Menu

Answer this analogy for me

cola : drink ::

A. cucumber : vegetable

B. hamburger : hot dog

C. water : liquid

D. coffee : caffeine

The answer key says A. We say C, especially when you consider that cucumbers are technically fruits.

This question was on a sample test for the SCAT.

The answer key says A. We say C, especially when you consider that cucumbers are technically fruits.

I think it could be A or C, except for that annoying fruit/vegetable thing. :lol:

Guest Virginia Dawn

The fruit question aside, cola is a kind of drink and cucumber is a kind of vegetable.

Water is a kind of liquid so it could work but not all liquids are consumable. Drinks and vegetables are, maybe thats the logic. However, it looks iffy to me too.

I would've gone with A. Cola is a specific kind of drink, cucumbers are a specific kind of vegetable (or fruit, whatever :p). I would not have gone with water, liquid, if only because I think water can be a liquid, but does not have to be (it could also be a solid or a gas) and since liquid is a state of being, it would be different than the sort of comparison between something specific and the category it comes from.

Clear as mud, lol

Although you're right about the cucumber=fruit, here's why I'd say C is not valid: cola is a type of drink, cucumber is a type of vegetable (fruit), and water is a type of liquid. But there is water in many liquids that are not water, while there is not cucumber in other vegetables, nor is there cola in other types of drinks (unless you're mixing drinks, but you get the picture).

I would've gone with A. Cola is a specific kind of drink, cucumbers are a specific kind of vegetable (or fruit, whatever :p). I would not have gone with water, liquid, if only because I think water can be a liquid, but does not have to be (it could also be a solid or a gas) and since liquid is a state of being, it would be different than the sort of comparison between something specific and the category it comes from.

Clear as mud, lol

I was going to say, :iagree:, but then you could say that water as a solid is ice, not water, and water as a gas is vapor, not water. Clear as mud!:001_smile:

Clear as mud, lol

:iagree:A cucumber is always a vegetable (although technically a fruit), but water is not always a liquid.