Menu

Choose my next Readaloud...

mlgbug

My girls enjoyed No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. The little girl in the story has a talking dog and doesn't realize she's 1/2 fairy- until she starts to fly. Also, she finds out that only fairies can kiss their elbows -too cute to see my 4 year old trying so hard to kiss hers!! :001_smile: It's a good story - even my boys were entertained by it.

I would not read Harry Potter to a 4 yo. Let her read it herself when she is able.

:iagree:

It will turn her off to the series forever! We listened on audiobook when my youngest was 7, and that was a much better age. She's about to turn 8 and we've listened to the first 3 books.

Narnia is definitely better, but still a little intense. Not fairy/magical, but mine liked Anne of Green Gables very much at this age.

The Magician's Elephant by Kate Dicamillo is WONDERFUL. I blogged about it here.

I don't think a 4yo, generally speaking, has the life experience to understand the situations presented in Harry Potter. I think there are many books out there that are far more appropriate for a child just beginning to enjoy chapter books. I would save it for her to read on her own because kids *love* Harry Potter. They *love* reading it. For many, it is the first "long" or "real" chapter book they read and once they're hooked they read all of them (and they get longer and longer). Once my kids are reading, I try to select books for read alouds that I don't think they are likely to read on their own. Harry Potter isn't one of these.

What about actual fairy tales? Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges and Trina Hyman has lush illustrations. Hodges and Hyman have each done several other fairy tales.

There are some stories in popular fairy tales where the girl passively waits for saving. But IMO, it is just as common to find clever, loving male and female characters. Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Snow White and Rose Red. Not to mention Clever Else, The Magic Fishbone, The Nightengale, The Little Mermaid etc.

I have a children's story collection with a great selection of these types of stories. Mine is part of the Bookshelf for Boys and Girls series. But Collier's Classics were similar. Or you can look at Andrew Lang's fairy tales. Some won't be to your taste, but others might be.

I might suggest a couple lovely coloring books for her to draw in while you read, if you're doing books with fewer pictures (like Lang's)

My girls enjoyed No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. The little girl in the story has a talking dog and doesn't realize she's 1/2 fairy- until she starts to fly. Also, she finds out that only fairies can kiss their elbows -too cute to see my 4 year old trying so hard to kiss hers!! :001_smile: It's a good story - even my boys were entertained by it.

I LOVED No Flying in the House when I was a kid!!

I don't think a 4yo, generally speaking, has the life experience to understand the situations presented in Harry Potter. I think there are many books out there that are far more appropriate for a child just beginning to enjoy chapter books. I would save it for her to read on her own because kids *love* Harry Potter. They *love* reading it. For many, it is the first "long" or "real" chapter book they read and once they're hooked they read all of them (and they get longer and longer). Once my kids are reading, I try to select books for read alouds that I don't think they are likely to read on their own. Harry Potter isn't one of these.

I agree! I also try and pick books they wouldn't read on their own.

I have read all of the books with my now 16 yr old. He started them in 2nd grade. He was a terrific reader, but he struggled to understand most of the first book. I had to stop several times throughout the book to explain what was happening. My dd didn't even have a desire to read them until 5th grade. They do get a little creepy as you get into the series.