Menu

Laptop: Dell or Toshiba--any thoughts/opinions?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for the new laptop. I've narrowed it to a Dell or Toshiba. They have identical processors, memory, and hard drive. The Toshiba has a 16" inch monitor and the Dell has a 15". The Toshiba has better speakers. The Toshiba is $80 more expensive. Any thoughts?

I'm going to be using it for light word processing, internet, and digital scrapbooking.

I looked at the Apple macbooks, and they look really nice. I'm just not sure if they are worth the price which close to 3x what I would pay for the above two. I'm willing to consider if someone gives a compelling argument.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kristine

We have 2 Dells, 1 Toshiba....they have been equally good.

Sorry, no help!

If you are buying directly from Dell, and if you dh works for a big company, you may want to see if they are part of the employee purchase program. It saved us A lot of money on the two Dells we bought.

I love Love LOVE my Toshiba Satellite, which I purchased right after my brand new Dell Studio broke down and wouldn't eject the CD from the drive. Even the Geek Squad couldn't get it out without taking off the back panel. Needless to say, I returned the Dell after having it less than 24 hours.

Soooo, I vote for Toshiba:)

We have a Toshiba Satellite. I really like it. My main problem is with Windows, so I am going to have DH partition the hard drive and install Linux. But the computer itself has been great and has stood up well to the kids using it. We have had it about 2 years now.

We do not buy from Dell. We have had some pretty awful experiences with their customer service, and after the last time we said we would not buy their products again.

Well, we purchased dd a new Dell Laptop. We have been buying Dells since they were a tiny company .. Anyway, this one arrived stamped Made in China and the quality showed it. The CD/DVD drive refused to work, the blue screen of death showed up by week two and it went back to Dell.

We then purchased a dual core Toshiba laptop, which ran great but I should have done my research better because it ran HOT HOT HOT. Even with a cooling pad that dual processor was like having a hair dryer on high. So I took it back.

We ended up buying her a Sony Vaio dual core and she loves it, and so do I. I will say that my husband bought himself HP Dual core and it runs as well as the more expensive Vaio. I was so dissapointed in Dells quality and it could have been a fluke, but I have bought at least 10 computers from Dell over the past few years and the quality has been on a decline.

Do some research about the dual core as far as heat -- some really run very hot (not great if you keep on your lap, okay if on a desk).

I would check out HP and Sony too!

We have one of each and love them both.

Just a plug for Dell, though. We bought the cheapest Dell we could about 4 years ago now and it has taken a LOT of abuse from us, let me tell you. We have used it as our only home computer for the entire time. It has been used for everything. It's just running great. I have to say, it's been a blessing to us.

Now we have a new Toshiba and I like it, but, it does run hot. Kinda makes me nervous!

By the way, the Dell is still running great.

My Toshiba ran hot, too. It would routinely overheat itself and shut down when I was attempting to run any program that used a significant amount of cpu. At some point it overheated enough to melt the case (though it would still boot after that). After I bought a laptop stand to raise it off the table and pointed a fan at the bottom, it worked better. A component went bad after 4 yrs of near-constant use, and SO was unable to repair it. I shan't buy a Toshiba again.

My new laptop is an HP. :D

We got dd16 a Dell two years ago. It has been an absolute nightmare. Dh spends untold hours every week bringing it back to life. It has had the keyboard replaced twice while under warranty. The one that is on now is missing keys. We won't be replacing it again. We've had trouble with the adapter chord. It has been replace under warranty and should be replaced again, but of course is no longer under. It over heats. It just randomly glitches. We will never get another Dell. (Dh had good luck with them a couple of years before this. Something changed. I've heard many people with problems in the last couple of years.)