Menu

Anyone care to teach me what they know about apples?

So the neighbor guy (who also happens to be the son of dh's boss, and works at the company with dh), has an apple tree. He said the boys can pick apples whenever they want. He joked that I should make him an apple pie; I think that would actually be a nice thing to do.

Except, I've got no idea what kind of apples these are. I mean, we don't live in farm country, we're here in Suburbia. :tongue_smilie: So can you look at these pictures and tell me what kind of apples they are? Oh, and why are they so much smaller than the ones I see in the stores? Are they ripe yet? And what's with all the dings, bumps, and spots on them? Are they even good?

Help a city girl out here, would ya?

Dings, bumps and spots are what are on regular apples that are not commercially grown! LOL Last year, a friend gave me boxes of apples from another friend's apple trees and regular apples do not come all perfect and shiny, like what's at the grocery store. Just cut off any nicks and bruises and the rest should be fine.

As for the kind? I've no idea.

I love galas for pie! We also use golden delicious. In fact, my least favorite pie apples are granny's - which is what many people use. You can use less sugar or just have an extra sweet pie - whichever you prefer. The only thing I don't like is if they get too mushy which can happen with some of the sweeter apples but when they are picked and used fresh, it is less likely to happen.

Ok, but wait, I have more questions!

Sooo, they're ripe for sure? I mean, NOW is when you pick apples, right? I don't know how to tell if they're ripe. I mean, I assume they're supposed to be red, so any that aren't red yet, those wouldn't be ripe, right?

And, ok, they're just so much smaller and, well, uglier than store bought apples! They'll still taste good?

And thirdly, if anyone would like to share with me just how one makes applesauce, I'd love to try it. But, I have a hunch that it is something you can, which I've never done, nor do I have the equipment for. :tongue_smilie:

Sooo, they're ripe for sure? I mean, NOW is when you pick apples, right? I don't know how to tell if they're ripe. I mean, I assume they're supposed to be red, so any that aren't red yet, those wouldn't be ripe, right?

And, ok, they're just so much smaller and, well, uglier than store bought apples! They'll still taste good?

And thirdly, if anyone would like to share with me just how one makes applesauce, I'd love to try it. But, I have a hunch that it is something you can, which I've never done, nor do I have the equipment for. :tongue_smilie:

Bite one and find out! If it's a bit tart, make a pie with more sugar, if it's sweet make it with less.

Apples are all different colors. red and green, green, all red, red blush. It depends on the type. And the ugly ones taste better, the store just likes to trick you with pretty but tasteless apples.

You may want to look up an applesauce recipe on foodtv.com that you like.

If they are red, pick them. If they are green, but are supposed to be red, do not pick them. Little green apples and all that...

And, ok, they're just so much smaller and, well, uglier than store bought apples! They'll still taste good??

Better.

I'm sure you have the right stuff. You can use a really big pot (dutch oven), peel them, dice them, add about 1/2 c water per 8-10 apples, and simmer them until they are mushy, then stir them really well. You should really call in the dc and have them help you taste while they are cooking...you can add honey or sugar, cinnamon and /or nutmeg while it simmers til it tastes as you like it! You can also do this in a crock pot on low for about 5 hours or so. I plan to do ours in my mother's Nesco tomorrow (my poor peelin' hands!)

Oh, I should probably add that I have yet to learn to can (it IS, however, on my to do list). I freeze my applesauce.

Edited by LauraGB

Good time to can:-) The Good will has many canners, usually, and you can get a canner for not too much...either in a thrift store...or other spot. Make sure it's tall enough for the jars to go in, plus I think it's an inch or two about...of water... (I bought a tall one by luck, but my friends...was just too short..)

Anyway, you can google for your county extension's number, and if you go in...they can usually tell you what variety things are... (I think)

I canned for the first time this year, and it was awesome....many jars of pears and peaches and Italian Prunes. YAY. I feel so productive! (My mom and I did this)

BTW, you can usually find Apple, peeler, corer slicers at the GoodWill or new... They are worth it cuz they'll zip right through getting the apples ready..

Also, my mom freezes her applesauce, puts them in bread pans, then she pops them out of the pan and uses a Food saver to keep it fresh. My favorite is canned.. but the frozen works too.. Also, you can freeze apple slices for pies...later...

Carrie:-)