Menu

To the slow cooking yogurt makers on the board

THANKYOU!! We just made our first batch yesterday afternoon, potted this morning and it looks fab :)

Thanks for sharing your recipe's, tips and tricks.

I used malted milk instead of powdered milk because i ran out of powdered milk and didn't have time to pop to the shops. I am hoping for a sweet, thick, rich yogurt for desert tonight. Looking good at this point.

Total cost to produce 2kg yogurt $3. Total cost 2kg store bought (our usual brand) $11.20.

THANKYOU!! We just made our first batch yesterday afternoon, potted this morning and it looks fab :)

Thanks for sharing your recipe's, tips and tricks.

I used malted milk instead of powdered milk because i ran out of powdered milk and didn't have time to pop to the shops. I am hoping for a sweet, thick, rich yogurt for desert tonight. Looking good at this point.

Total cost to produce 2kg yogurt $3. Total cost 2kg store bought (our usual brand) $11.20.

Amber, can you link to a thread, if there is one? I'd love to check that out. Did you use a specific recipe/method that you can share? I was just thinking about this today while I was contemplating paying $4.59 for another tub of Greek-style yogurt *sigh*

Hi Melissa,

Always happy to share.

I first read about it on this thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134829&highlight=yogurt

Then i checked out the blog mentioned http://foursquares.squarespace.com/home/2009/7/26/homemade-yogurt.html

Then i did a couple of google searches. I found that the blog recipe was infact VERY good. This is the recipe i used, except like i said malted milk instead of powdered.

I didn't drain it at all because the consistancy looked OK to me. Maybe we have runnier yogurt here than you do?? Anyway i will see once it sets :D

Just coming back to this thread now. Sorry i missed all the responses. Going to try respond to everyone now.

Well, it turned out great. It was a little runny in the end and a little tart but we still ate it and enjoyed it. I think i just left it to set for too long in the crock pot and perhaps it wasn't warm enough either. Plus it also turns out that the culture that i used was a little on the cheesy side and not a very great tasting yogurt in itself. We are going to try a different starting culture when we do another batch tomorrow.

The malted milk worked fine i think. It is malted barley and/or rice with milk solids and some vitamins and minerals. The one i have actually doesn't have any additional sugar. I didn't get it in bulk but you probably can. I have restocked the powdered milk now so will use that this time.

I didn't transfer mine to smaller pots until it was set in the crock pot in the morning. Since looking at a few more recipes i have decided to pot after mixing through the culture and let it set in the pots not in the crockpot. I have been experimenting with where to put it to set and think it will work OK on top of the oven wrapped in towels with the oven on. I have tested the temp there at between 35 and 38C so right around the 100F mark which is apparently the right temp to activate the cultures.

My plan is to let tomorrows lot set during the day for about 6 hours which is much less than the last batch. Hopefully we will get a better taste & consistency :)