Menu

Help! End of pregnancy, need quick, easy meals to cook

I could use some ideas too--36 weeks tomorrow with a 4 year old and 2 year old running around!

Things that I HAVE found that work pretty well are chicken quesadilla (boil or grill some chicken, throw a tortilla on the frying pan, add some cut up chicken and cheese and tomato if you want, put another tortilla on top of it, flip a few times and you are set.) I used to cook a variety of veggies, but now we are just doing bagged salad. It is so nice to pull out a bag of salad and have the veggies covered. I will also make a batch of rice and have it to pull from for several dinners during the week.

We have also done some hotdogs for the kids (AUCK! Never before now, but I am at a loss for what to do--the past few days my husband has been gone for a job interview and so I am really resorting to easy and as healthy as I can try and make it), tacos, spaghetti, and grilled chicken. I can't eat any of the tacos or spaghetti, so I am often having grilled chicken, salad, and rice. When I am up for it, I will marinate a flank steak and grill that. Yeah, that is about it. I am totally out of ideas of food to make for my family. We are going to be so sick of salad, rice, and chicken anyday now!!

Speaking of crockpot... We make this "Island Chicken"

Throw a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with enough Italian Dressing to cover it. Let it cook until the chicken falls apart, or can be pulled apart with a fork. Then add in some brown rice (or whatever kind you like) and more dressing until the rice is done. So easy! And very good!

We are going to be so sick of salad, rice, and chicken anyday now!!

:lol: LOL! So, I was posting at the same time as you - so ignore my recipe for Island Chicken since the ingredients are rice and chicken... Haha.

One thing we like to do, and since it's starting to be better weather for it... Make huge pots of soup, and eat off of it for a day or two...

My husband makes lots of baked potato soup at a time. We have it for lunch and dinner as long as it lasts. He also makes tortilla soup.

The baked potato soup - he bakes the potatoes first, and then cools them all of the way. Then he cuts them into cubes. He uses milk, cheese, bacon, garlic, green onion, etc... It's delicious! He doesn't have a recipe per se, he just wings it and does it to taste. Of course there is like pepper, salt, etc too...

The tortilla soup is chicken stock, stewed tomatoes, cubed or sliced chicken breast, onions, garlic, corn, and he'd love to add black beans but I don't like them. Then he fries up some tortilla strips to top it with. Shredded cheese on top is good too. And you add a dallop of sour cream to your bowl it's like a whole other soup!

For you ladies I'd also suggest some casseroles... They're usually pretty easy, little clean up, and you could make a few and put the rest away til the next time.

We like mexican lasagna. Layer flour tortillas with taco seasoned ground beef, salsa or rotel, cheese, sour cream, etc... Whatever your family likes.

You can also marinate chicken tenders overnight in italian dressing and fajita seasoning (I use fat free because it makes it less greasy). Throw them in a skillet (no need for oil or anything), or on the grill. Great for fajitas, salad, quesadillas, or just by themselves. You can use breasts, but it will take them longer to marinate unless you cut them into strips. I've started tenders in the morning to cook that night, but they are better over night. You can even leave them a couple days if something happens and you don't get them cooked.

Throw chicken breasts (thawed or frozen) in crockpot - dump BBQ sauce on top - cook - shred meat and serve on buns with your choice of toppings.

Or do the same thing but with a can of enchilada sauce and tortillas.

If you don't have a crockpot, Target has the 5qt version for $15 this week!

Throw chicken breasts (thawed or frozen) in crockpot - dump BBQ sauce on top - cook - shred meat and serve on buns with your choice of toppings.

Oh yeah, I've done this with a pork roast too for pulled pork. :001_smile: And if you have a bottle of Liquid Smoke it really makes the BBQ yummy!!! If not - get some Liquid Smoke, it's pretty cheap and makes a nice flavor like you've been actually slow cooking BBQ in a pit! Umm!!!

Throw a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with enough Italian Dressing to cover it. Let it cook until the chicken falls apart, or can be pulled apart with a fork. Then add in some brown rice (or whatever kind you like) and more dressing until the rice is done. So easy! And very good!

This sounds good and EASY! I'll have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

Or do the same thing but with a can of enchilada sauce and tortillas.

If you don't have a crockpot, Target has the 5qt version for $15 this week!

I do have a crockpot, it is one of my kitchen staples! The only problem I am starting to have w/ it is that we are outgrowing it(my kids are growing too fast, and multiplying at the same time). I'm afraid I'm going to have to think about getting a second one.

I am about 34 weeks. I have recently joined e-mealz and love it! Makes shopping sooo much easier. My 15dd can follow the directions and make any of the meals I need her to. Dave Ramsey says it reduces your food bill too. So far, we have had very little we didn't care for. The menu is on the fridge and I don't have to worry about it. Also, I put only the ingredients for this weeks meals in our small kitchen pantry and store the other cans etc, that I have under my bed :)

My neighbor passed this blog on to me - the author cooked dinner for an entire year using her crock pot and blogged about it (including what her children thought of each meal). I am typically not a huge fan of my crockpot cooking, but I've made a few of these dinners and they were all very good. I am not sure if I know how to add a link properly but the site is http://crockpot365.blogspot.com (that's crockpot365 dot blogspot dot com). Hope that helps!

another crockpot quickie:

frozen ravioli

jar of spaghetti sauce

parmesan cheese

cook until bubbly. yum. :) For variety add chopped up frozen meatballs.

Have your older dds learn to do the cooking! And if you start now, you won't have to cook after the baby is born! I have similarly aged children and am due in December.

Not everyone in the family eats this with the same enthusiasm but here is dinner tomorrow at our house:

1 can of black beans

1 can of tomato paste

2 cups of frozen corn

2 bullion cubes

3+ handfuls of baby spinach leaves

1 diced onion (if I have it)

Put all into sauce pan and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of cheese on top. Sides would be bread or tortilla chips, or pasta in the bottom of the bowl, and fresh veggies!

I do have a crockpot, it is one of my kitchen staples! The only problem I am starting to have w/ it is that we are outgrowing it(my kids are growing too fast, and multiplying at the same time). I'm afraid I'm going to have to think about getting a second one.

This was my problem too but my mom got me one of the large oval ones for Christmas and I love it. I can barbque 2 roasts at a time now!:001_smile:

Have your older dds learn to do the cooking! And if you start now, you won't have to cook after the baby is born! I have similarly aged children and am due in December.

Not everyone in the family eats this with the same enthusiasm but here is dinner tomorrow at our house:

1 can of black beans

1 can of tomato paste

2 cups of frozen corn

2 bullion cubes

3+ handfuls of baby spinach leaves

1 diced onion (if I have it)

Put all into sauce pan and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of cheese on top. Sides would be bread or tortilla chips, or pasta in the bottom of the bowl, and fresh veggies!

My dd's have been doing a lot of cooking the last few months. I'm feeling guilty, though, that they are having to do so much of it, and extra cleaning around the house lately. That is why I am trying to get into the kitchen a little more to help out.

This was my problem too but my mom got me one of the large oval ones for Christmas and I love it. I can barbque 2 roasts at a time now!:001_smile:

Mine is an oval (5 or 6 quart? I think). It works great for roasts, chicken etc. But when I try to add potatoes & carrots, we start to run out of room. Of course, I like to cook enough to have left overs. Maybe that is my problem. Hmmmmm.

Hi,

I am 2 months away from delivering my baby, so needless to say, I have NO energy. But I still have a family to feed. I really need some ideas for fast, easy, cheap meals to cook. Preferably healthy or at least kind of healthy.

Have you considered freezing meals? They are my quickest options. I cannot put together a crockpot meal as quickly as I can thaw a pre-made meal and warm it. I especially love freezing soups because you can load them with nutritional foods; my tip is to use barley instead of rice or noodles because it freezes well and is more nutritious.

Otherwise, here are some of my quickest meals:

1) baked tilapia, french bread, and broccoli (15 minutes start to finish)

2) baked chicken wings or drumsticks, red potatoes, and a salad (15 minutes of prep work, more for actual cooking time)

3) taco soup (if you have pre-browned your ground turkey dinner could be ready in 20 minutes)

4) baked nachos (I don't make these very often, but dinner is ready in 15 minutes w/a bag of nachos, couple cans of black beans, and a bag of cheese, plus tomatoes and lettuce for at least some veggies)

5) Salad. Some days we make a meal out of a salad. Many options here.

6) Oven baked pancakes (more annoying because you must mix a few ingredients, but easy to get children to help because they are so tasty)

7) Tortellini or any pasta w/veggies in a white sauce (let me know if you need a decent white sauce recipe). You can always add leftover ham or chicken to these dishes too. (longer, 30 minutes prep work)

Now for the fun part, what to do about the size of that crockpot and other important appliances for larger families? We've been slowly super-sizing our kitchen. We found a 10x13 inch baking pan to use when when that 9x11 pan is just a little too small. We have the big oval crockpot, but I still think my stove and oven are better options because I tend to quadruple recipes so I can freeze half. I would like to learn how to make more side dishes in my crockpot! We've given up on normal size pots and have moved to the Le Creuset pots (cast iron would be a cheaper option). I can make some super sized batches of food in these pots.

They now make very large rice cookers (woo-hoo!). I still need to upgrade my teeny-tiny food processor and would love a *real* blender. I may ask for the blender for Christmas. :)

HTH and congrats on the pregnancy!

Have you considered freezing meals? They are my quickest options. I cannot put together a crockpot meal as quickly as I can thaw a pre-made meal and warm it. I especially love freezing soups because you can load them with nutritional foods; my tip is to use barley instead of rice or noodles because it freezes well and is more nutritious.

Otherwise, here are some of my quickest meals:

1) baked tilapia, french bread, and broccoli (15 minutes start to finish)

2) baked chicken wings or drumsticks, red potatoes, and a salad (15 minutes of prep work, more for actual cooking time)

3) taco soup (if you have pre-browned your ground turkey dinner could be ready in 20 minutes)

4) baked nachos (I don't make these very often, but dinner is ready in 15 minutes w/a bag of nachos, couple cans of black beans, and a bag of cheese, plus tomatoes and lettuce for at least some veggies)

5) Salad. Some days we make a meal out of a salad. Many options here.

6) Oven baked pancakes (more annoying because you must mix a few ingredients, but easy to get children to help because they are so tasty)

7) Tortellini or any pasta w/veggies in a white sauce (let me know if you need a decent white sauce recipe). You can always add leftover ham or chicken to these dishes too. (longer, 30 minutes prep work)

Now for the fun part, what to do about the size of that crockpot and other important appliances for larger families? We've been slowly super-sizing our kitchen. We found a 10x13 inch baking pan to use when when that 9x11 pan is just a little too small. We have the big oval crockpot, but I still think my stove and oven are better options because I tend to quadruple recipes so I can freeze half. I would like to learn how to make more side dishes in my crockpot! We've given up on normal size pots and have moved to the Le Creuset pots (cast iron would be a cheaper option). I can make some super sized batches of food in these pots.

They now make very large rice cookers (woo-hoo!). I still need to upgrade my teeny-tiny food processor and would love a *real* blender. I may ask for the blender for Christmas. :)

HTH and congrats on the pregnancy!

Thanks for the tips. Freezer cooking is something I would LOVE to do! I had actually planned on spending a week before the baby comes w/ my mom filling the freezer. However, I have not been able to save very much $$ for this plan, so I may just have to start doubling recipes and putting things in the freezer 1 at a time. Did I mention I HATE being on a budget? Ha!Ha!

I am about 34 weeks. I have recently joined e-mealz and love it! Makes shopping sooo much easier. My 15dd can follow the directions and make any of the meals I need her to. Dave Ramsey says it reduces your food bill too. So far, we have had very little we didn't care for. The menu is on the fridge and I don't have to worry about it. Also, I put only the ingredients for this weeks meals in our small kitchen pantry and store the other cans etc, that I have under my bed :)

I looked at this website and it looks like a pretty cool concept. I love the time saving factor!! But the shopping lists cost $65-$75 per week just for dinners. My budget is $120 per week so that would only leave me with $45 per week for breakfasts & lunches. Thanks for the idea anyway.

My dd's have been doing a lot of cooking the last few months. I'm feeling guilty, though, that they are having to do so much of it, and extra cleaning around the house lately. That is why I am trying to get into the kitchen a little more to help out.

You're ahead of me then! Well, on the having the girls cook...my 14yo does and I'm working with my 12yo now.

I just wanted to say we've made a lot of the same curriculum choices this year: MFW, General Science, CLE...

:grouphug:

You're ahead of me then! Well, on the having the girls cook...my 14yo does and I'm working with my 12yo now.

I just wanted to say we've made a lot of the same curriculum choices this year: MFW, General Science, CLE...

:grouphug:

So do you like what you have chosen this year? I can't even begin to imagine having a seperate curric. for each child! We do good to get most things done as it is. MFW has been an answer to prayer for us!