Menu

Religious song written by hubby. Not specifically CC.

He doesn't usually write this genre and I don't usually listen to it so any input would be helpful. Please let me know what you think.

HE SPEAKS THROUGH YOU

© Jeff Pedigo

The lord will provide you with the word

And lord only knows when it needs heard

So speak from your heart when you are stirred

In all you do HE SPEAKS THROUGH YOU

The gift you’ve been given is a trust

Be careful that it’s not consumed by lust

But if you feel like you must you must

You’ll become a beacon with your deeds

With every little gesture planting seeds

You’ll never know when what you do will teach

Good work and words are needed everywhere

From the alley to the thoroughfare

It will get rough at times so do not despair

The lord will provide you with the word

And lord only knows when it needs heard

I think it's lovely.

I'm a little confused by it. He refers to the Lord, but it's not supposed to be specifically a Christian song. I'm really not sure what it all means.

There are other religions that believe in God too, that also use the word Lord.

I see as it is written in the song, it is lowercase. This could be meaning not any one specific lord/god/higher power.

My interpretation was the same as sleepymom's. As I said this is a new genre for us so all comments are helpful. Thanks.

Ok. I was just looking at it though my own interpretation of Lord, so it baffled me a bit.

I don't particularly care for it, but if this is a new genre, it's probably one I wouldn't listen to, anyway, so my views probably don't help! :)

I like some of it, but I'm mostly confused by

"The gift you’ve been given is a trust

Be careful that it’s not consumed by lust

But if you feel like you must you must

In all you do HE SPEAKS THROUGH YOU"

So, it's okay to consume it by lust if you feel like it, and that's tied to God (or a god, I suppose, but it sounds Christian to me) somehow? I can't imagine "the lord" giving the go-ahead to selfish lust. That's how this verse came across. I liked the next verse though.

I'm a little confused by it. He refers to the Lord, but it's not supposed to be specifically a Christian song. I'm really not sure what it all means.

Yeah, if you are not speaking about the Christian Christ (Lord) then I think he shouldn't use the term. It comes off as a Christian song with me-focused lyrics and frankly, bad theology. God doesn't speak through me - He speaks through His Word. God also doesn't ever sanction immorality. One of the verses makes it sound like He does. Sorry, no vote from me.

Yeah, if you are not speaking about the Christian Christ (Lord) then I think he shouldn't use the term. It comes off as a Christian song with me-focused lyrics and frankly, bad theology. God doesn't speak through me - He speaks through His Word. God also doesn't ever sanction immorality. One of the verses makes it sound like He does. Sorry, no vote from me.

Why?

Christianity doesn't have a trademark on the word "lord".

a

I think that maybe religious/Christian music is just not the right genre. Using the word Lord makes it come across that it is speaking of God. As someone said He does not speak through us, He speaks through His word. Our words/actions can either bring people to Him or push them away from Him, but He does not need US to speak for Him.

really against what the Bible teaches: Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things,

and desperately sick;

who can understand it?

Your hubby might have a great talent with putting words together, but secular genres just might be where he really shines.

Edited by mrsrevmeg

Ok, I told my hubby the general concensus on the song is NO! The people who would listen to it don't like it and the people would like it probably won't listen to it. There is no way that you are going to make this one work commercially. He tries to work on a song a day so obviously not all of them are going to work. I think that he needs to file this one and move on especially since he has much more promising projects in the works.

Ok, I told my hubby the general concensus on the song is NO! The people who would listen to it don't like it and the people would like it probably won't listen to it. There is no way that you are going to make this one work commercially. He tries to work on a song a day so obviously not all of them are going to work. I think that he needs to file this one and move on especially since he has much more promising projects in the works.

That's too bad; I thought it was a pretty good first run in the genre.

George Harrison's song is listed as #454 on Rolling Stone's top 500 of the greatest songs of all time.

a

Why?

a

Nope, it sure doesn't. However, if she is saying it isn't a Christian song then in my opinion (which is all I offered by the way) then I don't think he should use it. It has Christian-like wording, but isn't really about the Lord. I think that is a bad idea. YMMV.

Ok, now I'm really confused. If it's not meant to be a Christian song, then why would it matter if Christians don't like it? I'm not trying to be difficult; I guess I'm just not getting which demographic this song is aimed toward.

But, I've had a long, busy day and am tired. Maybe that's part of it.

Why?

not a trademark, but Christianity certainly recognizes only One worthy of the title in a religious sense.

What is it with everyone assuming Christianity?

well, uh, cuz there are a lot of Christians out there? :D

Have none of you ever heard George Harrison's My Sweet Lord?

It's about the Hindu God Krishna.

some people have similar issues with that song too. ;)

Ok, now I'm really confused. If it's not meant to be a Christian song, then why would it matter if Christians don't like it? I'm not trying to be difficult; I guess I'm just not getting which demographic this song is aimed toward.

But, I've had a long, busy day and am tired. Maybe that's part of it.

I don't think it was aimed at anyone. He wasn't really trying to write this song. It was just one that he felt was in him and he needed to get it out on paper. He asked my opinion and I told him I liked it but didn't think it was marketable specifically because the kind of people in the general population that tend to listen to religious songs are generally Christians and this is not a Christian song. People like me, who would like the song and be able to relate to it in some way, don't traditionally listen to religious music. This thread pretty much bares me out. Who will or will not like a song matters not in the writing of the song but matters hugely in what you do with it once it is written. My suggestion was to file it.

As an interesting aside - just last night he took a song to an NSAI workshop that was somewhat like this song. He didn't write it as a specifically Christian song but he cowriter changed the title to one that suggested it was and he got publically reamed for the song. He also got a note from someone higher in the org that said "Call me, I think you have a lot of talent and are probably ready to start working with a mentor in the business."

He has been working this business a long time now. If you are no good at all, you pretty much get ignored. When you get a little better you get rejection letters. If you keep improving you eventually start getting personal notes and calls. No matter what you do, you can't please all the people all the time but sometimes all you have to do is get your work in front of the right people at the right time. :001_smile:

Ok. I was just looking at it though my own interpretation of Lord, so it baffled me a bit.

I don't particularly care for it, but if this is a new genre, it's probably one I wouldn't listen to, anyway, so my views probably don't help! :)

:confused1: What does this mean?

I took the OPer's comment to mean he usually worked in the genre of non-religious music but was trying out religious music, not that they were inventing a new genre of music.

I don't think it was aimed at anyone. He wasn't really trying to write this song. It was just one that he felt was in him and he needed to get it out on paper. He asked my opinion and I told him I liked it but didn't think it was marketable specifically because the kind of people in the general population that tend to listen to religious songs are generally Christians and this is not a Christian song. People like me, who would like the song and be able to relate to it in some way, don't traditionally listen to religious music. This thread pretty much bares me out. Who will or will not like a song matters not in the writing of the song but matters hugely in what you do with it once it is written. My suggestion was to file it.

As an interesting aside - just last night he took a song to an NSAI workshop that was somewhat like this song. He didn't write it as a specifically Christian song but he cowriter changed the title to one that suggested it was and he got publically reamed for the song. He also got a note from someone higher in the org that said "Call me, I think you have a lot of talent and are probably ready to start working with a mentor in the business."

He has been working this business a long time now. If you are no good at all, you pretty much get ignored. When you get a little better you get rejection letters. If you keep improving you eventually start getting personal notes and calls. No matter what you do, you can't please all the people all the time but sometimes all you have to do is get your work in front of the right people at the right time. :001_smile:

I wish him all the best in his endeavors to write music. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to be in that industry. :001_smile:

I wish him all the best in his endeavors to write music. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to be in that industry. :001_smile:

Thanks, hon. He is published and he has made a very small amount of money but it will still be awhile before he can quit his day job yet. :tongue_smilie:

:confused1: What does this mean?

I took the OPer's comment to mean he usually worked in the genre of non-religious music but was trying out religious music, not that they were inventing a new genre of music.

Yes, he usually writes country, folk, and some interesting country/alternative fushion. There are some religious references in some of these songs but they are not religious songs. And no, he is not trying to invent a new genre. It is hard enough to sell traditional in this town. I imagine it would be darn near impossible to sell an entirely new genre here. :001_huh:

Very strange that the song says Hallelujah (Praise Jah, or Praise Yahweh). I have always thought so. It is a beautiful song though.

Yeah, I think George had a bad translator on that one - I think he was given one of the mis-translations (of which there are many) that it was "praise the lord" rather than "praise Yahweh".

a