PSAT Triage

What do they need to take with them?

Their homeschool code

Social Security Number

Calculator

Pencils/erasers

$13 check to pay for it

Anything else?

I forgot to register my son. I registered him by phone this morning (I know. I'm a bad mom.), but I do not have the materials they hand out ahead of time that tells us what he needs to take--the website just refers us to the handouts!

He's a sophomore, so this is the practice year. We'll be more organized next year. You'd think I'd never done this before...but I really DO have 2 kids in college! LOL!

I'm trying not to forget anything. Am I?

Thanks,

Jean

I don't think you're forgetting anything. Oh---check about ID! I know my dd needed ID for the ACT test, but I can't remember if she needed it for the PSAT. Are you taking it at your local p.s.? You might call the counselor to check on the ID thing (i.e., driver's permit).

Also, bottled water or juice and a snack, but undoubtedly these won't be permitted inside the test. Cell phones won't be permitted inside the testing area, either.

I wish I could remember more---I've been through this twice, and my middle daughter is about to take it this Wednesday (also for practice). I'm glad you jogged my memory. I'm going to call the school to find out; if I find out anything new, I'll post it here.

1. Do you have time to get a practice test from the school that shows all the personal information that has to be entered?

2. Make sure your son has memorized all the necessary information. Some proctors allow notes with codes etc. in the room; others don't.

3. At our local high school, the school counselor told me that she trains all of her proctors to check for the correct school codes and correct any mistakes. She suggested that my ds remind the proctor in a confident way that he would be using a different code obtained from an official source, and that the results were to be sent to our homeschool. The proctor for ds' test was happy that he knew what was going on because all she knew was procedure for their own students and had no clue what the homeschool code should be.

My dd is taking this year for practice as well. She is my oldest, so I am clueless. We are going to the DMV tomorrow to get an ID card, so that will be covered, and I just found the homeschool code on the college board website.

However, if I understand correctly, she can't take her purse, or her cell phone. How will I know when to pick her up? The materials the school gave us didn't have an end time for the test.

TIA

Edited by anissarobert

"What should I bring on test day?

No. 2 pencils and eraser

Approved calculator (see page 17)

Social security number (optional)

E-mail address (optional)"

I'm glad to see the SSN is optional. Interestingly, no mention of I.D. I guess they are usually just testing their own students so they don't check? Seems like a good idea for homeschoolers though.

Can someone tell me what the PSAT booklet has to say on approved calculators? (We didn't get the booklet from the school.....)

Ds will be bringing both a HP 50g and an HP 15C. We know he can use the 15C, but he would prefer to use the 50G. According to the general description on the College Board, the 50G is okay, but I'd love to hear any specifics about what the booklet says.

Can someone tell me what the PSAT booklet has to say on approved calculators? (We didn't get the booklet from the school.....)

Ds will be bringing both a HP 50g and an HP 15C. We know he can use the 15C, but he would prefer to use the 50G. According to the general description on the College Board, the 50G is okay, but I'd love to hear any specifics about what the booklet says.

From this booklet for test administrators (scroll down to page 6) -

Calculator use—Math questions can be solved without a

calculator; however, using a calculator on some questions

may be helpful to students. A scientifi c or graphing calcula-

tor is recommended. Students may not use pocket organiz-

ers; laptops and handheld electronic devices; cell phone

calculators; or calculators with a QWERTY (typewriter-like)

keypad, with paper tape, that make noise or “talk,†or that

require an electrical outlet. If students have calculators

with large (characters of 1 inch or more) or raised displays,

seat them apart from other test-takers. Students may not

share calculators. Students are advised to bring their own

calculators. Although some schools keep extras on hand,

schools are not required to provide calculators.

You may want to print out that page for ds to take to the testing center ;)

I doubt any proctor will fuss about his calculators. Be sure to send him with a fresh set of batteries ;)

Do they need a scientific calculator for the test? DD has not used one much in her math courses so far. (She is doing geometry right now.) I know the math part will be hard for her, but I wanted her to get the practice for next year anyway.

honestly, I think the best calculator is the one the student has the most experience and is the most comfortable with - he/she won't be as confident trying to figure out a new calculator - and it will kill precious time.

Thanks for this, everyone.

My dd has just tonight come down with the (thankfully, mild) stomach bug that dd5 and I had last week. Ick. Poor kid.

Forgive me for the dumb question - what actually IS the homeschool code???

***ETA: Never mind! Answered my own question. . . . . .***

Edited by HeatherH

Thanks for this, everyone.

My dd has just tonight come down with the (thankfully, mild) stomach bug that dd5 and I had last week. Ick. Poor kid.

Forgive me for the dumb question - what actually IS the homeschool code???

***ETA: Never mind! Answered my own question. . . . . .***

Don't feel bad Heather. I posted the same question, went to the web site, and then came back here and edited my post. Sometimes things are just too obvious. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the advice readwithem. She has done two practice tests without a calculator, but I thought it would be good for her to have, I just don't want to buy an expensive one right now.

My dear ds fell on Saturday and broke his writing wrist. He gets his cast this morning, so I don't know how far down his hand it will go, but I'm assuming it will keep him from using his right hand to write. :001_huh:

He's 10th grade, but I had him signed up for the PSAT this Saturday for much needed practice (the boy just doesn't do well on timed tests...) Now what? should I have him go anyway just for the experience, knowing his score will be awful? what would ya'll do???

My dear ds fell on Saturday and broke his writing wrist. He gets his cast this morning, so I don't know how far down his hand it will go, but I'm assuming it will keep him from using his right hand to write. :001_huh:

He's 10th grade, but I had him signed up for the PSAT this Saturday for much needed practice (the boy just doesn't do well on timed tests...) Now what? should I have him go anyway just for the experience, knowing his score will be awful? what would ya'll do???

I would contact the college board or testing site and explain the situation. I would think there would have to be some provision/accommodation for students who are permanently writing disabled; perhaps this will be a familiar situation for them. Can't hurt to ask.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's fall, and I hope he recovers well.

I would wait before making any decision. Perhaps he will be able to color in the bubbles without too much difficulty.

Also, since the PSAT is only for your/his benefit since he is a 10th grader, there is no harm in having him try it (even if his score is less than stellar). The same would not be true with the SAT since some colleges demand to see all scores despite score choice.

Regards,

Kareni