Menu

Sonlight Readers w/o Using Sonlight

2squared

How do you use the Sonlight readers without using the rest of Sonlight? If you use the readers, do you buy the package from Sonlight or use the library?

I bought the Level 2 Intermediate for my 2nd grader. I liked knowing that her reading was getting progressively more difficult using their schedule. She enjoyed the books and cruised through them. I am wondering if I could have used them more effectively (and slowly). I had her read and narrate the stories to me. She did reread quite a few of the books on her own.

Now I am looking at the Level 2 Advanced package, and the package of 20 books is $150. Yikes.

My son is reading the Int 2 readers. He writes a 1-2 sentence summary for eacy chapter and we go over it together.

Betsy

How do you use the Sonlight readers without using the rest of Sonlight? If you use the readers, do you buy the package from Sonlight or use the library?

I bought the Level 2 Intermediate for my 2nd grader. I liked knowing that her reading was getting progressively more difficult using their schedule. She enjoyed the books and cruised through them. I am wondering if I could have used them more effectively (and slowly). I had her read and narrate the stories to me. She did reread quite a few of the books on her own.

Now I am looking at the Level 2 Advanced package, and the package of 20 books is $150. Yikes.

I bought the SL 2 Advanced Readers Guide. I already had some of the books, bought some used, and ordered the rest through Amazon or Rainbow Resource. The guide has basic comprehension questions for each days' assigned reading. We've dropped their schedule b/c my son is reading a book an afternoon when we're home, and we've let the questions go by the wayside. Occasionally, I'll look over the Q&A to get a feel for the story and then let him narrate to me.

I just use the reader package as a suggested book list. I live near a thrift store that sells kids books for $.55 each so I browse their shelves regularly and pick up a ton of readers there. Since my son reads aloud, I ask him questions as he goes. He reads about 20 pgs. a day of the regular readers (levels 2-3) so a schedule would be pointless.

Once upon a time I did SL, and so I own LA and books for K, 1, 2, 2 Int and 2 Advanced. You can easily use them with other programs as I still use them. As to whether to buy them or not, do you have other kids that will use them? Do you think your dd will read them again? Do you have problems with fines with the library? If you have multiple children and/or have problems with fines it very well may be best to just order them from SL (or amazon). You can always sell them later, and SL sets often sell well. But if you only have one child and library fines are not an issue, then why not use the library?

Heather

Edited by siloam

Two of my boys are sharing the 2 intermediate package. It is their read aloud book; they read it to me, a few pages or a chapter or so every day. Sometimes we discuss the comprehension questions or mapwork from the IG, sometimes not. I have them read to me so I can keep tabs on their actual reading ability, and to let them realize that it is okay to take a book slowly and think it over. Both my guys tend to fly through books they read on their own. I also help them with their vocal patterns and use of expression (a.k.a. "speech" class without the pressure of performing for a audience).

Library and Goodwill (or other used book stores) are great places to find most of the SL reading lists.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

We use (and love) SL and use the Readers, I don't think it matters much where you get them or if you have the guide. Library, SL, used book stores, resales. . . whereever. . .

I think if you just get the list and have the child read through them in order (there is a progression to it), and make sure the child understands, then you have 99% of the benefit of the reader "program".

My dd6 is doing 2-Int readers along with Core 1, and for her:

- if she reads aloud, we just chat about things every chapter or two to make sure she knows what she's reading

OR

- if she reads silently (and thus I have no idea what happened in the chapters), I ask her the readers guide questions to make sure she understood. If you don't have the guide, this would be very easy for you to do by simply prereading the books a book or more ahead of time so you can ask one or two questions each day. . .

We used BJU Heritage Studies for 3rd & 4th grades, and I added SL readers that matched the period of history we were in. We used them as RA's mostly, and it was wonderful. Just reading the books together added so much to our BJU lessons. We didn't get through the whole core package of readers because we ran out of time. We still have some on the shelf to read later, and we will because they are all such great stories.

I did use the books for dictation often in 3rd/4th, but we didn't do a lot of written work with them since we also had our BJU, and other LA curriculum at the time.

I think SL reading programs can be added as a supplement to any curriculum plan just as well as they go with their own.

Blessings,

Lucinda