Menu

Help: Need Snuggly, Cozy Read Aloud Suggestions for December

Sahamamama

They have to be chapter books ;), because she's a big girl now, you know. So far this year we've read Nursery Rhymes & Lullabies, Nursery Tales, Aesop's Fables, James Herriot's Treasury of Animal Stories, Just So Stories, Five Little Peppers, Betsy-Tacy, Pollyanna, Peter Rabbit & Other Tales, Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy, and are currently reading Heidi.

I'm stumped. Looking ahead to December, I'd like something really snuggly and Christmas-y (set around the Christmas season), not springtime and bunnies and chicks and talking chipmunks and stuff. :D Think SNOW. And COLD. And old-fashioned (she likes this). Christmas, Christmas.... I can't think of anything to fit the bill. Help?

I've tried searching the online catalog for our library system.... how do I sort through something like 1274 juvenile books about Christmas?

Edited by Sahamamama

Oh - how about Baby Island? Two sisters are shipwrecked with babies and take care of them. They get rescued on Christmas day by their father and the babies' parents. Its a chapter book and both of my girls loved it - several times over.

Most of my favorite kid's Christmas books are picture books. Here is a great list of good Christmas books.

They have to be chapter books ;), because she's a big girl now, you know. So far this year we've read Nursery Rhymes & Lullabies, Nursery Tales, Aesop's Fables, James Herriot's Treasury of Animal Stories, Just So Stories, Five Little Peppers, Betsy-Tacy, Pollyanna, Peter Rabbit & Other Tales, Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy, and are currently reading Heidi.

I'm stumped. Looking ahead to December, I'd like something really snuggly and Christmas-y (set around the Christmas season), not springtime and bunnies and chicks and talking chipmunks and stuff. :D Think SNOW. And COLD. And old-fashioned (she likes this). Christmas, Christmas.... I can't think of anything to fit the bill. Help?

I've tried searching the online catalog for our library system.... how do I sort through something like 1274 juvenile books about Christmas?

Not cold and Christmas...but we LOVED loved loved the Little Pear books by Eleanor Francis Lattimor...

They were so much fun to read, I wish there were more than 3.

We also loved My Father's Dragon series. Very sweet books.

~~Faithe

(wintery cold season or feel)

- A Little Princess (Burnett) -- riches-to-rags-to-riches Victorian England, cold attic in winter

- Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- snowy Victorian winter, 2 girls escape evil governess

- The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (Lewis) -- "always winter and never Christmas"

- Snow Treasure (McSwigan) -- WW2 Norwiegan winter, children sled the country's gold to safety

- Mountain Born (Yates) -- year round on a sheep farm, with a lovely chapter on Christmas Eve

- The Hundred Dresses (Estes) -- set partly with winter and Christmas coming

- Understood Betsy (Fisher) -- year round on a farm, with winter in some chapters

- The Bears on Hemlock Mountain (Dalgliesh) -- set in winter

- The Middle Moffitt (Estes) -- charming chapter on writing letters to Santa, Christmas morning

(involves Christmas)

- The Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- absolutely charming adventures set at the North Pole

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Robinson) -- very funny story set at Christmas

- Christmas Every Day (Howell) -- Victorian girl gets her wish for Christmas every day and regrets it

- The Tall Book of Christmas (Smith) -- lovely, illustrated collection of short stories, poems, etc.

- Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer) -- picture book; poor boys on cold Christmas Eve night

- Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree (Houston) -- picture book; WW1 snowy Christmas Eve

- The Christmas Knight (Curry) -- picture book; a generous knight on a snowy Christmas day

- Light at Tern Rock -- winter/Christmas in a lighthouse

Edited by Lori D.
removed extra words