Menu

Singapore math US ed vs. Standard edition

Earth Yarn

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but I am having trouble finding it. :tongue_smilie: I am getting ready to order earlybird for my DS (very mathy almost 3 year old) I don't know which to order! If I start in the US edition will they eventually cancel it because of the new edition and then I won't be able to get books for my kiddos and have to switch editions or should I just start in standard edition now? What are the differences? Is it just set up in a different way for test taking purposes? Thanks so much!

:lurk5: I am curious as well since the Earlybird Kindergarten US series went out of print this year. I am a little nervous that they will phase out US edition over time as well.

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but I am having trouble finding it. :tongue_smilie: I am getting ready to order earlybird for my DS (very mathy almost 3 year old) I don't know which to order! If I start in the US edition will they eventually cancel it because of the new edition and then I won't be able to get books for my kiddos and have to switch editions or should I just start in standard edition now? What are the differences? Is it just set up in a different way for test taking purposes? Thanks so much!

I thought I read on their site that they will not be getting rid of the US edition...

Anyway, I compared the two, and IMO the Standards is better. We started out in earlybird with the US edition, but switched in Earlybird B and like it so much better. There seems to be more work pages and the site says they added things to the US edition and moved some things around, but didn't take anything out. Someone has said the HIGs for Standards is better too (I didnt compare the HIG). We are in 1A now and loven it!

Here is the link that explains the difference https://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm and also one with a side by side comparison https://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSUSandSTD2009.pdf.

It looks to me that the Standards is up to par with the Mathematics Contents Standards for California Public Schools. IMO it changes the content of the Singapore curriculum. I bought Signapore because it teaches differently than the US standards. HTH:)

Unless if I missed something when I ordered EB this past summer (which is possible-LOL), Standards was the only option. We are doing well with Standards and I like it so far. My very mathy dd flew through A and we are about to start B. I also supplement withThe Critical Thinking Company Level A math.

I chose the Standards edition. And I am very pleased that I did. My opinion was that I wanted Singapore for all of the reasons that make it so great, not one made into a U.S. edition.

At one point I ordered the textbook of the U.S. Edition of 3a while working on Standards 3a and I did not even like the look of the book at all compared to the Standards. But I did not compare the actual work.

Actually, the Standards edition is the most changed from the Singapore model. The US edition made primarily "cosmetic" changes: currency changes, name changes, etc. They did also add units in standard (US) measurement of feet/inches, etc. I think one other topic was added in Year 6.

The Standards edition has moved the order of topics around, and added in a lot of other topics as well.

The Standards edition has moved the order of topics around, and added in a lot of other topics as well.
Only a handful of topics are added, and the material for these was taken from an older edition of Primary Maths. The Standards edition has more review, and the reviews are supposed to be more sensibly spaced.

Don't quote me on this, but isn't the US edition of EB already gone? I wanted to get them for my 4yo, just for "fun". I ended up getting him the Essential Math kindergarten books. It seemed when I read the SM forums that they were the "replacement" for the US EB. I like them - they are bigger than the old books, but in B&W. Or there is the Standards Edition, but, frankly, I was not currently looking for lots of hands-on, and that's what the EB sounds like it mostly is now.

It looks to me that the Standards is up to par with the Mathematics Contents Standards for California Public Schools. IMO it changes the content of the Singapore curriculum. I bought Signapore because it teaches differently than the US standards. HTH:)

Your logic is faulty. As Moira pointed out, all these "Singapore Math" products are based on "Primary Math."

The Standards Edition teaches according to the Singapore Model Method. It is just deeper and slightly broader than the US Ed, because they included elements from the 3rd Edition that were dropped from the US Ed.

Also the HIGs for the Standards Edition have been improved based (in part) on feed-back from home educators.

The sequence has been slightly re-ordered to meet the California Standards. The California Standards have been awarded an "A" grade by independent Thomas B. Fordham Institute (one of only 4 States to receive an "A" rating). And in fact, California's math curriculum was rated the top in the nation.

http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/math.pdf

Following the California sequence doesn't mean they aren't teaching the Singapore wat.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

The Standards Edition teaches according to the Singapore Model Method. It is just deeper and slightly broader than the US Ed, because they included elements from the 3rd Edition that were dropped from the US Ed.

Actually, absolutely nothing was dropped from the 3rd Edition when they went to the US Edition - a few units were added on US standard measurements, and the money was changed to US, and they added a unit on fractions back to one book that had been dropped when Singapore went from the 2nd to 3rd Edition.

The other topics in the Standards Edition, if they are from older versions of Singapore Math, are likely from the 2nd Edition. Apparently Singapore itself dropped a bunch of units when going from the 2nd to 3rd Edition - the 3rd Edition was the "original" Singapore Math released in the US.

Here's a link to the "Singapore Math Story", and here's the excerpt germane to this discussion:

SingaporeMath.com received approval from MOE, Singapore to adapt the third edition with the following major changes:

• Add back a whole chapter that was removed in the 1999 reduced syllabus - "Division of Fractions".

• Add chapters on customary measurements for weight, length and volume. (The existing 3rd edition metric systems were not removed).

• Use American currencies instead of Singapore currencies.

Although look as I might, I can't see that any of the new units added to the Standards Edition (ie. grid coordinates, negative numbers, more and earlier units on variables) were part of the what Singapore dropped between 2 and 3 - if anyone can find what the heck it was they dropped other than division of fractions I'd be curious. I'm guessing the added chapters have much more to do with US norms as to when to introduce those topics than anything from Singapore. But if they were there or not, I don't see any harm in them for just that reason - I've ended up supplementing with other materials to add those topics, since they're taught earlier in the US and things like standardized tests assume exposure, and I wanted to make sure my kids had some.

If I were starting out today, I might very well choose the SE - I just wanted to clarify that the US Edition is not cut or abridged from the 3rd edition of Singapore Math - quite the opposite.

The other topics in the Standards Edition, if they are from older versions of Singapore Math, are likely from the 2nd Edition.
According to the Primary Maths FAQ:

Primary Mathematics third edition is what was used in Singapore and uses British spelling and other conventions used in Singapore. It is based on a second edition, which is no longer in print. Some content was removed in going from the second to the third editions. Some of this (division of fractions) was added back into the US edition, and more was added back into the Standards edition. We no longer offer the third edition.

and

Is the Standards Edition of Primary Math "dumbed down" compared to the US or third edition?

No, it is not. It does meet the math requirements per grade level for California, and so some topics were added and rearranged, but it maintains the integrity of the Primary Mathematics curriculum. Most of the content is the same as in the US edition and thus the third edition of Primary Mathematics, and some content was added in from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. In fact, it is probably in places a bit more challenging than the US edition because of the addition of material from the second edition of Primary Mathematics.

Although look as I might, I can't see that any of the new units added to the Standards Edition (ie. grid coordinates, negative numbers, more and earlier units on variables) were part of the what Singapore dropped between 2 and 3 - if anyone can find what the heck it was they dropped other than division of fractions I'd be curious.
Jenny at the SingporeMath forums would know.

Here's what I've picked out:

California Edition vs. Primary Edition: (Jenny) I like the Standards edition because it has more regular reviews (one in both textbook and workbook for every unit), brings in additional mental math and other problems from 2nd edition, and has a bit more reteaching. For example, 4A does go over equivalent fractions again, not just jumps right into addition and subtraction of fractions. This section had actually been in the 2nd edition but was taken out when they "reduced content" for 3rd edition. So it is a bit easier for students to staret into the program at a higher level.

Another Question About the Standards Ed: (Jenny) With the addition back in of material from the 2nd edition in the form of a bit more reteaching between levels, more mental math at 4 and 5 level, and some interesting problems that got removed, it is more like the "original" material. The additions in probability are perhaps a bit light, but too much makes the material too long, since concepts were not removed, and what is required is there. Another nice feature is a review for every unit, not just after several, or 2-3 in a row, as in some of the US edition texts (some of the oddities in the US edition resulted in "reducing content" from 2nd to 3rd edition, and US edition was just from 3rd edition, so there is an improvement in some areas, like fractions, I think, where a whole section was removed from 4A in going from 2nd edition to 3rd edition).

It appears I erred saying things were removed going from the 3rd Edition to the US Edition, rather that the removed material came from the 2nd Edition.

The salient point is the same. SE contains material not found in the US Edition, and the Standard Edition has improved HIGs.

All the versions teach the Singapore Model Method. There is no "bad" version. But given the choice, I've picked the Standards Edition.

Bill (who is sorry for any confusion on my part)

Let me raise my hand and say I'm a bit confused, lol. :confused:

I was looking at the Standards edition just now on Rainbow Resource, and noticed that there is a Home Instructors guide AND Teacher's Guide for each textbook. Does anyone know the main difference between these? I assume you wouldn't need both. The Home Instructors guides are a bit cheaper (well, a LOT cheaper), but just curious to hear if the Teacher's guides are better and worth the $50 price tag for one on one homeschool use versus classroom use.

Let me raise my hand and say I'm a bit confused, lol. :confused:

I was looking at the Standards edition just now on Rainbow Resource, and noticed that there is a Home Instructors guide AND Teacher's Guide for each textbook. Does anyone know the main difference between these? I assume you wouldn't need both. The Home Instructors guides are a bit cheaper (well, a LOT cheaper), but just curious to hear if the Teacher's guides are better and worth the $50 price tag for one on one homeschool use versus classroom use.

I own the level 5 teacher's standard edition since there was no HIG available for this level. The teacher's edition seems to be designed to help teachers understand the course material and see how it fits in with the curriculum as a whole. There are notes that refer teacher's to concepts and content taught earlier and provide bridging activities. After each lesson there are directions for which workbook exercise, extra practice section and/or test go with the lesson.

I like it better and think it goes into more depth than simply using the text alone.

One would probably not need to do all the practice problems, but I like that there are more choices and more background depth and descriptions than what is in the textbook to pick and choose from.

Good Luck :)

thanks for all the replies!! I am going to go with the SE I have one more question regarding the supplementary material with the US edition there was the intensive practice but I see an "extra practice" is the extra practice a "new" version of the IP or is it something totally different? Also there is only a CWP for us ed could that be used with SE or are they planning on eventually putting one out for the SE too? Thanks again everyone for your help!

The teacher's guide was made for the classroom teacher...the home instructor's guide was made for the homeschooler.

I have the 1A&B and 2A&B HIG (Standards) and they also help understand the course material, give extra activities to do, spells out the lesson and tells which WB/TB pages to use.

HTH

thanks for all the replies!! I am going to go with the SE I have one more question regarding the supplementary material with the US edition there was the intensive practice but I see an "extra practice" is the extra practice a "new" version of the IP or is it something totally different? Also there is only a CWP for us ed could that be used with SE or are they planning on eventually putting one out for the SE too? Thanks again everyone for your help!

The best of my understanding is the "Extra Practice" books are essentially more problems at the same level for children who need or benefit from extra practice. These are out now (at least for the levels we looked at).

The "Intensive Practice" books are (to simplify) "harder". They take the level of difficulty up a notch.

The IP books were not available for 1A/1B of Standards Edition when we started (and may or may not be still, I don't know) but Jenny at singaporemath suggested wwe use the US Edition IPs, and that has been fine.

The plan, from what I understand, is to roll out new IPs for the SE over time. Perhaps someone else is more up to date with the progress of the new IPs?

Bill

The best of my understanding is the "Extra Practice" books are essentially more problems at the same level for children who need or benefit from extra practice. These are out now (at least for the levels we looked at).

Bill

Here in Oregon, Bill, we just wish you'd move our way. We'd all sign our kids up for you to teach math!! You must spend half your time on math programs:D

Whew, I only wish I had your excitement about math :D ;)

Also there is only a CWP for us ed could that be used with SE or are they planning on eventually putting one out for the SE too?
All levels of CWP are out of print. SingporeMath.com plans to have a a comparable replacement product next year. I presume it would align with the Standards Ed.

We did US edition for 1 and are using Standards for 2. I'm very happy with the Standards edition. I'm using the US IP (very good) and also have the standards Extra Practice.

Extra Practice is one book for both A and B books. Level is very much on the workbook level, but I didn't feel that there was enough extra practice (drill) in 1, so I bought the Extra Practice book for 2. I keep debating whether I'll buy it for 3, but I will definitely get IP for 3. Even though it doesn't match up exactly, the main topics are still there and the IP gives good extra brain stretching.

If you're able to find CWP anywhere, I'd definitely grab them. They're excellent (and tough). The iExcel books are also really good to get for showing the bar models and how they work with basic arithmetic.

Here in Oregon, Bill, we just wish you'd move our way. We'd all sign our kids up for you to teach math!! You must spend half your time on math programs:D

Whew, I only wish I had your excitement about math :D ;)

See, and I want to ship my son to Moira (who actually lives in Oregon ;)) so....

Bill :D

Thanks so much guys for all of the help! My Dh will be the one teaching the math as I am the history/science person and he is the math wiz. I think he is going to really love working with this program and so will our DSs!!! I think I will try and collect some of the CWPs if I can find them!

Thanks so much guys for all of the help! My Dh will be the one teaching the math as I am the history/science person and he is the math wiz. I think he is going to really love working with this program and so will our DSs!!! I think I will try and collect some of the CWPs if I can find them!

One thing not discussed with the Earlybird was the "Activities" book, which some patient crafty-mom and their well-behaved angels might love (with all the cutting and pasting) but YOWZA! This was this not for me.

So we did a lot of manipulative play (Miquon and self-created) and did lessons from MEP (available to download without cost) to round-out EB, which I didn't "love" so much as "like". And I was happy to get to Primary Math 1.

Not to be negative, I'm just thinking of "boy energy."

Bill

One thing not discussed with the Earlybird was the "Activities" book, which some patient crafty-mom and their well-behaved angels might love (with all the cutting and pasting) but YOWZA! This was this not for me.

So we did a lot of manipulative play (Miquon and self-created) and did lessons from MEP (available to download without cost) to round-out EB, which I didn't "love" so much as "like". And I was happy to get to Primary Math 1.

Not to be negative, I'm just thinking of "boy energy."

Bill

LOL to "boy energy" What would be the best course of action for it being a daddy taught course when daddy is more of the mathy/sciency/tech background? (DH is a software engineer and going for a masters in mathematics) I have base ten blocks and other manipulative goodies here for them to work with and as creative as my hubby may be he is so not a cut and paste kinda guy LOL

I agree on the activities book for Earlybird. My DD loved it, but I don't see it working well with my squirmy son next year.

Also...Bill I just received my Miquon books from paperbackswap. The First Grade and Notes to Teachers that you suggested for the Miquon books. I had bought the Miquon in a group set with the ann. book, and thought that was enough until I read your comments. You were right! I have already read through the Notes and 1/2 of the First Grade book. I really like the First Grade book, so thanks for the recommendation.

See, and I want to ship my son to Moira (who actually lives in Oregon ;)) so....
You're *way* beyond me for elementary math, so I think you'd want to wait a few years (though I assume your focus will have shifted by then).

LOL to "boy energy" What would be the best course of action for it being a daddy taught course when daddy is more of the mathy/sciency/tech background? (DH is a software engineer and going for a masters in mathematics) I have base ten blocks and other manipulative goodies here for them to work with and as creative as my hubby may be he is so not a cut and paste kinda guy LOL

We got a great deal from using Miquon. And love the Cuisenaire rods and base-10 flats (100 value) but am not so fond of the individual "unit" blocks with base-10 as they encourage "counting" rather than seeing value.

And with Miquon, I was really inspired by the teachers books (especially the First Grade Diary) which changed and liberated my way of thinking about teaching math. Even a "math-geek" dad I think would find inspiration in these. So there are "creative" and age appropriate means for learning, including inspiring dad to create ideas of his own outside of just working "algorithms" while appealing to boy-fun.

I haven't reviewed the new MEP kinder-aged materials, but we got so much from the Year One, including many activities that were fun for father and son.

It couldn't hurt to look.

I agree on the activities book for Earlybird. My DD loved it, but I don't see it working well with my squirmy son next year.

Also...Bill I just received my Miquon books from paperbackswap. The First Grade and Notes to Teachers that you suggested for the Miquon books. I had bought the Miquon in a group set with the ann. book, and thought that was enough until I read your comments. You were right! I have already read through the Notes and 1/2 of the First Grade book. I really like the First Grade book, so thanks for the recommendation.

I'm so happy that's working for you! For me these books not only deepened what we did with Miquon, but infused the spirt of all our "Math Lab" work, Miquon, or not.

Thank you for letting me know!

Bill

You're *way* beyond me for elementary math, so I think you'd want to wait a few years (though I assume your focus will have shifted by then).

I think I'm rock-solid till maybe 2nd grade or so, then who knows? :D

At this point 5th grade scares me!

Math was always considered my worst subject in school. I guess that's what motivates me to make sure the methods used teaching my son make math more fun, more clear, and are more inspiring than the painfully dull math education I received.

Bill

what would you suggest as far as the miquon goes? just using the workbooks along side the SM? I'm sorry for all the questions I am just really new to all of this!

One could start with Miquon Orange (the first book of lab-sheets) the 3 teachers books, and a 155 set of Cuisenaire Rods.

Bill