Menu

Mole removal - what was your experience?

I had a couple of moles removed before, but I was under for something else at the time, so I didn't have any pain/weird experience.

My dh has a mole on the back of his neck that he wants removed. The doc doesn't believe it is suspicious, but dh would like it taken off anyway. However, he is a big 'ol weiner about pain.

If I could collect a few experiences, that would help him approach this in a better informed manner. FYI, the mole is about 5mm x 5mm and would have to be cut and probably a couple of stitches.

TIA for helping! :001_smile:

I had three removed a few months ago- two on my neck and one under my arm. My Dr. used an anesthetic (with a needle) before he removed them. The needle wasn't comfortable, but the discomfort didn't last long. He had me wait a few minutes to let the anesthetic work before he cut them. The one on the back of my neck bothered me longer, because of my shirt rubbing against it (one of the reasons I wanted it removed- it always bothered me anyway especially when I wear necklaces). I just kept neosporin on it and kept it covered with a band-aid. Do NOT use those stupid little circular band-aids, they don't stay on. It was pretty much fine as long as there was a band aid on it, to protect it from irritation.

I'm so glad you asked this! I have some stuff I'd like removed, but I'm a BIG chicken. I wont even repeat the stories that my husband has on mole removals. He's had the same Dr. for ever, and has always joked that he's secretly an escaped convict posing as a Dr. (but he loves him:))

Maybe this thread will be the reassurance I've been needing.

I had one removed from my back about a month ago. The needle for the local anesthetic was the worst part. The whole procedure took maybe 10 minutes.

:iagree: The shot to numb the area is the worst part. A few seconds into the shot you will feel coolness and relief. After that, it is no pain. Just had one removed last week.

I had a couple of moles removed before, but I was under for something else at the time, so I didn't have any pain/weird experience.

My dh has a mole on the back of his neck that he wants removed. The doc doesn't believe it is suspicious, but dh would like it taken off anyway. However, he is a big 'ol weiner about pain.

If I could collect a few experiences, that would help him approach this in a better informed manner. FYI, the mole is about 5mm x 5mm and would have to be cut and probably a couple of stitches.

TIA for helping! :001_smile:

I had one removed some years ago that required several stitches and I remember nothing about it. I was awake with local anesthesia, so it couldn't have been bad if I don't remember it, but then again, I tend to compare pain to transition in labor and if it's not close, I don't think much of it. Guess your dh can't really do that! But you could get him a focal point and coach him on his breathing! :tongue_smilie:

Want a funny story?

When I had dd #3, she was literally born 3 minutes after we pulled into the hospital parking lot.

By some miracle, I had actually made it to the maternity floor, pulled into the room, and ta dah! Baby time!

What does this have to do with mole removal?

Wait for it. . . . . . . . .

The doctor said, "Gee, since we really didn't do anything for you - do you want me to remove that mole on your inner thigh? No charge!" (It was really pretty huge - a little bigger in diameter than a nickel)

In my post-baby happy delirium, I agreed.

Durned thing hurt more than my delivery. (ok, maybe a little hyperbole there) The injection wasn't so bad, but it was really annoying as it healed.

But I'm glad I had it done. ;)

I had a beauty mark on my face that turned into a giant witch mole in my thirties. There was A LOT of tugging and pulling as they stitched up the gap, but nothing too terrible.

Changing the topic a bit... I have a mole right by my eye that my mom thinks I should have removed because she had a beauty mark turn giant in her fifties. If that happened, this thing could interfere with my vision, etc. (besides looking really ugly.)

For something so near the eye, should I find a plastic surgeon or would a dermatologist do a good job?

I hate thinking about having it removed. And I've had other moles removed from my face with no stress. This is just so near my eye, ya know?

I just had this done today. And two others taken off two weeks ago. I had two on my tummy and two on my lower back.

ITA with this:

The doc numbed the area around mine and the area of the mole before he started cutting on it. It was not painful, but there was alot of tugging. The pain came after the local anesthetic wore off. I lived on motrin for days

And the stitches are a PITA. One of mine he biopsied so he had to cut more than usual to send in. The other two today ended up needing stitches b/c the base was thick. I wasn't expecting stitches today (and I'm not happy about having them on my tummy...it HURTS) but whatever...the moles are finally gone.

Changing the topic a bit... I have a mole right by my eye that my mom thinks I should have removed because she had a beauty mark turn giant in her fifties. If that happened, this thing could interfere with my vision, etc. (besides looking really ugly.)

For something so near the eye, should I find a plastic surgeon or would a dermatologist do a good job?

I hate thinking about having it removed. And I've had other moles removed from my face with no stress. This is just so near my eye, ya know?

Yes, use a plastic surgeon. I did.

I am the queen of mole removal. I have had 24 moles removed in total. I had three removed when I was 16. Back in April I had 12 done at once(and all with stitches) and then the remaining 9 done in June. 4 were punched out and the remaining was stitches.

Piece of cake. Even the stitches weren't bad.

In case you are wondering, I had several atypical moles, and I had a plastic surgeon take them off.

Tell hubby nothing to worry about. Chances are good if it is not suspicious they may even freeze it off.

:)

I just had two removed last week. I went to a dermatologist, and I agree that the local anesthetic was the worst part. It is a sting, then a burning feel for just a few seconds. The derm. then scrapes off the mole with a little scalpel, but it does not hurt a bit. He didn't remove a lot, so I did not have to have stitches.

I also agree that as long as you keep a bandaid on them, they won't bother. I tried half a day with just antibiotic cream and no bandaid and the irritation of my clothes and such was bothersome! They look funny, little holes on your body as they are healing up, but if you keep bandaids on them, who will notice?

It is more important to get them removed than to worry about the tiny bit of pain it might cause.

As one woman said, it is nothing compared to childbirth! LOL :)