Menu

LDS at the door (this is not a debate, just a question)

We live out a bit and normally get noone to the door.

I was quite surprised Saturday when 2 LDS showed up at the door. But what surprised me even more was that they were both girls!

I wanted to talk to them but I was on the phone and it was a conversation I couldn't get off of.

Is this now common to have girls doing the door to door missions?

Dawn

Honestly, it doesn't sound all that safe. You describe your residence as 'out a bit' and to have 2 girls going up to stranger's houses seems unwise to me. I'm not attacking the LDS. I think it is an unwise move for any 2 young girls.

Girls are not encouraged to serve missions in the same way boys are but they are allowed to go when they reach 21 (vs 19 for boys) and they only serve for 18 months instead of 2 years.

Usually girls serve missions where they stay close to their assigned "home" turf... girls don't typically proselytize like the boys do. They often serve in visitor centers or university wards or the like.

Most likely the reason they ended up on your doorstep is that someone you know asked them to go. It's highly unlikely that 2 girls came far out like that tracting. (Tracting is what we call it when the boys knock on doors of people they don't know and weren't recommended by a member)

Girls don't tract often in general and definitely not typically "far out".

Women have been able to serve LDS missions for decades (at least). They are able to go when they are 21 and serve for 18 months.

(In contrast, men typically go at 19 and serve for 2 years.)

:iagree:

They have been less likely to go on a mission before since women only go if they are UNMARRIED by 21, and typically they would marry before that. There was almost a stigma on an unmarried 21 year old girl, but going on a mission helped give their singleness purpose.

In contrast young men were almost always expected go on missions when they turn 18 (unless they join the military first) and get married AFTER they come back.

But, I'm guessing today more LDS women are not getting married quite as early (though many still are) and so there are more female missionaries. When I converted to the LDS faith I worked with both males and females, but I felt much more comfortable with the girls. (I'm no longer LDS, but I was for several years in my early 20's)

One interesting note, the girls are able to drive cars while the guys have to walk or use bikes.

DH said they rode up on their bikes and were seen coming from the neighbor next door's house.

We live on a cul de sac with only 5 homes and we all have at least 2 acres....so it isn't really "remote" but is not your typically subdivision where you can quickly go from door to door either.

Dawn

Girls are not encouraged to serve missions in the same way boys are but they are allowed to go when they reach 21 (vs 19 for boys) and they only serve for 18 months instead of 2 years.

Usually girls serve missions where they stay close to their assigned "home" turf... girls don't typically proselytize like the boys do. They often serve in visitor centers or university wards or the like.

Most likely the reason they ended up on your doorstep is that someone you know asked them to go. It's highly unlikely that 2 girls came far out like that tracting. (Tracting is what we call it when the boys knock on doors of people they don't know and weren't recommended by a member)

Girls don't tract often in general and definitely not typically "far out".

(quote) One interesting note, the girls are able to drive cars while the guys have to walk or use bikes. (quote)

Actually, guys can use cars, also. Our local male missionaries use a car and walk, and have, in the past, used bikes. It is up to the local LDS missionary leaders.

(quote) One interesting note, the girls are able to drive cars while the guys have to walk or use bikes. (quote)

Actually, guys can use cars, also. Our local male missionaries use a car and walk, and have, in the past, used bikes. It is up to the local LDS missionary leaders.

Huh, maybe it's a regional thing? This was while I was in the DC area, but the 2 female missionaries who were with me told me that the girls could use cars but the guys had to walk or use bikes. I think it was a safety thing.

I was quite surprised Saturday when 2 LDS showed up at the door. But what surprised me even more was that they were both girls!

I wanted to talk to them but I was on the phone and it was a conversation I couldn't get off of.

Since you didn't talk with them are you sure they were LDS? Did they leave literature? We most often see young men with LDS. Whenever teams of women come to our neighborhood, I can almost guarantee they are JW.

Just a thought unless you received literature, in which case you KNOW they were LDS. :)

When the JWs come to the neighborhood, it is most often two women at each door (two teams; one for each side of the street) but there is usually a male driver who waits for them.

I served as an LDS missionary when I was 22-23. Depending on the area, both sisters and elders (what we call the female/male missionaries) may have bikes or cars. They are assigned specific geographical areas--some areas may be smaller in size than others--and not all will be able to have cars (I'd imagine due to money restraints rather than not allowing cars for some odd reason...). At one point on my mission, four of us shared a car--so we might have the car on T, Th & S, for example.

Our safety was most certainly emphasized and we were often cautioned about what types of situations we ought to avoid. For example, we would never go inside a home unless another female was there...two sisters would not go in to teach a single man; needed to be home by a certain hour; in fact, at the end of each day, we called in to report that we were safe & sound at home.

But yes, sisters also go door to door. And again, each set of missionaries is assigned to a geographical area, so will routinely visit various parts of that area.

Perhaps one of your neighbors was referred to the missionaries by someone--and then they thought, while we're all the way out here, let's knock on these doors, too. :001_smile:

No, it was LDS. They rode bikes, had backpacks on, and said, "We are from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints" before leaving me with LDS literature.

Dawn

Since you didn't talk with them are you sure they were LDS? Did they leave literature? We most often see young men with LDS. Whenever teams of women come to our neighborhood, I can almost guarantee they are JW.

Just a thought unless you received literature, in which case you KNOW they were LDS. :)

When the JWs come to the neighborhood, it is most often two women at each door (two teams; one for each side of the street) but there is usually a male driver who waits for them.