Menu

questions about how you do literature with your hs..

I try to find literature studies for the books I have him read such as the ones at the glencoe site. This seems to make him more accountable for his reading and also offers a few extra writing assignments. I assign the reading and pages in the guide at the beginning of the week and on friday I check his work and we disscuss what he has read and written. Works well so far.

Two high school boys here, and we do it very similar to Nan -- we read aloud/discuss together, using TWEM questions and a variety of lit. guides and programs. I also assign them some solo reading, which we don't tend to discuss -- I just ask a few general questions when they are done. Warm regards, Lori D.

Advantages to "Together Lit."

- Get deeper, more meaningful discussion, since we are discussing "in the moment"

- Can see and comment on symbols, literary elements, examples, etc. immediately

- Because we discussed as we read and they've had time to process the work throughout the reading, literary analysis papers go more smoothly

- Learn vocabulary in context as we go

- Hear the richness of the language as it is read aloud

- Helps everyone "hang in there" -- and ultimately really enjoy -- with works that are slower, more complex, or are written with language we are not used to

- Practice of reading aloud (we take turns reading aloud)

- I can see instantly whether they are "getting it" or not (vocabulary, syntax, themes, etc)

- Get to enjoy great literature together!

Disadvantages to "Together Lit." (for us):

- Takes longer (reading aloud is slower than silent solo reading); we need to devote about 45-60 min. a day 4 days a week to get through the amount of lit. I want us to. When they were 8th/9th/10th grade we could do some reading or catch up reading 1-2 evenings in the week, but that's harder to do now with older high school students who often have evening commitments or social events.

We do an ongoing read aloud, or two, at once, and discuss as we go. Sometimes I use discussion questions (thanks for the reminder Nan and Lori, about the WEM).

The kids are also both using LLATL, and the Gold one that Dd15 is using is definitely expanding her understanding of literature...but I think its the years of reading together and discussing that will stick in the kids' minds long term.

Im sure some kids do well with independent work in this area, but my younger just doenst engage very well with it.

Thanks for the responses! I had hoped to get more responses but alas not the case. But I greatly appreciate those of you who took the time to answer. My oldest does better by reading the books on his own for the most part. My youngest however does fine either way so waht I do is have him read some of his books on his own and some we read aloud together. I have noticed that my youngest does retain and understand more when we do the reading together and discuss as we go, by the way thanks Nan and others for the talking points you have given over the years. I have those printed out and we refer to them often.

Thanks again ladies,

Gloria

I had hoped to get more responses but alas not the case.

Keep checking back on this thread every so often, Gloria. The high school board moves at a MUCH more leisurely pace than the K-8 board, as many people who participate on it only have time to pop in once or twice a week. So threads grow slowly here, over several weeks time. Cheers! Lori D.

PS -- and while you wait, you might enjoy perusing some past threads on literature. Here are some in which you get a feel for the way in which people approach literature -- either together aloud, or solo and check in from time to time. Enjoy!

What have you used for high school literature study

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113571&highlight=literature

High school literature approaches/alternatives

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104738&highlight=literature

For literature...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88870&highlight=literature

Just reading vs. literature guides

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87967&highlight=literature

Which literature study is better: more books or fewer/deper

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24963&highlight=literature

Literature study: desperate plea for pros and cons

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16825&highlight=literature

Every morning we start the day with our read-aloud. Right now we're finishing Little Women and before that we read Sophie's World. After Little Women, we're starting in on the works of Poe, Bradbury and Wells for some Halloween fun. I have a cup of coffee and the girls get hot chocolate. It has become a relaxing way to start our school day. We cover a certain amount every morning and discuss it.

Additionally, the girls are each also doing Lightning Lit and they have their own assigned reading and work for those books that they do later in the school day.

Yes things are slower here as Lori said, so don't give up.

We've finally found a rhythm that suits us - which is 4 days a week, half hour discussion time each morning. One day it will be about particularly important aspects, another about vocabulary, another about character development, etc.

They get a reading assignment for the weekend on Friday and are supposed to write a sentence about each chapter. (This is a WTM suggestion as well). Before reading the chapters, they should look at the vocabulary listed for those chapters so hopefully they can take note while reading. My daughter works at a lower level, eg not writing out vocab definitions and her character studies will be less developed.

I've tried using the WEM questions, but needed something more regular. They are excellent questions, but I never seemed to be asking them at the right time. Still, they can be incorporated into your studies.

So we're using study guides like Progeny Press and Total Language Plus and some others for more specific questions. The Cliff notes give overviews, but not enough thoughtful questions and don't have vocab lists.

Here is another place to get vocab lists for classics if you don't have a guide. The lists are quite variable as they are from individuals...

This has been our most successful formula ever.

I do both. Since my older ds has all the English he needs, its just the younger one and me. He always has 1 book (the short stories right now) that he is reading on his own and responding to via worksheets or comprehension questions, and another I am reading to him. I love reading to him and he enjoys it too, and we can get through books that would be too hard for him on his own. Currently we are reading David Copperfield. When we do Shakespeare (1 per year starting in 4th grade, 2 per year starting in 10th) we take parts. We also take every opportunity we get to see Shakespeare produced. Some years there's none. This year we hit the jackpot. There will be 3 shows produced in our city: 12th Night started yesterday (we'll read that as soon as we finish our short story unit); As You Like It in Feb. (we'll just be content with seeing that one because we want to do Hamlet as our 2nd this year); and The Tempest in May (we read that in 8th grade).

My high schoolers read the great books on their own, and we discuss twice a week. I try to read what they're reading, so I can discuss intelligently. We did read Othello aloud together, each taking parts, when all five of the older boys were home, before the twins went to college.

My older dc have told me they prefer to read great books on their own rather than reading aloud together. Among other things, it's faster, they say. In the wintertime after the little kids go to bed, we still usually have a fun read aloud going (other times of the year are harder because of farm stuff and company), so it's not that they don't enjoy read alouds. But they like to read the great books on their own. We discuss them together twice a week.

Edited by Luann in ID
clarity

What lit. is meant to be oral? I'm thinking of plays and maybe poems...anything else?

Plays were meant to be performed, and thus, viewed & listened to. Poetry is *definitely* meant to be HEARD -- so much of poetry is the rhythm, sound, alliteration, meter, etc.

In addition, speeches and epics (Illiad, Odyssey, Beowulf, et.al.) which are written down, but were always traditionally recited.

Also, many short stories (esp. those with lots of dialogue and/or humor) have a lot more impact when *heard* (read aloud).

Traditionally, people up through the 19th century (i.e., without radio/TV) read out loud to one another as evening entertainment -- so the whole body of literature -- as well as newspapers, biographies, etc. -- up through that time was part of an oral tradition, carried on from the ancient storytellers around the campfire.

And at our house, we find we just *get a lot more out of* many novels and classic literature when we do it aloud together, to appreciate the language, to stop and go over unknown vocabulary, expressions, literary elements, themes, etc. Enjoy sharing your literature as a family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Plays were meant to be performed, and thus, viewed & listened to. Poetry is *definitely* meant to be HEARD -- so much of poetry is the rhythm, sound, alliteration, meter, etc.

In addition, speeches and epics (Illiad, Odyssey, Beowulf, et.al.) which are written down, but were always traditionally recited.

Also, many short stories (esp. those with lots of dialogue and/or humor) have a lot more impact when *heard* (read aloud).

Thank you, this is very helpful! I learn new little tidbits here quite often!

We're doing this for reading. Last week we did "The Magician's Nephew" and this week we'll do "Mary Poppins."

The reason I put 'for reading' is because ds works a few books at a time. We started a family reading hour in the evening (I read, everyone - even dh - listens) and for that it's "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." Then there's the book on tape we listen to in the car, "The Theif Lord." The book we're "reading" for class, "Mary Poppins," and then the book ds is reading before bed, solo, "The Life of Leif Eriksson." So, when I say "for reading" I mean for a grade, for school work.