Menu

Do you have any backpack recommendations?

Kendall

For us and maybe for many homeschoolers, college is the first time our child needs a good backpack for books. My senior is taking a few CC classes this spring and has put a backpack on his Christmas list.

Any recommendations?

Features?

Brands?

I don't know where to start. I don't think I ever used a backpack!

Kendall

mom to 8

Well, I remember asking this same question a couple of years ago! My son needed to be able to pack his laptop as well as books. Sam's Club had a special buy on a Swiss Army brand which we ended up purchasing. This is the 2nd year of use and it has held up great.

I also liked the Timbuk2 brand. They have a nice laptop backpack. Check out Overstock.com for some good bargains.

Ds has used one from Eddie Bauer for the past year. He does a lot of walking at school, and takes his laptop everywhere with him. It has held up well. I recommend that you look for one that's waterproof - it's protecting lots of expensive stuff. Also, keep your receipt because many companies have replacement policies.

GardenMom

My son needed a large backpack and was happy with this one: &gclid=COWR0daPxJ0CFQRM5QodImP4yQ"] Jansport's Big Student backpack.

He tried a number of different backpacks. This one is squarish, so large notebooks fit. We found that the more oval-shaped backpacks didn't hold large square binders or textbooks well.

Look at the cubic inches on this backpack and compare to others if you need a lot of room.

PS: He got the solid black one, not the flowered pink one shown on the link!

Yes! Waterproof! That is what we will need....both schools at the top of my dd's list will require treks across campus between the Gen. Ed buildings and the Music building.

I'd like to know which are the best as far as waterproofing.

I'd also like recommendations for rain boots that ALSO are comfy with lots of walking. Those cute ones just aren't made for cross campus jaunts!

Yes! Waterproof! That is what we will need....both schools at the top of my dd's list will require treks across campus between the Gen. Ed buildings and the Music building.

I'd like to know which are the best as far as waterproofing.

I'd also like recommendations for rain boots that ALSO are comfy with lots of walking. Those cute ones just aren't made for cross campus jaunts!

The best way to make sure about waterproofing is to read the reviews about each backpack - believe me, they will tell! You can also buy some waterproofing spray at any discount or shoe store (we didn't use it). If you do choose to spray, do it over the summer, outside.

I bought my son waterproof sneaker-type shoes from LL Bean. They are more practical than boots. He wears an extra wide, and the only type that fits him well are the New Balance type (Waterproof Country Walkers, #966). I do not know what girls wear these days. Back in the day, when I went to the same school (VA Tech), guys would wear hiking boots in the winter. Girls wore what we called "duck shoes," rubber slip-on type things.

Also, unless your child is big and strong, you will probably not want a very large backpack. Most students don't need to carry around a binder for each class. Ds takes most of his notes for class on his tablet computer (which he loves). He brings along notebook paper and a clipboard/folder/file type notebook thingy called the Mead DuraFiler to take paper notes. I am buying dd spiral notebooks with perforated paper for her classes, because she's definitely the paper-and-pencil type.

Ds also has a small umbrella and a waterproof hooded jacket that can be layered. Naturally, he rarely remembers his umbrella or checks the weather before his 8AM classes (but at least he can't complain to me about getting wet!).

You are smart to think about these things now. College students at large universities are out in the weather a lot! PM me with your email address if you want my complete, way-over-the-top college packing list (in MS Word). BTW, many college items make great Christmas presents for high school seniors.

Blessings,

GardenMom

Thank you so much Garden Mom! I will definitely PM you! I have been trying to think through these things already...and picking the brains of moms with kids already on each campus. LOL!

I KNOW we need wet weather stuff. We have had LOTS of rain this fall! Days on end!

My teens live for months every year out of the LLBean bookbags we got them in kindergarten. They've held up very well, even the zippers. The easiest way to waterproof them is to wear a poncho or large slicka over them, or to carry an umbrella. Umbrellas are great as long as it isn't too windy, and then you don't need to bother with a raincoat. Wet raincoats are a pain when you have to take them on and off all day without them having time to dry in between. -Nan