Menu

Just Starting... can't choose between 2 curriculums

mamawaabangi

I use to teach at a classical school that used some Veritas Press... I LOVED it... I know what to expect, and it is what I like to teach. However, it doesn't "plan" for you. It doesn't plan Bible lessons, memory, or practical skills, it is kind of "a la cart"

I've also looked at Sonlight and I like the organization of it, how it plans memory, practical skill, and other... however I'm not wild about all the books and it seems less classical... and a bit overwhelming... for K there is bible reading, history reading, read aloud, and phonics reading... it seems a bit redundant... still I like how it plans the charts per-week... but if I don't do all, that could get confusing I think. Also, it seems less visually appealing...

Does anyone have any experience with the two, or could offer another curriculum that is organized but offers more "classical" readers.

I am a HUGE Sonlight fan. I have used all their cores (oldest is now in college) and have loved them all. We have really enjoyed most of the books and have not found any redundant. Read Alouds are books that are above the students own reading level, so they are challenged with more complex plots and a wider vocabulary - but they are not overwhelmed as a parent is reading and explaining as necessary. Readers they do by themselves. The history books are non-fiction and supplement the spines for the core. They make history come alive.

Of course, the schedule is great ... I appreciate not having to plan the year.

Btw - many Veritas books are also Sonlight books - I get their catalog too as we often finish our Sonlight books and look for extra reads.

Meryl

I think they are both great choices. Veritas will give you a more classical and chronological approach to history while Sonlight is not chronological and doesn't follow the history cycle strictly speaking. Some years are only World and others only American, etc. In the younger grades the readers aren't keyed to the history either. We use SL, but if you're wanting a classical curric. it may not be for you.

I second Cadam's suggestion.

Most of the curriculum we have used for dd has been sort of "self-planning." SOTW, Saxon Math, Rod and Staff Grammar, SWO, Prima Latina--all of these are just "do the next thing," with very, very little planning involved.

According to WTM, you do history 2 or 3 times a week, about a chapter a week (you double up on some to get thru 42 chapters, but it's not hard at all). Saxon and Rod and Staff have great teacher manuals (Saxon is actually scripted), and SWO and Prima L are just one chapter a week or so.

It is truly, truly not difficult to schedule these and many other resources. I'm not sure why people think so.

Do you think it would be possible to use the SimpleCM planner with the Veritas curriculum? Is that a solution? :blink: It seems too simple...

Tell me about the CM planner...

If your talking about "Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education" by Sonya Shafer it's great. I used this to gauge how many pages to read in books and how many lessons we need to cover a week. We are currently using textbooks and it worked for us.

I'm sure it will work with Vertas Press or any style of homeschooling:001_smile:

Have you considered TOG? It is classical, and includes Bible, LA (except Spelling and Grammar), government, philosophy, geography and fine arts. It has many choices, and has things really organized and laid out for you. We are finding TOG to be a wonderful curriculum as we use it for the first time this year. We are supplementing it with SOTW, and my dd loves it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am interested in TOG, but someone told me that you shouldn't use it with K or 1st graders... that it is just too hard? Is that true? I plan on using it, mainly because I have 3 kiddos all right in a row (4,2,1) ... I was planning on switching to it later... can I start that in K?

Of course you can! It is geared for children of all ages. It just gets more challenging as they progress to higher levels. There is plenty there for little ones (Lower Grammar level) to learn and enjoy. Ideally, one student would go through each year's study a total of three times...but you could customize it to fit your needs. Just start with the level of your oldest child and begin them on the year plan that you choose (I would recommend Year 1), and follow the LG lessons. Just include the little ones in on whatever way they can understand and appreciate, bringing them in when they are ready for school. A lot of teaching the little ones is about introducing ideas, facts and word familiarity.

Blessings,

Lucinda