Menu

Fans of British navy historical novels

can I get a bit of input?

Some years ago, we watched (and loved) the Horatio Hornblower DVDs and enjoyed the Master and Commander movie. I just pre-read M & C for my 14yos, and won't be recommending it to him, due to the recurring themes/undercurrents of inappropriate s**uality and morbid introspection that runs throughout the book.

Are the HH books wholesome, or were they "cleaned up" for film?

If the HH books are not wholesome (yes, I know real life wasn't always that way), do you have another rec?

Thanks, and please don't throw any tomatoes...

Thanks!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Dd and I read Carry On Mr. Bowditch last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it's not British, it does take place during the Revolutionary War in Massachusetts. Bowditch's life is fascinating and tragic but inspiring as well as he overcomes all odds and obstacles to become one of the greatest figures in maritime history. I highly recommend it. :) You can see it here. http://www.amazon.com/Carry-Mr-Bowditch-Jean-Latham/dp/0618250743/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253795109&sr=8-1

Patrick O'Brian wrote a few novels aimed at teenagers that are much cleaner than the M&C series. There is some occasional salty language but but nothing like M&C, etc. The Golden Ocean and The Unknown Shore are pre-Napoleonic, based on a true story. One of the characters is very similar to a young Jack Aubrey (a prototype, maybe?). My 15 yr old daughter loves these - especially the first. I won't let her read M&C unti she's married, lol. he also wrote another semi-naval novel called The Road to Samarcand - it is based in the 1930s and Asia. It is also very clean, and hilarious!

Edited by Jugglin'5

I think that the Hornblower series is a good deal less bawdy than the Master and Commander series (said, having enjoyed both a great deal). In particular, there is a recurring passion by Dr Maturin for a married woman.

You might try the books by Frederick Marryat. Mr. Midshipman Easy is commonly available. The other books by Marryat are a little harder to find, but have been reprinted in the last decade in nice trade paperback editions. Actually, given the age of Marryat's writing, you can possibly find free ebook versions at the Gutenburg Project or the Baldwin Project.

At least some of Marryat's books were reprinted in the Classics of Naval Fiction line. You might want to search on that for other older authors of interest.