Menu

Considering a HUGE change in my homeschool...

and I'm looking for input/suggestions.

I made several other changes previous to the start of school in September. (went from textbooks/workbooks to more WTM-friendly methods)

For the most part, I'm happy and the kids seem to be happy and are doing well. But, we're REALLY struggling with History...I've been using Tapestry of Grace for about 4 years. We're currently trying to finish up Y1 U4 and then my plan was to move on to Y2. (The kids have never really liked TOG -- but have done it because I wanted them to.)

Now, I'm rethinking that and would like to make History more fun and something they look forward to. I really like Literature based programs and the "unit study" format.

I'm considering other programs but the thing "holding me back" is that I REALLY like the fact that all the kids are studying the same thing at the same time...it just makes my life easier and I *NEED* that right now. (I'm currently taking care of an elderly/failing mother-in-law.)

My two oldest kids are self-motivated and work well independently...my youngest requires more one-on-one.

Are there any programs that fit my needs but aren't so "intense" as TOG? (One I've considered is "Beautiful Feet"...but, if I understood correctly, the kids wouldn't necessarily be studying the same thing because of age differences.)

I'm looking forward to suggestions, feedback, etc.

Thanks!

We are using A New World of Adventure, which covers the beginning of American History, and we love it. It's the second book in the series. The first book is A World of Adventure, and it covers the Ancients through The Age of Exploration. You can get more information here:

http://www.learning-adventures.org/

The curriculum includes pretty much everything except for math. There is Bible, Spelling, Grammar, Writing, Science, Social Studies (History & Culture), and Fine Arts. There are books that you read aloud, a few chapters a day; and she gives you vocabulary words to go over before reading, and discussion questions to use after reading. She also gives you TONS of supplemental book suggestions. You can tailor it so meet your needs, doing as much or as little as you like.

We are supplementing with additional reading, worksheets and activities that I find to go along with whatever we are studying in science and history, plus I am using Easy Grammar. I don't need to use Daily Grams along with Easy Grammar, because the grammar that she includes in the curriculum is a great daily review in itself.

The author is super nice. She is happy to speak with you personally, on the phone or through email, if you have any questions. I highly recommend it. :D

I use Beautiful feet. I've used the jr high/sr. high level so I'm not sure how different the younger age materials are. There is a LOT of reading. If we did not do school year around we would not get it all done. And ds12 is an avid reader. There is a LOT of writing. Or I suppose you could do some of it orally, but I don't have the time to work with dd7 and also listen to ds12 do his history orally. He writes a lot of reports. So much that we do not do a separate writing program. I like their program (we are on our 3rd year of using Beautiful Feet). I like their underlying philosophy but you must be advised that it is "providential" - ie. God controls history.

We use Mystery of History. Although, I cannot speak to older kids (my oldest is almost 9) I can see us sticking with this through out their schooling. She has three different levels of follow up to do after the daily reading. (There are three days of reading a week plus a review). It would be very easy for you to read to your youngest and then the older ones read for themselves, then do an appropriate follow up, or read other books related to the main reading in the text. (We don't do any of the activities, I just have them narrate once a week...) The one thing that I find difficult sometimes is there is SO much included that I find it hard to go into depth with anything (which at my kids' ages isn't necessary). I think as they get older I would choose to highlight a few things, skimming over others.

I went from 3 years of TOG to SL. I went ahead and bought two cores, looking back(as we all do) it would have been really easy to fold in my younger dd. I was only using TOG as a book-list at the time I switched. I am really happy with SL, as far as the read-alouds( which could be seen as intensive), I alternate every other one with one on audio:)

I appreciate the replies and information received so far. I'm doing a LOT of research looking into the programs that have been mentioned.

I should add to my original post that I don't necessarily need an "integrated" program...I am comfortable with my language arts (vocab, spelling/phonics, and writing), math and science choices...so I really just need something for history that is literature/living books based.

FWIW, I have NEVER used the writing assignments for TOG, nor do I use the Philosophy or Church History -- I basically just use the history, literature and geography assignments. I purchased Pop Quiz and Evaluations and haven't even put the disks in the computer.

I use Beautiful feet. I've used the jr high/sr. high level so I'm not sure how different the younger age materials are. There is a LOT of reading. If we did not do school year around we would not get it all done. And ds12 is an avid reader. There is a LOT of writing. Or I suppose you could do some of it orally, but I don't have the time to work with dd7 and also listen to ds12 do his history orally. He writes a lot of reports. So much that we do not do a separate writing program. I like their program (we are on our 3rd year of using Beautiful Feet). I like their underlying philosophy but you must be advised that it is "providential" - ie. God controls history.

The kids are used to a LOT of reading -- TOG is VERY "reading-oriented". ie:

TOG y2 w1 assignments for Dialectic Level:

- 3 chapters in Story of Europe (history core)

- 13 chapters in Our Island Story (history in-depth)

- intro & 6 stories in "Famous Men of the Middle Ages" (read-aloud)

- Medieval Myths, Legends and Songs (lit)

**this doesn't include Arts/Activities, Church History, Government, Philosophy, etc.

** this is JUST the necessary reading to be able to answer the provided questions/worksheets and complete a map. (and sometimes we can't even do that -- we have to go looking elsewhere!!)

And, I prefer a "providential" view of history. ;)

Thanks!!

You might consider My Father's World. I haven't used it for high school, but the program is scheduled (daily), written to the student, and still includes reading "real" books. You can see their book list at the site -- it might include more textbooks than you are used to with TOG and maybe less reading overall.

So, after much prayer and consideration, we have decided upon Beautiful Feet.

I've been doing TONS of research -- so much that I think I might be "cross-eyed"... LOL

I'm curious about ONE thing: does anyone supplement the writing? (I was thinking about Writing Strands, but don't want to "swamp" them before they even get going...)

Thanks!

We are Sonlighters, through and through. No, your kids probably wouldn't be studying the same things in History, but if they have that independence then it won't matter. My girls ARE doing the same core this year, but it's the only year that will ever happen. But it doesn't matter because they do it all on their own. I don't have to teach anything! The only part of it that we do together is Bible and read-alouds. The girls love all of the books so much that they are weeks ahead in history and literature. They read the books "just for fun"!

I know there are many that don't care for SL, but I can honestly say that I don't think we will ever sway from it.

My son is a textbook kid, tried and true. He despises literature-based programs and just doesn't do well with them at all. Give him a textbook and some questions to answer and he will tell you detail for detail what it's all about! He just likes it and learns that way.

I don't think there is one right way to teach or learn - all kids are so different.

I will say that in the younger grades SL is more parent intensive, but that would be true with any program. By the time they are 8 or 9, though, they should be doing it all on their own, minus, of course, the read-alouds.

HTH!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RecumbentHeart

Hmm.. having learned this about Beautiful Feet my interest is piqued.

Amy, you wouldn't happen to be able to share your research, would you? Some recommended sources that helped you, maybe?

Hmm.. having learned this about Beautiful Feet my interest is piqued.

Amy, you wouldn't happen to be able to share your research, would you? Some recommended sources that helped you, maybe?

Sorry about being so long getting back to you...

Cathy Duffy gave BF an EXCELLENT review...

I used CBD to look at sample pages of the TM and then I used BF's website to research booklists, etc.

BF has THE BEST prices on total packages!!

If there is anything else you want to know, feel free to PM me...

Thanks!