Menu

Earth Science--Hands-On

missmoe

I am right now trying to use ScienceWorks Planet Earth, and it is not working for us. It assumes that as the teacher I have a lot more background than I do. I have an awesome rock and mineral kit, but do not have any good instructions to use it. :001_huh: ScienceWorks tells us to observe the rocks and minerals and gives us charts to do so, but I don't know what we are suppose to be observing. How do I test for density, texture, orgin? This problem repeats itself throughout the book.

So, you see, I need something that provides more help!

My dds who would be using this are visual and hands-on learners. Their reading level is about 4th-grade. I am looking for something that we could spend about 8 to 12 weeks completing. We will be studying the solar system the last half of the year, and I have that covered.

What have you used and enjoyed for earth science?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I've been very pleased with REAL science so far, and I think you could make it take as long as you desire. There are tons of great labs (explained in great detail!) but you would definately not have to do them all.

Hth!

:iagree::iagree: You can easily do all of them in a year. I'll be done in half a year. Kiddo likes this very much.

I've been very pleased with REAL science so far, and I think you could make it take as long as you desire. There are tons of great labs (explained in great detail!) but you would definately not have to do them all.

Hth!

:iagree:

We are using it a full year program but are supplementing with LOTS of books and other materials, and only doing 1 unit a week. (We could easily do 2, maybe 3.)

I'm planning to cover some earth science next year, and these are the two programs that I'm considering. Either one would fit with the time frame you want.

Ring of Fire (someone else already recommended it, but I agree with them)

http://www.sciencekitsforkids.com/

Earth Logic: Our Dynamic Earth

http://science-logic.blogspot.com/

Blessings,

Laura

I am intrigued by Ring of Fire--am going to spend more time today looking at the website and investigating this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Earth Logic looks interesting also. It seems like a fairly new company. Do you know of anyone who has had personal experience ordering from them? The price and timeline of this program is perfect for what I have in mind!

Real Science seems to be very popular here!:001_smile: I am using history odyssey and like that program. I assume the science would be just as wonderful. It seems though that the program is more then I want--in scope and price. Wonderful endorsments. Next year when planning I will think about one of the real science programs.