Menu

If you have 2 DC working together - how many textbooks?

freerange

If you have 2 children close in age & have them covering the same material, do they share a text book, or have one each?

If we're snuggling as we read, then sharing a book works fine. When we're at the table for written work I sit across from them & I'm thinking that a 2nd copy would make life easier for me than having to read upside down. I can read upside down fine in English, Latin however... Which then got me wondering how everyone else approaches this?

Have to say I buy only one. If it's stuff we do together, we sit on the couch with me in the middle, and all look at one book. If it's stuff they do independently, so far there's enough to do that they can take turns (this was even true for LOF).

It may be changing a bit now that they're getting older (6th this year). The big first exception this year was CPO Science - they read it independently and answer all the questions, which can take a while, and - I got it cheap at $12 each.

The second big exception will be when we leave Singapore Primary Math (1 text, two workbooks) for Discovering Mathematics - since all the problems are in the text, I bought one for each child.

But for Pre-K through 5th, I've managed quite well with one textbook (but multiple workbooks) for everything.

Definitely easier to have two copies for anything other than snuggle-on-the-couch-together work. Obviously if every penny is desperately needed, a single copy can work. But if it can work with the budget, I definitely find it easier to have two copies of the Latin book or whatever...

If you have 2 children close in age & have them covering the same material, do they share a text book, or have one each?

If we're snuggling as we read, then sharing a book works fine. When we're at the table for written work I sit across from them & I'm thinking that a 2nd copy would make life easier for me than having to read upside down. I can read upside down fine in English, Latin however... Which then got me wondering how everyone else approaches this?

One copy here.

Mine share.

We do science and history with one book. We used to work all together, sitting on the couch to read and discuss. I don't have the time to sit and read with them much anymore so I schedule them to take turns with the books. One does science while the other does history, and then they switch. The way we do school, we switch subjects every 30 minutes. If they are done before the timer rings, they have free time until it rings. That eliminates problems with one working faster than another and needing the book that the slower one is using.