Menu

When to go to Dr for flu...

Yep--our turn. DD7 started running a 103.5 fever last night. Out of 18 children in her PS 2nd grade class 4 were out earlier this week with H1N1. We know LOTS of children and adults with H1N1... most have had mild cases.

We have great insurance--in fact it would cost us NOTHING but time to take her in--but her Dr is over an hour's drive--and I'm starting to feel bad--so not looking forward to a long drive and a long wait...

DD's only symptoms so far are the high fever, red eyes, and a very occasional cough. She also says she feels tired and dizzy when she stands up. I've been giving her oscillocococcinum since last night...

Normally I'm not one to avoid the Drs office--but there are LOTS of other things going around and that is the perfect place to catch them!

I'm leaning towards staying home--DH is freaking out and wants her to go in...

What to do....

My ds3 is getting over what I suspect is h1n1. His fever spiked to close to 104 two different times but was immediately brought down with advil. He wasn't having any breathing issues and otherwise didn't have any odd symptoms. Because his fever was manageable and the other symptoms we could handle we chose not to go to the doctor.

I hope your daughter feels better.

If you & your children have no underlying conditions, you're probably fine to stay home & monitor your condition.

If you or your child belong to any of these categories, you should consult a dr.

• Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
  • People 65 and older
  • Pregnant women
  • People who have:
    • Cancer
    • Blood disorders (including sickle cell disease)
    • Chronic lung disease [including asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)]
    • Diabetes
    • Heart disease
    • Kidney disorders
    • Liver disorders
    • Neurological disorders (including nervous system, brain or spinal cord)
    • Neuromuscular disorders (including muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis)
    • Weakened immune systems (including people with AIDS)

EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNS - get immediate medical care

In children

• Fast breathing or trouble breathing
  • Bluish skin color
  • Not drinking enough fluids
  • Not waking up or not interacting
  • Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
  • Fever with a rash

In adults

• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting

This is from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/sick.htm

best wishes & hoping for a speedy recovery for you

Can you call the dr. office to make sure? I heard that if it is H1N1 that you want to catch it right away, within the first 48 hours.

Also, if the dr. suggests coming in, maybe you could check out an urgent care facility closer to home. We have used Primacare near our home and you can call before you go and they will put your name on a waiting list so you don't wait as long in the office.

Hornblower - thanks for the check list - very informative.

Edited by Ferdie

I'm pretty sure my 15 yo has the flu, but I haven't taken her in. She has asthma, and I really don't want her exposed to even more viruses at the dr's office. By the time we realized she has the flu, it was probably too late for tamiflu. Some of my friends who have called the dr were told not to come in and just treat the symptoms, rest, fluids, etc.

We were told to not even dare darken the door of a doctor's office unless our kids were having complications. Going to the doctor exposes them to other germs that they will not get at home. If your child has trouble breathing, seems lethargic and listless, fever won't come down at all, she can't stop vomiting, then yes, take her in. Otherwise, I'd keep her home.

If you want tamiflu, then you probably will have to take her in. We don't do tamiflu here, so it wouldnt' have mattered.