Menu

Anyone use A child's history of the world?

crunchycons

I picked up A Child's History of the World by V.M. Hillyer at our local hs used book sale, it was published by Sonlight so I figured it was decent and have wanted to start it with my kids. I found the first couple chapters disturbing with evolution and big bang so we obviously skipped that and used the bible. I was going to start with the 3400 BC Menes.

Does anyone have experience using this book? Any thoughts or advice?

Guest RecumbentHeart

Before purchasing I had read in reviews that it was wonderful from about the 5th chapter onwards. We haven't started using it yet but I'm reading it to organize our plan and I'm thinking I'll use the Bible up through the tower of Babel and carry over from there.

We worked through CHOW a few years ago and the kids really enjoyed it. In addition to the text, we used the workbook and cd that Calvert sells. The cd has interesting animations/games/quizzes to go along with each chapter and it is very well done.

thanks so much for the great replies. I was about to donate the book and now I look forward to using it.

So, do you read a few chapters, say on ancient Egypt, then study more indepth on that particular subject then move on to the next and so forth or do you sit and read it like a storybook? I was planning on doing the WTM history 4 year cycle.

thanks!

I picked up A Child's History of the World by V.M. Hillyer at our local hs used book sale, it was published by Sonlight so I figured it was decent and have wanted to start it with my kids. I found the first couple chapters disturbing with evolution and big bang so we obviously skipped that and used the bible. I was going to start with the 3400 BC Menes.

Does anyone have experience using this book? Any thoughts or advice?

Sonlight actually doesn't schedule those first few chapters to be read.

Merry :-)