see her tomorrow. She's not set on any particular sort of educational approach (classical, CM, Montessori, or otherwise); just something easy to implement, easy to use, and easy for her kids to grasp. BTW this is for a 1st and 2nd grader now.

Thanks! :)

Is she just stuck on Non Christian curriculum ?I noticed she used Abeka so maybe not.

I would suggest Christian Light to her if she is wanting a curriculum that is easy to use. She can add in Sonlight's books as well.

I used Sonlight for K and 1st and had a difficult time with the schedule. My daughters loved the stories and we would usually end up ahead and then have to tweak the schedule. I finally tossed the schedule and just read the books.

I mean I don't know how much easier you could get with CLE? Depending on the grade level instruction is set up in the workbooks and they get an excellent education. I would compare the curriculum to K12.

K12 is a great curriculum but its A LOT of work. It really is, and if her plate is full right now I wouldn't suggest it. Even though it is a very thorough program.

I'm using it with a cyberschool though so maybe its more work than what it really is for me. But from grades K-5th they really do require direct instruction.

Christian Light or Ace School of tomorrow is about as zero to barely any prep you can get.

given the ages of the kids I can see doing Sonlight core 1, it shouldn't have an overwhelming amount of reading.

Winterpromise would be good too if she or her kids are the type to really like hands on stuff.

Can WP include all subjects like SL? I know they have LA, but do they have math, etc.? I can't imagine trying to to both history and science from WP at the same time. Maybe that's just me. I'll take a look around their site - I'm just using WP for history only so I don't know off the top of my head.

Is she just stuck on Non Christian curriculum ?I noticed she used Abeka so maybe not.

I would suggest Christian Light to her if she is wanting a curriculum that is easy to use. She can add in Sonlight's books as well.

I used Sonlight for K and 1st and had a difficult time with the schedule. My daughters loved the stories and we would usually end up ahead and then have to tweak the schedule. I finally tossed the schedule and just read the books.

I mean I don't know how much easier you could get with CLE? Depending on the grade level instruction is set up in the workbooks and they get an excellent education. I would compare the curriculum to K12.

K12 is a great curriculum but its A LOT of work. It really is, and if her plate is full right now I wouldn't suggest it. Even though it is a very thorough program.

I'm using it with a cyberschool though so maybe its more work than what it really is for me. But from grades K-5th they really do require direct instruction.

Christian Light or Ace School of tomorrow is about as zero to barely any prep you can get.

No, the list of suggestions in my OP were only ones I could think of that are ALL subjects in one, or ones that I thought might be. Christian or secular is fine w/ her, although she is a Christian.

Thanks for the info on K12. I'll pass that info. about it along to her. Direct instruction isn't so much what she wants to avoid, after all, she likes the looks of SL. I had totally forgotten about CLE and ACE though. I'll add those to the list.

We used Calvert in 3rd grade, and while we did decide it wasn't for us in the long term, if someone were looking for an "open and go" curriculum, that's the one I'd recommend. The lesson manuals are to die for, IMO. Everything is there, she'd be sure they'd be meeting standards, there'd be the teachers available if she wanted that kind of backup, the program is rigorous, etc. :) If you want school in a box, what's not to like?:001_smile:

Can WP include all subjects like SL? I know they have LA, but do they have math, etc.? I can't imagine trying to to both history and science from WP at the same time. Maybe that's just me. I'll take a look around their site - I'm just using WP for history only so I don't know off the top of my head.

Sonlight does not actually include the math per se. They offer a few options but scheduling that is still up to the parent. Option include horizons, singapore, TT. Doing a history and a science from WP to me is no different than a Science and core from SL. Again the science is not scheduled in the main IG with SL it has it's own schedule. It sounds like she was looking at a newcomer package which allows her to order everything all together BUT not everything is specifically scheduled, or if it is it is not necessarily the level the child needs(like penmanship-which also has an option of styles or readers for example). The cost of the newcomer packages is insane. If she is drawn to SL, I would say order either core K or core 1, both would work for the age of her kids, if she wants an open and go science then sci K or 1 as well. Then have her order horizons math, WWE and FLL, and which ever penmanship program she likes from RR. She ends up with a better LA program than SL imo, the same math she trusts, and all for cheaper than ordering the newcomer package. WWE, horizons, FLL and her penmanship would be simply do the next thing books so no planning to do on her part. The core IG and the sci would be fully scheduled with it. Oh also if she wants bible study, you have to order that separately though it is scheduled in the core IG of her chosing.

So... things I thought of and suggested to look at in addition to SL were:

MFW (I was considering this so I know a little about it)

MFW can work too. I know they'd help on the phone with placement for language arts issues. And for math they recommend Singapore. Plans are all there. Library lists are there to help with cost and add in variety of reading for the child at different levels. In my years of using MFW my prep work is just reading over the day's lessons and making sure I have my supplies ready. I like that the supplies are things that I can zip over to wally world or grocery store and just pick up and have fun. Usually I have the stuff in the house already. And then every couple of weeks, I zip over to the library to get extra reading books. Makes for a nice hour or so away on Saturday morning for me to do library and groceries.

But it's always possible that is too much prep time for her. Everyone is different. But I've never felt overwhelmed from using MFW even in the midst of chaos in my life with special needs therapies for autistic child, and now with an out of state move after job loss. I find MFW very doable in the midst of all of that. My brain and hormonal balances are overwhelmed right now and I'm on meds with depression -- but I can do MFW. It's all planned for me and provides the strong academics my kids need and I want, and at the heart is a program with lots of Biblical perspective throughout the whole thing. I wasn't overwhelmed with the out loud reading until a semester where I had a dental issue with a tongue fungus. Then -- my husband did the read alouds in the evening and during the day, my oldest and middle children took turns reading out loud to each other from the package books b/c I could only talk for 10 minutes at a time and then have to rest for a while. So, even in the most bizarre days, the amount of reading was fine for us. We did lots of audio books that year too to get to book basket.

One idea in my mind has to do with general helps and hints of what to do with preschoolers while teaching olders. (No matter what curriculum she uses, those daily life management issues will be there.) I know there are some MFW workshops on CD that are about Occupying/Teaching Preschoolers while Teaching Olders. she might enjoy some of those general tips even if she doesn't use MFW.

Here's a link to their workshop titles and which ones can be bought from them

http://www.mfwbooks.com/workshops.htm

to your friend :grouphug: for some of that stress the teacher was heaping on her. Not all kids learn at the same rate in those years :grouphug:

-crystal

I have a friend who has 9 dc and uses Ace curriculum with all of them. Other than having lots of books around the house she doesn't supplement. Her dc are doing great :)

MFW is great too, some prep but not too much. The TM has it all laid out. DC enjoyed Adventures.

We enjoyed SL for a while. Love the IG. Didn't care for the LA at the time but then I was new to homeschooling and didn't understand a whole lot back then either;) If her dd is having trouble with reading she can always choose the level of readers.

WP also had everything scheduled. Never used their LA program but we are loving Math Mammoth.

CLE is not scheduled but easy to use. Even the non-sunrise isn't as difficult to use as some say. There is always a break somewhere and I just write 'stop' so my dc know not to continue.

TOG from what I hear their might be too much prep for her. I haven't use it but this is what I hear.

Calvert has everything scheduled and you get everything from books right down to the the erasers. We enjoyed our Calvert year.

Living Books Curriculum has a schedule and lots of good books. I haven't used it but the prep doesn't seem heavy. I don't think their TM has everything laid out for Mon, Tue, etc but more weekly. You read so many pages of this book and that, do a picture study and so forth but it's all on a weekly schedule rather then daily. Although you do need to ask them to narrate back and retell stories. They use PLL & ILL for LA but they are in a workbook format and make it easier to use.

Edited by Homeschooling6

From my experience (which I admit isn't as much as many) I have to say that the lit-based curricula are going to be teacher-intensive, at least for the younger grades. Yes, the planning is done for you, but it still takes a lot of time on a daily basis to implement. I am doing one that is supposed to be one of the easiest (Heart of Dakota) for just a few subjects and even that requires more of my attention then I would wish sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I think these curricula are the best in the way of education, I just would not classify them as the best bet for an overwhelmed mom. They do have the benefit of combining however, so that may make them worth it for some.

I would sooner suggest something like CLE, using the titles from the catalogs of SL, WP, MFW, HoD, etc as booklists for the library so they are still exposed to all that great literature.

I vote for K12. If it's the schedule she really wants, K12 not only has a schedule, it gives you all kinds of tools to use the schedule - you can view daily, weekly, by lesson, with or without materials list/s, progress bars, % of lessons completed, % of lessons left to complete, # of lessons completed, # of lessons to complete, it calculates the end date of each subject based on the progress made so far and how much is left to go, all with single click views. The Phonics in K & 1st is excellent. Like the other poster said, it's teacher intensive, and a lot of work, but IMO it's very much worth the effort - AND the effort is put into teaching instead of planning/spreadsheet making, materials list gathering, etc. Since using K12, I finally have fun weekends and vacation days with the kids, instead of planning all weekend and vacation long. :lol: Yet, I still find myself on this forum on a Sat. morning. What's up with that? :glare:

From my experience (which I admit isn't as much as many) I have to say that the lit-based curricula are going to be teacher-intensive, at least for the younger grades. Yes, the planning is done for you, but it still takes a lot of time on a daily basis to implement. I am doing one that is supposed to be one of the easiest (Heart of Dakota) for just a few subjects and even that requires more of my attention then I would wish sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I think these curricula are the best in the way of education, I just would not classify them as the best bet for an overwhelmed mom. They do have the benefit of combining however, so that may make them worth it for some.

I would sooner suggest something like CLE, using the titles from the catalogs of SL, WP, MFW, HoD, etc as booklists for the library so they are still exposed to all that great literature.

I agree that lit-based can be overwhelming. The HOD requires a lot of teacher participation up until Preparing.

I have also heard that Calvert's guides are great. I like Abeka's guides as well. They are really laid out for you.

Covenant Home looks like it has a good schedule set up as well. http://www.covenanthome.com/catalog/1 Click on one of the grades and scroll down to check out their day to day scheduling guide. It looks great.

I have never used Sonlight. I drool over it, but it is out of my price range.

I wouldn't be too hard on the teacher. They can only teach the methods that are in the books. They can't go outside the box. So to her it seems odd that everyone isn't doing the same thing. The kids in public school are so ingrained to go with the flow that there is no room to say that a child has math skill or reading skill developed if they don't score what their test says they should score. My ds6.5 transferred into public for the 2nd half of k after a combo of afterschooling/Montessori day school for 2 yrs.

He did not test well with their "sight" words. He hadn't learned to read by sight. His math was shaky b/c he was used to the beads and rods from Montessori. Luckily, his teacher was the same teacher my older dd had for kindergarten. She was understanding. However, she did tell me if he didn't pass the end of year test they wouldn't pass him.

I just told her I would bring him home again if that happened. In the end, I wound up bringing him home anyway. He did pass the test after I began afterschooling with HOD, but I didn't afterschool with the Bible or art activities. Just the math, reading (reading lesson), and handwriting as well as reading the history, science, and storytime outloud when I could. I hit the 3 r's with HOD hard though and he did pass the end of year test.

I do recommend if you are planning to send your child back to public school that you find out there math program and reading program and get your child used to it before you transfer them back. Especially if they are in the low grades.

Edited by OpenMinded

Thank you all for your loving responses and advice. I was over at P.'s house today and took a whole milk-crate full of curricula & catalogs of mine to go over w/ her. I thought she was thinking of pulling her dc out of ps soon to hs, but she is contemplating hs for next school year. She still wants to get familiar w/ things just in case; and also for possibly a little afterschooling this year. She was suprised to see how SL works - she thought the subjects were all much more integrated, and likes the idea of CLE. Thanks for the suggestions!