Menu

What kind of 'range,' cooktop, oven, fridge do you have?

We have to go out today and begin selecting new appliances for our kitchen (water damage - leaking pipe - we were on vacation - kitchen ripped out to wall studs).

Dh and I know that we will have to be out of pocket for some of the cost as we are looking at high end appliances - if we have to re-do this kitchen, we are going to try and do it the way we thought we would do it three years or so down the line -- as this was not in our plans for right now.

Anyway, has anyone done the appliance thing recently? What did you buy, what did you like, what did you not like?

DH is drooling :001_tt1: over AGA ranges and their other products )but he has been doing that for five years now) -- I think that to appease him, I may let him do the AGA range BUT does anyone here have any experience with their products?

I like the look of Electrolux, LG, Kitchenaid - Samsung - just about everything I have looked at. We have a very small kitchen -- these appliances are going to have a huge impact. I am going for a cottage-y look as we live in a cute, little, brick raised rambler.

I also have a feeling that after we spend alot of $$$ on appliances, I am going to have to actually USE them.....you know, cook and stuff like that!:svengo: We'll also probably be painting cardboard boxes to look like cabinets by the time we buy the appliances and we will not have a cent left.:glare:

TIA!

Edited by MariannNOVA
clarify my question

Consumer Reports has a kitchen edition. My mom borrowed a copy from her library for her recent kitchen remodel. If I remember correctly for gas cooktops and ovens the Kenmore Elite (Sears) was ranked number 1 and the GE Profile number 2. For dishwashers the Kenmore was near the top of the list. I would also check out the Bosch dishwashers, too. For fridge go with what you like as far as features, size and storage.

Have fun choosing you appliances.

We'll also probably be painting cardboard boxes to look like cabinets by the time we buy the appliances and we will not have a cent left.:glare:

Having an AGA is worth it! I think I like them so much because they've appeared in lots of books I've read. I don't have one, mind you, just a yearning for an AGA and a cottage in the U.K. or Ireland to go with it.

We have an Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator. I like it because it can hold large pizzas and turkeys. The huge side-by-side we had before was useless for holding lots of food, especially big food.

You can get good advice on AGA's here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/ . They also have an appliance forum, but go to kitchens first. That's where all the high end kitchen people hang out.

Edited by RoughCollie

Don't get a Frigidaire refrigerator/freezer. My SIL both got Frigidaires within a few months of each other. They were different models (mine had a freezer on top, hers was a side-by-side). They both needed repairs 4-5x/year. It was a pain.

I haven't had any problems with my Maytag dishwashers or fridge/freezers.

I really like my LG microwave. It's the first microwave I've had that wasn't already in the house (the one that came with the house finally died). My favorite part is that I can use the kitchen timer feature while also microwaving. Not all microwaves have this feature.

My advice would be to get the extended warranties because replacing parts on new appliances is hugely expensive. I bought a pricey GE fridge last year and was livid when they suggested a replacement package (I was replacing a 30 year old fridge and it really ticked me off to think I'd need to pay extra to keep up this fridge for 4 years!). I should have bought the warranty because now the icemaker is broken and the replacement is $160 plus labor.

I bought an $800 Bosch dishwasher and within a year the electronic control panel needed replacing and it would have been $320 just for the part. Speaking of Bosch, I've had loads of trouble with this dishwasher--it's quiet but it's also had 12 service calls: the control panel, new motor and pump, and last week they were here to fix the door and rack parts that are falling off. Needless to say I'm not recommending Bosch. It *is* quiet which is about all I can say for it. I did buy it on sale and thankfully put all of what I saved into an extended warranty.

Appliances just aren't build to last anymore. The repairman told me that he has customers that have control boards go out on relatively new washers or dryers and people are opting to replace because repair is almost as much as replacing.

I have a 30 year old Tappan range and I'm not replacing it until it dies.

My advice would be to get the extended warranties because replacing parts on new appliances is hugely expensive. I bought a pricey GE fridge last year and was livid when they suggested a replacement package (I was replacing a 30 year old fridge and it really ticked me off to think I'd need to pay extra to keep up this fridge for 4 years!). I should have bought the warranty because now the icemaker is broken and the replacement is $160 plus labor.

I bought an $800 Bosch dishwasher and within a year the electronic control panel needed replacing and it would have been $320 just for the part. Speaking of Bosch, I've had loads of trouble with this dishwasher--it's quiet but it's also had 12 service calls: the control panel, new motor and pump, and last week they were here to fix the door and rack parts that are falling off. Needless to say I'm not recommending Bosch. It *is* quiet which is about all I can say for it. I did buy it on sale and thankfully put all of what I saved into an extended warranty.

Appliances just aren't build to last anymore. The repairman told me that he has customers that have control boards go out on relatively new washers or dryers and people are opting to replace because repair is almost as much as replacing.

:iagree: A couple of service calls and you have effectively repurchased your appliance. Although after about 6 or so years of paying the extended warranty you have also now paid twice for your appliance.

We have a Samsung bottom freezer refridgerator that I really like and haven't had any problems with. We have a Maytag double oven gas range - I like it but the oven temperature is a little sketchy. We had a repairman come out and he said that is just the way they are, the temperature fluctuates because of where the sensors are. Personally he said he would buy a 20 year old Hotpoint (or something like that) because ovens haven't been made well since then.

We have had nothing but trouble with every. single. Kenmore. appliance. I refuse to shop at Sears or ever buy another Kenmore. We had a range, dishwasher, washer & dryer and they were all a piece of junk and Sears service was abyssmal. :rant:

I also have a Maytag dishwasher that is working well and chugging along nicely.

I think if you can go with one manufacturer for uniformity, that is more desirable. Also, make sure you got with a manufacturer that has easily obtainable parts for repair. I have a friend who was going to with with Bosch appliances until her BIL, who runs an appliance store, told her the parts were hard to obtain if she had to have them repaired. We ran into this with our Fisher Paykel washer. It took 2-3 weeks to get parts when it broke. We were going to the laundromat for that time and it was a pain.

We had an AGA and switched to LaCanche Sully2200 (similar aesthetic). DH is a chef, so he really knows his stuff, and he says LaCanche cooks better. A lot of food in my AGA range came out undercooked. It also radiates heat, which can be a huge issue for us in the summer. They are nice, though. BTW, our model is huge: huge family, do lots of parties. You'd probably want to scale down. I think they are a bit nicer looking than AGA's as well

If he likes AGA, check out Bertazzoni. I have the Bertazzonie cooktop and love it.

If you are rewiring, it might be worth consider an induction cooktop, too.

I have a Kitchenaid Fridge (Superba), love it. Kitchenaid dishwasher - controls on top instead of in front, no pre-rinsing. Love it.

Oven is a basic GE, but when it dies, we'll replace with some kind of convection oven. This was the one appliance we kept when we remodeled last year because of our water damage.

Microwave is an Amana micro/convection combo and it is really handy!

Love the fridge with the bottom freezer. So much more room than a side by side.

Me too! Not a fan of side by sides!

Consumer Reports has a kitchen edition. My mom borrowed a copy from her library for her recent kitchen remodel. If I remember correctly for gas cooktops and ovens the Kenmore Elite (Sears) was ranked number 1 and the GE Profile number 2. For dishwashers the Kenmore was near the top of the list. I would also check out the Bosch dishwashers, too. For fridge go with what you like as far as features, size and storage.

Good info -- I will go to the library tomorrow and look for the CR - Thanks!:)

Having an AGA is worth it! I think I like them so much because they've appeared in lots of books I've read. I don't have one, mind you, just a yearning for an AGA and a cottage in the U.K. or Ireland to go with it.

We have an Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator. I like it because it can hold large pizzas and turkeys. The huge side-by-side we had before was useless for holding lots of food, especially big food.

You can get good advice on AGA's here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/ . They also have an appliance forum, but go to kitchens first. That's where all the high end kitchen people hang out.

I've drooled over the kitchens at gardenweb -- WOW! I've decided I want a kitchen like Timmy had in the original TV series of Lassie (the one with June Lockhart as mom) - everyone here is probably too young to remember - DH is TOO young to remember. Anyway - dh had a glazed over look today when the AGA was being explained to us. I do love the old-fashioned lines of the AGA fridge and D/W.

Don't get a Frigidaire refrigerator/freezer. My SIL both got Frigidaires within a few months of each other. They were different models (mine had a freezer on top, hers was a side-by-side). They both needed repairs 4-5x/year. It was a pain.

I haven't had any problems with my Maytag dishwashers or fridge/freezers.

I really like my LG microwave. It's the first microwave I've had that wasn't already in the house (the one that came with the house finally died). My favorite part is that I can use the kitchen timer feature while also microwaving. Not all microwaves have this feature.

THAT is a great feature on a microwave - the one we used to have did not have it. And thanks for the Frigidaire info. :)

Tappan brings back memories! And, you are right, appliances do not last like they used to. My parents had their first fridge for 19 years!

:iagree: A couple of service calls and you have effectively repurchased your appliance. Although after about 6 or so years of paying the extended warranty you have also now paid twice for your appliance.

We have a Samsung bottom freezer refridgerator that I really like and haven't had any problems with. We have a Maytag double oven gas range - I like it but the oven temperature is a little sketchy. We had a repairman come out and he said that is just the way they are, the temperature fluctuates because of where the sensors are. Personally he said he would buy a 20 year old Hotpoint (or something like that) because ovens haven't been made well since then.

We have had nothing but trouble with every. single. Kenmore. appliance. I refuse to shop at Sears or ever buy another Kenmore. We had a range, dishwasher, washer & dryer and they were all a piece of junk and Sears service was abyssmal. :rant:

I also have a Maytag dishwasher that is working well and chugging along nicely.

I like the look of the Samsung products! I do know that the service with Sears can be VERY spotty - and if you cannot count on service, that's not a good thing.

my personal opinion is that home warranty insurance is better than individual extended warranties. For $400-500/year, you get *everything* covered, including the major appliances like central a/c.

:iagree: YES! and trust me, that saved our you know what a few houses ago when the CAC died.

I think if you can go with one manufacturer for uniformity, that is more desirable. Also, make sure you got with a manufacturer that has easily obtainable parts for repair. I have a friend who was going to with with Bosch appliances until her BIL, who runs an appliance store, told her the parts were hard to obtain if she had to have them repaired. We ran into this with our Fisher Paykel washer. It took 2-3 weeks to get parts when it broke. We were going to the laundromat for that time and it was a pain.

I like the FP drawer dishwashers! And, availability of parts is a good point. And, ask me about going ot the laundromat since we have been out of our house (water damage) for two full weeks now and without a washer for 6 weeks :glare:.

We had an AGA and switched to LaCanche Sully2200 (similar aesthetic). DH is a chef, so he really knows his stuff, and he says LaCanche cooks better. A lot of food in my AGA range came out undercooked. It also radiates heat, which can be a huge issue for us in the summer. They are nice, though. BTW, our model is huge: huge family, do lots of parties. You'd probably want to scale down. I think they are a bit nicer looking than AGA's as well

OMH - I looked at the LaCanche Sully -- it is absolutely GORGEOUS! Much nicer looking than the AGA. Today we drove 1 hour 15 minutes in each direction to go to Timonium, Md to see the AGA and the Bertazonni -- not sure if I can convince DH to go next weekend 1 hour 15 minutes in the other direction (I looked up where the LaCanche dealer is) -- but, I have to see everything b4 I make a decision. Thanks!:001_smile:

If he likes AGA, check out Bertazzoni. I have the Bertazzonie cooktop and love it.

If you are rewiring, it might be worth consider an induction cooktop, too.

I have a Kitchenaid Fridge (Superba), love it. Kitchenaid dishwasher - controls on top instead of in front, no pre-rinsing. Love it.

Oven is a basic GE, but when it dies, we'll replace with some kind of convection oven. This was the one appliance we kept when we remodeled last year because of our water damage.

Microwave is an Amana micro/convection combo and it is really handy!

I liked Bertazzoni - but we have electric only so they will not work. The AGA has a convection feature -- I may let him have his way on this -- he has been drooling over them for five years now -- thanks for the info. :001_smile:

Thanks to everyone for the info -- thankfully, I've arrived home with a specific plan for the kitchen (see the beginnning of this response - I'm going for the 'Lassie and Timmy Farmhouse-Feel Kitchen' - dragged into the year 2009. I think I can live with it -- DH doesn't have a clue what I am talking about (he's too young), but that's okay!

Thanks again!

BTW I spoke to dh about this later on and he said AGA cooking is simply not as easy to cook with as LaCanche. He recommends Molteni for a similar aestheic, better cooking, MUCH cheaper. Hope this helps

Okey dokey -- thank you so much! I have to tell you, though, that LaCanche is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!:001_wub:

Mariann

For 30 years we've been very happy with Kenmore -- both their appliances and their service. Not anymore. As another poster said -- abyssmal. I doubt that we'll ever buy an appliance from Sears again.

And a tip for those of you who are looking for after-warranty service on a Kenmore appliance: Don't bother calling Sears. You can get far better, and far cheaper service from a local appliance repair business that does after-warranty service on Kenmore appliances. And I mean 1/3 the cost.

Edited by Janet in WA

Not by my calculations on this one. I think sale price was $800 and the 4 (5?) year warranty was $250 at the time of purchase.

Not by my calculations on this one. I think sale price was $800 and the 4 (5?) year warranty was $250 at the time of purchase.

If you are too young to remember Chevy Chase on Saturday Night Live, then you may not appreciate this-- but I still laugh just as hard when I see the re-runs of it:

"I was told there wouldn't be any math on this." :lol::lol::lol:

I don't have an AGA, but my neighbor does, and she loves it. She's a really cook/baker and raves about it frequently. I have Thermodore double wall ovens with convection; convection really cuts down on cooking time and evens out heat distribution for even browning/roasting. My cooktop is a 6 burner Thermador with cycling on/off burners that really help when slow simmering.

My love by Subzero refrig. The feezer is particularly good, never get freezer burn at all. My dishwasher is a super quite Bosch; it does the job well and is almost silent.

I don't have an AGA, but my neighbor does, and she loves it. She's a really cook/baker and raves about it frequently. I have Thermodore double wall ovens with convection; convection really cuts down on cooking time and evens out heat distribution for even browning/roasting. My cooktop is a 6 burner Thermador with cycling on/off burners that really help when slow simmering.

My love by Subzero refrig. The feezer is particularly good, never get freezer burn at all. My dishwasher is a super quite Bosch; it does the job well and is almost silent.

We had a sub zero in another house -- I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. And I had a Bosch d/w in another house and it was amazing -- if it was running, I could talk on the phone while standing next to it. Thanks for the AGA info -- honestly, I am getting appliance envy reading about everyone's appliances. Our kitchen is gutted to the wall studs and the sub-floor and last week not a lick of work was done.

thanks again!

My first fridge was a Frigidaire. We finally replaced it when it passed 18 years old; it had been repaired once.

After the Frigidaire we bought an Amana, bottom freezer. It's about 10 years old now and doing great. I will always have a bottom freezer.

The gas cooktop and electric oven in our house are Kenmores; both have had no issues. We are planning to install new countertops in the future, and we'll replace the cooktop and oven at that time, but I'm not sure what we'll buy, other than gas cooktop and electric oven.

In our last house we had an old electric, double-oven range. I believe it was a GE. Everything worked.

The dishwasher was also a Kenmore, and worked ok, but it had a couple of design flaws that caused us to replace it. We now have a Whirlpool, which we love. It's over 5 years old; we expect it to live forever. :-)

We just remodeled our kitchen last year. It was a full renovation from the ground up. New cabinets and countertops, new floor, new lighting, new bar, new plumbing, new sink, new garbage disposal (didn't have one before ;)) new backsplash and yes, all new appliances. It was a complete remodel.

After a lot of research we decided on Kenmore appliances from Sears. They were one of the highest rated appliances in performance, reliability and energy efficiency. We bought a new side by side fridge, new 5 burner stove w/oven, new dishwasher, and new over the range microwave. We have now owned them just over a year and have had absolutely no problems with them. I really like every piece.

Kenmore is a really good brand. I would definitely recommend it.