Menu

Very sad story: *warning disturbing content*

Sadly, it is not uncommon for a cluster of teens to kill themselves. It happened at a Jr. high my friends went to. About 4 or 5 kids killed themselves in different ways, two at school. It is one of those things that maybe doesn't occur to kids, someone they know does it, they feel awful because they are gone, then they start thinking about it obsessively.

Anyone else thinking The Fringe, here? I am assuming the kids would have committed suicide anyway. They just may have done it differently. I think maybe some seriously depressed people feel that their life here had no effect so they want to at least go out with a bang. Plus there is the sure-ity factor. A gun shot can fail but jumping off of a tall building or in front of a train rarely does. It also doesn't allow for last minute changes of mind. People who do this are not crying for help. They really want to die.

This type of behavior is discussed in some detail in The Tipping Point.

I guess I should read this.

4 kids from one high school.

I read something from John Taylor Gatto gave called "Beyond Columbine" at one point, now I can't remember the details. I need to check my stack of papers to see if it's in there...