Menu

How do I conquer my math anxiety?

SquirrellyMama

Math has never been my subject. I have kids who are reasonably good at it but could be better if I weren't so anxious. I really want something that I don't have to teach. I would love to be hands off for math. I have both my kids in Rod & Staff 3rd grade math (8 year old and 6 year old). The 6 year old just started it and is only on lesson 6. My 8 year old is half way through it.

I was thinking about Teaching Textbooks or SoS.

How important is it for me to actually do the teaching? Or can I let the computer do it?

Kelly

:lurk5:

I feel your pain. I am extremely math phobic, and when we decided to send DS6 to public school this year, one of the things I kept telling myself (to make myself feel better about sending him) was "at least someone else will be able to teach him math". Unfortunately, his school uses Everyday Math.... so now not only will I be helping him with his homework using a program I don't like, but I've also taken on supplementing his math using Singapore. It's easy enough for now, but I already have a hard time answering some of his questions!

I am not being ANY help to you, sorry. What I wanted to say is that I have been wondering the same thing about TT or even Math-U-See. My DS is a very visual learner and I think he'd do well with one of these programs, but I'd love to hear others' experiences. Thanks!! :bigear:

I was math phobic. I decided to take the approach of diving right in and learning it along with my kids. We spend quite bit of time on math and I have started really enjoying it.

I think if you don't do that, you will get to a point where you will have to hire a tutor.

I can do the math but teaching it reminds me too much of my time in math class. I think that is what is causing my anxiety. There will come a point where I will be learning it again with the kids. I never, ever got Geometry. I always had trouble no matter what help I got. Actually, I never understood anything from geometry on (algebra, calculus). I'm not sure I ever took Trig. I would do it in class but never did know how to apply it anywhere else in my life.

I was wondering if a hands-off approach would help them so they wouldn't have to deal with their math phobic mother.

If hands on teaching is going to produce better results then I will do what is best. I just didn't know if TT would work since I think I'm causing more problems than solving.

I am SO math phobic, and this was SUCH a concern of mine!

Finally my DH said to me, "Why not learn right along with DD?" And he's right. We're only in 1st grade, but I feel like I am already learning along with her! I'm getting confidence from a first grade program :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

I suggest you find a program you really like, with a TM that really works for you. We're using Singapore, and I really like it for us, but it's obviously not for everyone. It just seems like you should have some idea of what you are doing, in case your kids have questions.

Those are my thoughts, for what it's worth!

Your hubby is an engineer your siggy says. Maybe he can take over a portion of the math instruction?

I've planned on having him do that but today we were talking about math and he said it should be dry and drill oriented :001_huh: That comment scared me. I'm not a fan of math but I do try to take some of the dry out of it. We are doing RightStart games this year. The kids love it.

Maybe by the time they get to a level I cannot teach they will be ready for dry.

I am SO math phobic, and this was SUCH a concern of mine!

Finally my DH said to me, "Why not learn right along with DD?" And he's right. We're only in 1st grade, but I feel like I am already learning along with her! I'm getting confidence from a first grade program :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

I suggest you find a program you really like, with a TM that really works for you. We're using Singapore, and I really like it for us, but it's obviously not for everyone. It just seems like you should have some idea of what you are doing, in case your kids have questions.

Those are my thoughts, for what it's worth!

I wondered if part of my problem was that I was trying to find a math program I liked instead of what my kids liked. I hate to switch again. How do people find the right curriculum that they like and their kids like. I've been doing trial and error which doesn't seem like a good option.

Edited by kwiech

Let me start by saying I'm a formal math teacher (grades 6-12). Then let me say that many, many children struggle with geometry. I've always loved math and done extremely well, but high school geometry was not my cup of tea. It wasn't until years later, when I had to teach it, that it finally made sense. So, don't let your bad experience with geometry lead you to believe you are math phobic. :001_smile:

Now, this is just my opinion, but I've found in my life, when there are things that cause me anxiety, if I try to avoid them, I end up more anxious. I wonder if you do a "hands off" approach, if you wouldn't just end up increasing your anxiety. Rod and Staff is a very gentle approach with excellent TM's. If I were you, I would learn right along with the children, doing all the activities in the TM with them, 1:1. I have a feeling you'll start feeling much better about math and pleased with yourself that you are able to understand and then help your children. You also would be teaching your children a very valuable lesson, in that when things are difficult, we don't give up, but instead do whatever is necessary to learn and succeed. Down the road, such as in high school, you might find it necessary to higher a tutor and that's fine; however, for grades 1-8 I would really recommend taking advantage of the outstanding TM's and textbooks for R&S 1-8, and utilize a hands on approach.

Hi!

I am new to homeschooling and teaching math was my main concern too, since it was never my best subject either :confused:. My dh is excellent at it and can do most of it off the top off his head, so he is helping in that area. I too am learning by having to help teach it and it is actually getting fun. My dh 12 and ds 10 are both using Saxon, but I purchased Math U See for my ds who is 9, because his attention span is a bit short and he needed a curriculum that was more visual. Maybe you can look into Math U See or Teaching Textbooks since they both seem to require less instruction by the parent than some of the other curriculums.

Ruqiyyah

I've planned on having him do that but today we were talking about math and he said it should be dry and drill oriented :001_huh: .

I laughed when I read this, as I often hear R&S referred to as "dry and drill oriented," but you know what? It works! Interestingly enough, my son absolutely loves it!

One caution I will give is with switching math programs. In my experience, children tend to struggle quite a bit when parents jump from one program to another. It actually would be better to stay consistent with a "less than perfect" program, than to keep switching, trying to find the perfect match. Just my opinion ... take it for what its worth! :001_smile:

I was math-aviodent rather than full blown phobic and as a result I never learned a lot of it. But learning along with my son has been a wonderful experience. It makes so much more sense now!

Just a warning--no matter how much you want to be hands off in the math department, even if you use TT or another program like it, your children will still have questions and you will not be serving them well if you can't answer them. I find it far easier to learn along with my son (and we are using TT for geometry this year) and have some clue, and be able to help him, than to just leave it to him to solve with the DVDs.

Now, this is just my opinion, but I've found in my life, when there are things that cause me anxiety, if I try to avoid them, I end up more anxious. I wonder if you do a "hands off" approach, if you wouldn't just end up increasing your anxiety.

This is such a good thought. I never considered that before but I can see how this could be an even bigger problem. I'm the type to stew more over problems that I cannot do anything about.

Ok, you have convinced me to stick with R&S. Math is going fine as far as me knowing what is happening but we are only on 3rd grade. Maybe I will finally get geometry once and for all :001_smile:

Rod and Staff does fit the dry category that my dh likes and they drill a lot so if he has to take over he should like it. I'll just keep adding in games for now.

I was math-aviodent rather than full blown phobic and as a result I never learned a lot of it. But learning along with my son has been a wonderful experience. It makes so much more sense now!

Just a warning--no matter how much you want to be hands off in the math department, even if you use TT or another program like it, your children will still have questions and you will not be serving them well if you can't answer them. I find it far easier to learn along with my son (and we are using TT for geometry this year) and have some clue, and be able to help him, than to just leave it to him to solve with the DVDs.

Maybe I should get TT geometry for me :001_smile:

I laughed when I read this, as I often hear R&S referred to as "dry and drill oriented," but you know what? It works! Interestingly enough, my son absolutely loves it!

One caution I will give is with switching math programs. In my experience, children tend to struggle quite a bit when parents jump from one program to another. It actually would be better to stay consistent with a "less than perfect" program, than to keep switching, trying to find the perfect match. Just my opinion ... take it for what its worth! :001_smile:

Oh, I agree. R&S is very dry that is one reason why I wanted to switch. I think I'm wanting to switch more for me than my kids. I agree with your second comment too about too much switching. That is why I purposely bought more than one year of R&S. It was supposed to discourage me from wanting to switch.

I come here to get people to convince me to stay where I am. Talk me off the ledge.

I'm not dead against hands off or child led or self education, but my concern would be the kids discovering you hate math. I don't love all subjects. I don't tell my kids though because I don't want them to get it in their minds early on that a certain subject is scary and awful.

I'm convinced that my fear and loathing of math stems from lousy teaching (or no teaching). Seriously, I don't feel like I was taught any math in school. I had one teacher I can remember who was amazing. Besides that, I don't have anything positive to say about any of my math instruction.

I enjoy the math program we are using. There is some drilling/practice aspect to math, but it doesn't have to be boring and awful.

My oldest already knows I don't like math. I keep telling her it was from the teaching I received and that she is doing so much better than I did at her age. My 6 yr old hasn't caught on yet.

Kelly

I come here to get people to convince me to stay where I am. Talk me off the ledge.

I hear you! Unfortunately, sometimes the opposite happens for me when I come to these boards and I start to get the "grass is greener over there" syndrome. Thankfully, we've settled into curriculum that is working well for us, so I'm doing less contemplating of other programs these days. Isn't it so tempting, though, to keep researching and looking for the "perfect" curriculum?:tongue_smilie:

And I agree, it's SO HARD to not fall victim to the grass is greener syndrome!!!

Do you think maybe you just need a pat on the back or a little confidence? I find myself needing that sometimes. :tongue_smilie: I will literally say to DH, "Talk me off the ledge!!!!!!" :lol:

This thread is so full of wisdom, thanks everyone!