Menu

What are your favorite WWII movies for highschooler...NT

Comment on Swing Kids--loved it. It would have (IMO) helped if they'd had the kids speak w/a German accent (or something) so that you "got" how outrageous the Am. jazz slang would have been.

Another Holocaust film: The Devil's Arithmetic has a time-travel element (modern Jewish American Princess is transported back to her family's history--1941 Poland (I think)

I haven't seen this one yet--it's on instant play @ Netflix, but here's the plot summary:

The Conscientious Objector (2004)

It's 1945, World War II. The Place, Okinawa. The Scene, an impregnable 400-foot high cliff-AKA Hacksaw Ridge. The Engagement, a battle so fierce the odds of survival were 1 in 10. The Act, Medic Pfc. Desmond T. Doss braved intense enemy fire to rescue 75 wounded GI's over the precipice. The Story, Infantrymen who once ridiculed and scoffed at Desmond's simple faith and refusal to carry a weapon-now owed their lives to him. Director Terry Benedict tells Desmond's incredible story through the eyes of the men who witnessed this humble man's heroic acts. Winning the respect of his fellow soldiers, they recommended him for the highest honor America can bestow on one of her sons-The Medal of Honor.

Edited by K-FL

• 2 weeks later...
:)

Conspiracy (about the Wannsee Conference)

A Bridge Too Far

The Longest Day (this is especially good after you've studied DDay because you will spot so many historic people who aren't always clearly identified)

Bridge at Remagen

The Great Raid (based on Ghost Soldiers. I haven't watched it yet but dh said it was well done)

Band of Brothers

Victory at Sea

Tora! Tora! Tora! (far better than Pearl Harbor, which is a waste of time IMO)

Shining Through

Charlotte Gray

Foyle's War (exceptional series about homefront in Britain. Not specifically war drama, but highly entertaining and discusses a lot of homefront thems.)

There have also been some good movies produced in Germany in the last five years or so. These were well reviewed in Germany, but I haven't gotten around to watching all of them, so viewer beware. I'm pretty sure they are all available from Netflix.

Der Untergang (The Bunker)

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

The Counterfeiters

Rosenstrasse

Dresden