Menu

book on quilts

thowell

I saw a show on PBS a while ago about elderly women in a rural town quilting. Their talents were discovered and, later, their quilts were show in an NYC fine art museum I believe. It was a fascinating documentary. Search "the quilts of gee's bend" on amazon and you'll find books plus a dvd - I'm assuming of the show I saw.

Here's all I could find on PBS

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec03/quilts_07-01.html

Makes me want to see it again. The women were so old and were so dismissive that their quilts were anything close to art. They were so humble but their creations were amazing. I would think you could tie this in to African American culture, folk art, women's studies, early american history, gosh - almost anything.

HTH

Well, an instructional book I would recommend for a beginning quilter is Quilt in a Day's Log Cabin pattern. It's a great pattern for a beginner, very historical, and the Quilt in a Day series is excellent for newbies. You should be able to find it easily at Joann's or wherever.

I have rarely run into children's literature about quilts that really struck me as wonderful, but there are some stories out there about pioneers and quilts. Ask your friendly neighborhood librarian for help.

I have a picture book for kids called The Quilt-Block History of Pioneer Days by Mary Cobb. It is a very brief history of American quilting and shows popular quilt block patterns of the time. It is not, however, a "how to" quilt book. It does feature paper craft projects kids can make using the quilt block patterns.

I also have a few "how to" books that are great for beginning quilters, but none of them contain much history, and none of them are specifically geared toward kids.

My 14 yo dd is working on a Civil War era quilt using a pattern she found in a book called Great Civil War Projects You Can Build Yourself---which has a brief mention of the role quilts played during the Civil War period.

Edited by Imprimis

can i say both? I can quilt some and am mainly wanting something to tie in history to this. It can be a fictional story that will give them a good idea of that time period. We are currently doing world history so I just thought I would seize the opportunity.

I think this book could be really great for teaching quiltmaking in a homeschool setting: Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!. It has sections that talk about color and fabric selection, piecing, quilting, finishing, etc. It also has a number of good, basic patterns arranged from easy to more difficult (but nothing super hard). In the back, it has instructions for a sampler quilt using patterns from the book, as well as a class outline for a quilting class in which the sampler quilt is constructed. The blocks cover a good range of basic quiltmaking techniques. Or you could have your younger girls make some of the easier blocks while your older girls work on the more complicated ones.

Here are a couple of picture books. It looks like you have some dds that would need something for a higher reading level. I'm short on time now, but will have another look when I can and see if I can add a couple more.

Papa and the Pioneer Quilt

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt

We're just starting the Underground Railroad Quilt Sampler by Eleanor Burns. It's a great quilt with very clear instructions, but you might feel more comfortable if you already have some sewing experience. What you might do is pick just *1* block from the quilt and do it. That way if it turns out and you're happy, you can either do more or turn it into a pillow (the blocks are 12", which would make a great pillow cover!) and be done. :)

We studied the book The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau. We were able to find it at our library. http://www.homeschoolshare.com/QuiltmakersGift.php This is for younger children. After making the lapbook, I found that there are quilt instruction books based upon this book. Many are available at Amazon.

My older daughter has been learning to quilt and she likes this website: http://www.sewaquilt.com/. It is nice in that it shows step-by-step how to cut and sew the block.

I like this website because it takes you through quilt patterns in the era of the American Girl books. http://www.womenfolk.com/baby_quilts/american-girl-dolls.htm

And enchanted learning has many quilt blocks to color. You can also paint them online. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/artists/quilts/

Enjoy,

Lisa

thowell, thank you for posting this question and everyone who replied with resources. My dd8 is studying American History this year and wants to do more sewing projects. I think this is a great addition to our history studies - I especially like the connection with AG books for her!:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alte Veste Academy
my girls want to learn how to sew their own quilt and I was wanting to use this as a chance to pull in some American History anyone have any ideas?

You've received some very good ideas here but I wanted to add another. We're doing two years of American history and because I'm fairly CM and an avid quilter, I definitely wanted to incorporate quilting into our studies. As I began pulling from a wide variety of sources, I happily stumbled across American Doll Quilts: 16 Little Projects That Honor a Tradition. You can find it at the publisher's web site as a downloadable pdf for only $11--can't be beat!

Here are the projects it includes:

Early America (1776-1820)

Broderie Perse Quilt

Medallion Quilt

Liberty Pillow

Going West (1830-1850)

Prairie Quilt

Strippy Triangles

Red and Blue Shoo Fly

Friendship Pillow

Quilted Comfort (1861-1865)

Underground Railroad

Civil War Nine Patch

Civil War Needle Case

The Gilded Age (1876-1900)

Victorian Crazy Quilt

Indigo Blue and White Quilt

America at War & The Twenties (1914-1929)

Star Medallion

Amish Nine Patch

The Great Depression & America at War Again (1930-1945)

Feedsack Flower Garden

Forties Pinwheels

It is a treasure! I don't know if your girls are into dolls but all three of mine play with them (my two boys too). How fun to pretend play being a pioneer parent covering up baby with an authentic quilt of the period as you make your way to Oregon in your wagon!

I always recommend that new quilters start with a small project (baby or lap quilt), so I think having my young kids start with doll quilts is just perfect! We'll be doing some of the ones from this book as small individual projects but our big group project is to make a large quilt from blocks that represent the events we study (Wandering Foot/Turkey Tracks for the Westward movement, Log Cabin for Lincoln, etc.). We're all very excited about this project and it gives me a deep feeling of satisfaction to know that we'll have a lasting treasure long after our studies have ended. Plus, my kids have been begging me to teach them since they could form the words to ask. When I'm feeling very generous, I let them play with my fat quarters from my quilt stash. :D

Also, I would highly encourage a field trip to a local quilt shop to get the fabric bug! There is an incredible selection of reproduction fabrics that will make your quilts look authentic. My favorite type of quilt fabric is 1930s reproduction feedsack. Go here and here and request the free catalogs.

I would also take the girls to the library, bookstore, and online at Amazon to pick a good how-to-quilt book. Everyone has different tastes. Alex Anderson's books are great though, very easy to understand and the projects turn out beautifully. She has a good intro book for kids.

Also, your daughters might get excited about all the true handicrafts that fit into American history. There is weaving (starting with the Indians), embroidery (samplers to study colonial times are so much fun, plus there is the wonderful redwork of the 1940s!), knitting (they'll love to knit socks while you read to them about how Martha joined George to knit socks for all the poorly supplied soldiers at Valley Forge), etc. Period Pastimes: A Practical Guide to Four Centuries of Decorative Crafts was good inspiration. Fun, fun, fun!

I saw a show on PBS a while ago about elderly women in a rural town quilting. Their talents were discovered and, later, their quilts were show in an NYC fine art museum I believe. It was a fascinating documentary. Search "the quilts of gee's bend" on amazon and you'll find books plus a dvd - I'm assuming of the show I saw.

Here's all I could find on PBS

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec03/quilts_07-01.html

Makes me want to see it again. The women were so old and were so dismissive that their quilts were anything close to art. They were so humble but their creations were amazing. I would think you could tie this in to African American culture, folk art, women's studies, early american history, gosh - almost anything.

HTH

Thank you for reminding me of this amazing documentary. The women were so humble about their amazing artistry. I strongly suggest that any person interested in quilting watch this uplifting and powerful film.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
mainly wanting something to tie in history to this. It can be a fictional story that will give them a good idea of that time period.

I'm linking it up throughout history but one particularly good place is pioneer times. These people were saving scraps of fabric so patchwork quilts were of necessity, not craft. Someone has mentioned Papa and the Pioneer Quilt, I think. I thought it was particularly good for my littles (and had beautiful illustrations!). They show how the little girl collected fabric all along the Oregon trail as her family headed West.

Another good place to fit them in is in the Civil War era, as OhElizabeth is doing. One particularly good place to start is with Harriet Powers. There are two books about her, one new, both pretty good.

Stitching Stars: The Story Quilts of Harriet Powers

This I Accomplish: Harriet Powers' Bible Quilt and Other Pieces

We're just starting the Underground Railroad Quilt Sampler by Eleanor Burns.

Have you done much reading about quilts and the Underground Railroad? When I first heard of this, I was beyond excited about such a wonderful way to incorporate quilts into history but there seems to be quite a debate about whether there is much truth to it. I'm just wondering if you've looked into it at all, hoping you'll tell me that it's all 100% factual and for me to go full speed ahead... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Kristina, my mother, who runs a museum and is on the board for a local Underground RR history group, says her research indicates the thesis of the book is off and they weren't used that way, that they were more commemorative. A quick googling turned up similar thoughts. Personally, I don't care. The book is incredibly well done, with clear instructions and a quality product. I like it so much I'm doing a set of the 6" blocks along with the 12" as I teach the class. The results are terrific, accessible to careful beginners (age 10 and up), and the whole project is set up so well (from stickers to pictures to...) that it's just a pleasure to implement, very nice, recreational sewing.

I guess if it bugs you that the thesis isn't true, skip the book. I'm not a history buff, so I could care less. I don't think the author's writing is that good anyway. She'll have multiple thoughts in one page, and they don't necessarily flow. I say enjoy the book and ponder for yourself whether it would have worked or not. I like her work style so much, I'd definitely be open to doing more of her books.

BTW, I just got that Period Pastimes book you recommended, and it's AMAZING... Don't remember what I paid, but it was totally worth it. But it's way too much for a young one. I think I might use it next year as a spine for handicrafts. 6th/7th grade up would be right on with it.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Kristina, my mother, who runs a museum and is on the board for a local Underground RR history group, says her research indicates the thesis of the book is off and they weren't used that way, that they were more commemorative.

I guess if it bugs you that the thesis isn't true, skip the book.

Thanks so much for the reply. It's good to hear from someone who has researched it all. I think it wouldn't bug me so much that the stories aren't true as long as I know that, you know? I don't want to teach wrong history. I could see doing it in a commemorative way, as you say. Plus, it's a good reason to indulge my love of fat quarters. :D

BTW, I just got that Period Pastimes book you recommended, and it's AMAZING... Don't remember what I paid, but it was totally worth it. But it's way too much for a young one. I think I might use it next year as a spine for handicrafts. 6th/7th grade up would be right on with it.

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it! I do realize that it's too much for my little folks. It's mine, all mine! :lol: I have a library of handicrafts books that the kids will benefit from someday but for now, I use them for self-education and inspiration for things that are age appropriate. We will definitely be quilting though. The kids won't let me wait any longer to teach them. I'll be using the rotary cutter though. That's one part of quilt making they'll have to wait on!

Kristina, have you seen the safety rotary cutter from Dritz? It's blue and relatively safe. I don't know how young I'd go with it, but I gave it to my dd last year (9.5) with no qualms at all. She had been using my old rotary cutter (yellow, no safety guard) for a couple years before that, usually with adult supervision and occasionally without (not by my consent obviously!). That's why I got her the safe one. As I think about it though, that's cutting where precision doesn't matter, cutting out stuff they want to cut. It takes a lot more coordination to hold the cutter to the ruler and get it right, even with an adult holding the ruler. They might be 8 or 9 before that really comes together. In any event, I would feel safer knowing that my precious ones can't get into it and hurt themselves. I had always threatened her up and down if she ever took my rotary cutter, but she did anyway, just because she was curious. The Dritz one (blue) is really snazzy, safe, and easy peasy. I'm totally sold on it and got one for myself too. :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Kristina, have you seen the safety rotary cutter from Dritz? It's blue and relatively safe. I don't know how young I'd go with it, but I gave it to my dd last year (9.5) with no qualms at all. She had been using my old rotary cutter (yellow, no safety guard) for a couple years before that, usually with adult supervision and occasionally without (not by my consent obviously!). That's why I got her the safe one. As I think about it though, that's cutting where precision doesn't matter, cutting out stuff they want to cut. It takes a lot more coordination to hold the cutter to the ruler and get it right, even with an adult holding the ruler. They might be 8 or 9 before that really comes together. In any event, I would feel safer knowing that my precious ones can't get into it and hurt themselves. I had always threatened her up and down if she ever took my rotary cutter, but she did anyway, just because she was curious. The Dritz one (blue) is really snazzy, safe, and easy peasy. I'm totally sold on it and got one for myself too. :)

Hmmm, I'll have to get one. My cutters are kept under lock and key in my closet for now. I don't know how old the kids will be before I let them cut. I'm a safety freak. I even keep all our medicine in a locked toolbox. :lol:

Oh, see I leave things out, but I threaten her within an inch of her life. :)

But my mother did the same thing to me, when I was a kid, telling me I'd DIE if I put my finger in the electrical outlet. I got married thinking you really would die! My dh laughed when I told him that, because apparently it's not true. It would hurt you, but it wouldn't KILL you, not as emphatically as my mother put it. ;)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Oh, see I leave things out, but I threaten her within an inch of her life. :)

But my mother did the same thing to me, when I was a kid, telling me I'd DIE if I put my finger in the electrical outlet. I got married thinking you really would die! My dh laughed when I told him that, because apparently it's not true. It would hurt you, but it wouldn't KILL you, not as emphatically as my mother put it. ;)

:lol: Well, with DS6, I could leave a plugged-in chainsaw in the middle of the living room floor, tell him not to touch it and go take a shower. With DD5 and DS3, I could lock the chainsaw up in the box in the attic and tell them that if they touched it, it would kill them--that it would turn on and instantly come to life and start cutting and just flat out kill them. They would think that was funny and instantly start scheming to get at it. DS3 in particular, thinks it is HILARIOUS to do exactly what I tell him not to, even if I tell him it's dangerous. (He really earned his nickname of Mr. IMPudence! Part of it is age but I think it's 95% personality.) Around here, saying nothing and locking up the danger leaves me less stressed all around. :D

*Disclaimer: I have never and will never expose young children to the dangers of plugged-in chainsaws, attic steps, threats of death, etc., etc., etc.