Menu

What is your kitchen table made of?

We are in need of a new (bigger) kitchen table. However after shopping and having every salesperson basically telling us that whatever product they sold was exactly what we needed we are confused.

We don't know what we currently have but we like it and would love a bigger one. It has the look of wood (at least you can see the grain pattern but I'm not sure it's actually real wood) but I think it's got some kind of coating because you can cut directly on the table and still not scratch it. Water gets spilled, homework is done there, science experiments etc. It still looks like it did when we bought it 13 years ago.

We saw some beautiful tables at the Amish but will it stand up to the abuse of daily homeschooling life (plus a toddler and preschooler)?

What material is your table made of what would you recommend? I don't want something I have to use a mat/tablecloth on because I want to enjoy seeing my table (plus it's just easier without stuff on it)

Thanks for any advice

When we bought our first house we had a custom table built from a local carpenter-it cost no more than a furniture store. It's solid oak and made with 5 1.5" thick slabs glued together and seats 8 (9). We had a bench made for one side, too.

When it gets roughed up we can have it sanded and refinished a gazillion times, but frankly, I love the look of the child mauled wood. I want them to sit down to thanksgiving dinner in 20 years and see where they learned to spell their names and cut a little too hard with the playdough.

When we bought our first house we had a custom table built from a local carpenter-it cost no more than a furniture store. It's solid oak and made with 5 1.5" thick slabs glued together and seats 8 (9). We had a bench made for one side, too.

When it gets roughed up we can have it sanded and refinished a gazillion times, but frankly, I love the look of the child mauled wood. I want them to sit down to thanksgiving dinner in 20 years and see where they learned to spell their names and cut a little too hard with the playdough.

My grandparents had a well-loved table like you are describing. I wish I knew where it ended up......:sad:

My grandparents had a well-loved table like you are describing. I wish I knew where it ended up......:sad:

Aww, I hope you find it! My Aunt has my Nana's table and it's dear to us all. I know I won't get it, but when I got married I wanted my kids to love our table just as much. My Dh's mom's table is the same. They are Italian and everything in that house happens around the table.

When we bought our first house we had a custom table built from a local carpenter-it cost no more than a furniture store. It's solid oak and made with 5 1.5" thick slabs glued together

We had our table custom made a few years back. It is oak and the top is made the same as above. Ours has 12 chairs rather than any benches.

I prefer real solid wood, not just laminate. We have an antique table that I love. For school we use a rectangular table that is laminate wood top and it has seen abuse. It's an Ashley product, has held up well, and has lots of love marks on it.

However for all purpose my first choice would be solid wood. I'd look at unfinished furniture stores and for a more hearty wood look at oak or cherry. I'd buy a table separately from the chairs if necessary.

What material is your table made of what would you recommend? I don't want something I have to use a mat/tablecloth on because I want to enjoy seeing my table (plus it's just easier without stuff on it)

Ours is a 7ft 6in by 2ft 11in farm table. It has a distressed pine top and a black iron trellis base. On either side we have two distressed benches that are black with red undercoats peeking through. We also have a chair at the head of the table.

I love my table.:D

Mandy

Ours is solid oak. We bought it half off as a scratch n' dent. And it still looks scratched and dented. ;)

Sorry, it's not wood, it's Corian, and it has been a wonderful table for homeschooling, crafts, eating, whatever. Permanent marker? Wipe it off with nail polish. Glue? Use some SoftScrub. Daily cleaning? Use Windex. It looks as good today as it did the day we got it.

Where do you get a Corian table? Oooh, now I'm thinking I need one of those. I can't wait till I can get Corian countertops....