Menu

Any other MST3K (Mystery Science Theatre 3000) fans out there?

Wendi

I mentioned MST3K in the Netflix thread. Dh and I had seen a few of these a long time ago, and we've recently been watching some with 12yo ds. There are a few innuendos in some of them, but overall they've been okay with us for our ds.

My recent favorite was "The Giant Gila Monster", while ds loved "Santa Claus vs. the Martians".

Wendi

Oh, me! MST is actually my cheering-up therapy--if I've had a really bad day, it's MST I want to watch. We have the whole run on dh's computer and can watch it whenever we want. Fugitive Alien might be my favorite, but there are so many good ones....

Have you other misties tried Rifftrax? Great stuff! (Mike and two bots riff on newer blockbusters. You rent the movie and download the riff file, play together, and enjoy.)

I mentioned MST3K in the Netflix thread. Dh and I had seen a few of these a long time ago, and we've recently been watching some with 12yo ds. There are a few innuendos in some of them, but overall they've been okay with us for our ds.

My recent favorite was "The Giant Gila Monster", while ds loved "Santa Claus vs. the Martians".

Wendi

YES! My kids and I love them (DH, not so much). I've been a fan since I was in high school, and have tons of VHS tapes that I recorded off of Comedy Central. I have too many favorites to name, but "Eegah" will always be one of my favorites, and of course the Gamera movies. :lol:

Did you know Joel, Trace, Frank, Mary Jo and J. Elvis are back together and performing live (and on DVD) as Cinematic Titanic? We saw them last March, it was hilarious! They did an old movie called "Blood of the Vampires". I was a little worried when they announced the title of the movie (they didn't let you know ahead of time what movie it was going to be) but of course, the movie was so bad it wasn't scary for my oldest DD at all :lol: (DD and I went by ourselves). And it was even more hilarious seeing them do it live. We also got to meet them after the show, and they are all so nice. I even got my original MST3K membership card signed. Here's their website: www.cinematictitanic.com . Most of the movies are pretty kid-friendly, but you might want to pre-screen them...they do a couple of (crappy) 60s and 70s horror movies, and the jokes are also a little more risque than MST3K, with a bit more swearing.

Mike, Kevin, and Bill are doing Rifftrax, where they make fun of newer movies (www.rifftrax.com). I don't want to pick favorites, but I prefer Cinematic Titanic, because they stick with the really bad older movies. :)Although the Rifftrax versions of Cocktail and Roadhouse are hilarious (not so kid-friendly though, because of the movies.)

Oh yes! I've always loved MST3K! Back in college, I used to stay up way late just to watch it on Friday nights. It was on from midnight to 2:00 am.

I've got quite a few I taped off cable around here somewhere. One of my favorites was Double 007, starring Sean Connery's brother, Roger, or something. And then there was that one with the spaceships that looked like granola -- can't quite remember the name of it. I just remember that little scene where you see those granola ships flying through space and Crow said: "here they come" and Tom Servo said: "prepare the milk!"

Now I'm off to look into Cinematic Titanic.

:)

We love them. Dh took our 2 oldest to see the "live" simulcast (whatever) movie at the theatre and they said it was awesome. lol

Prince of Space is a favorite here, as well as The Killer Shrews, both from season 7.

We also love Riff Trax, by Mike Nelson and the gang. Just download and play along to the movie they are riffing. lol They have some movies that you can download with the Riff Trax commentary already recorded over top--the Twilight movie is FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!!

Wow, thanks for sharing about Rifftrax! I had no idea they were still doing stuff like that. Checked out the site and can't wait to download some of those!

My sister, DH and I are huge MST3K fans! They are my "go to" therapy for bad days, too.

Too many favorites to list, though "The Giant Gila Monster" will always be near the top because it was one of the first ones I ever saw. We also loved "Manos: The Hands of Fate."

Sometimes I think people think my sister and I have our own language because we're always throwing out lines from favorite episodes when they fit our current life situation. Example: from the "Johnny at the Fair" short...whenever I've complained about this pregnancy, my sister says "Did I tell you to have this baby?" in the same tone as from the MSTie clip.

Another favorite line is "They just didn't care!" from "Attack of the Eye Creatures". Joel and the bots show this segment of clips that show how you can see the zippers on the Eye Creatures' costumes in different scenes, and then all of them together go "They just didn't care!"

Maybe we take it too far? :lol: NAAAH!

We all love them here. We have this

on a CD and laugh hysterically every time we hear it. We quote from Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders and Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.

Our favorite from the latter is:

Movie: "Hold on to these polls. They're magnetized."

Crow: "And if your hands were made of metal, that would mean something."

And Tom Servo's line right at the beginning of this clip.

Edited by Tutor
typo