Menu

Vitamin D question. Do you take it once a day or more often?

Yesterday I was reading how much vitamin D some of you take which got me to wondering do you take it once a day or spread out throughout the day?

I have just started taking it combined with magnesium and calcium. My primary purpose was to help with sleep so I've taken it at night. But yesterday I was reading how much vitamin D has improved other areas in people's lives so I was thinking of increasing the amount I take (which is very low dose).

We are heading into the dark, dreary winter months and last year was very difficult for me. I'm planning ahead and trying to be preventative in order to reduce the dreariness related to darkness.

Thanks for any comments.

I take it (as cod liver oil) once a day. But I've heard that since it's a fat-soluble, as opposed to water-soluble, vitamin, you can actually take a week's worth at a time. I just can't take that much CLO at once! (gag) But I definitely don't think you need to spread your dosage out over the course of the day. You might wish to do that with water-soluble vitamins like C, but shouldn't be necessary with D.

I take it (as cod liver oil) once a day. But I've heard that since it's a fat-soluble, as opposed to water-soluble, vitamin, you can actually take a week's worth at a time. I just can't take that much CLO at once! (gag) But I definitely don't think you need to spread your dosage out over the course of the day. You might wish to do that with water-soluble vitamins like C, but shouldn't be necessary with D.

Thanks for your response.

I take mine once a day but I do believe you can take it once a week as the previous poster said. I guess my point is that you probably need more. But it's ok to take it all at once before bed unless you find it keeps you awake or something like that. If it does either add in one large dose once a week or take it in the morning and at night. My kids take all theirs at night. Hubby and I take ours with breakfast.

I'm taking 2000 IU's once a day with dinner. Vitamins give me an upset stomach so I have to take them with a big meal.

Related question, How much do you give your kids? My son 55lbs, could give him the same dose I'm taking? or maybe just less often?

answering my own question:

However, as a general rule, breast fed infants need 1,000 IU per day, bottle fed infants an extra 600 IU per day. Children generally need about 1,000 IU for every 25 pounds of body weight. So a 75 pound 9-year-old needs about 3,000 IU per day. (this is just during the winter months when sun exposure is limited or if you use sunscreen during the summer)

Edited by Tam101
adding information