Menu

What's the phonics equivalent of RightStart?

FairProspects

Teaching reading is the bane of my existence! Yes, our program is working. Its also lots of "drill and kill" which is making my ds hate it, even though he enjoys the challenge of decoding. Part of me wonders how fun learning letter sounds really can be, and maybe we should just grin and memorize them, but a big part of me wants ds to love reading, which I am worried he never will if we stick with this program!

So, is there a phonics equivalent to RightStart math? Short lessons (15-20 mins), hands-on manipulatives, games instead of worksheets to test knowledge & retention? We've also tried PP, which I like and may continue in some form, but it is not multi-sensory enough to teach ds letter-sound connection. He has to move or do an activity (ie, gluing raisins on an "r") to cement that connection. I've thought about SSRW and am wondering if I should just suck it up and purchase it, but it is so hard to outlay that kind of money without being able to preview it first. I can't be the first one to need this kind of program! Hive suggestions?

Perhaps you are looking for Spell to Write and Read! :001_smile:

I have several links on our homeschool blog if you're interested (located under HS Curriculum/Supplies, Language Arts). No, I'm not a salesperson... just highly recommend SWR from our experience with it already! You could use it as the complete language arts program that it is... or just use the 70 Basic Phonograms portion of the program. HTH!

I'm using Phonics Pathways and AAS together. Whatever we are learning in AAS, I'll find pages in PP that go along with that lesson. I don't have my kid's do any worksheets at all. I am teaching 3 at once so they each have their own whiteboard and letter tiles.

My ds6 can spend a half hour at the whiteboard spelling words with AAS tiles. For fun! ;)

Not a program, but good fun supplements:

Talking Letter Factory DVD for letter sounds

abc pocket phonics for iPhone/iTouch

Starfall.com (1st 2 parts only, last 2 will teach words as sight words until all phonics has been taught)

Read, Write, Type: A bit expensive, but a lot of fun, it took my daughter 8 months to figure out that it was educational:

http://www.talkingfingers.com/

My phonics concentration game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

The Pollard series looks like a lot of fun, but a lot of work to implement, it's free on Google books and is a complete program, linked from the middle of my page of phonics and spelling books:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/phonicsandspelli.html

I also find that my elementary age students have a lot more fun when we work from the white board and/or with magnetic letters than working from a book.

I use All About Spelling, which has the tiles and a couple phonics games you can buy. I also have a SWR game pack (bingo and other games) that works fairly well with AAS (AAS uses a few sounds SWR doesn't). I also made up a game card set of my own to play phonics go fish with by cutting 3x5 cards in half, made sand letter cards for practicing letter formation while saying the phonics sounds and have my ds make the letters out of playdoh. :D

Heather

We start out with activities from Montessori Read and Write, then add All About Spelling when they are spelling simple words easily with a movable alphabet. I plan to add activities with the Pink, Blue, and Green series (used in Montessori education but not in the previously mentioned book) with my next child. It's all lots of fun and very hands-on.

Winterpromise has a lot of variety and activities. Quote:

We love the K Basic, and will be using it again this coming year with our second K DD. I like it because it has a nice mix of workbook (easy to implement) and fun games that the kids really enjoy. Not only do games come from the phonics activity pack, but there are suggestions on many different ways on how to use the phonics cards instead of just flash the card-type of things.

Also, it has many hands-on opportunities for children to "feel" letters. Whether your drawing letters while saying their sounds in sand to forming the letters with clay, and many other less-known activities that I didn't even think of. It even has handwriting practice. And it's all scheduled out for me. If the activities were not scheduled, I would not do them.

It definitely gives many helps on how to teach the sounds. My eldest DD is in AdvK, and she is actually moving into fluency, not sounding-out-every-single-word. We are very pleased with it, and will continue to use it with all of our children.

The guide also stresses to not do all the things listed, and your child doesn't need to do all the things listed to learn to read. :cool:

More threads that you might want to look at:

McRuffy's Phonics: Experiences?

McRuffy,SSRW,Abeka..help me decide