Menu

What do you think of Rightstart Math?

pmdjm5

I've been using it for a few weeks now with my 6 year old, and we love it. I held back from getting it for awhile because I was worried about how time intensive it looked. It IS pretty time-intensive, but it's worth it, IMO. He's really getting all the concepts quickly, and he's enjoying it a lot.

We love RightStart! I ordered RS B last year to use with my struggling math phobic dd7 and my ds5. It is time consuming, but it is worth it! They love the math games. The customer service is wonderful. I was frustrated last week with my dd and called them. They gave me some wonderful advice (put the book away and just play games for a while) to cement her basic facts.

My older dds used Math U See and have now switched to Saxon. My dd10 is moving quickly through Saxon 5/4. It is funny because my ds5 just this evening walked into the kitchen holding up two Star Wars light sabers and said,"Look Mom! I am making parallel lines!" My dd10 couldn't believe he knew something at 5 that she was just learning. I have also noticed the same thing about the mental math problems.

RS wants the dc to really understand the math concepts not just memorize. They emphasize using the abacus and not counting.

This is more than you wanted to know I am sure, but I love RS!

Jenn

DS9 will be starting Level E soon, DS6 just started Level C. It was the ideal program for DS9 when we started - he is very hands-on, as befits a legomaniac. I am amazed by the ability to do mental math that has resulted from the program and the clear understanding of underlying concepts, and both DS have really picked up on any "tricks" to doing problems.

In the early days (Levels A and B) I worried too much about the absence of worksheets and supplemented with a bit of Singapore. By Level C, that was a non-issue (we still do some Singapore word problems, though I can't really say why). We plan to go through RS Geometry then switch to whatever.

Best wishes deciding!

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1: here. It is rather time consuming, but it works so well and Ariel loves math time. We did RS A last year and are about a quarter of the way through B. We both liked it so much that I went ahead and bought level C at the same time as B, so I could make sure to have it on hand when she is ready for it. It works best for children that need hands-on or are visual learners, and for the worksheet-phobic younger kids. My child is all of the above.

I am using RS A for my DS4. DS6 is using singapore and miquon. But, he's included in the lessons. Both of my DS's really like it. I like that it is hands on and manipulative oriented. I think that it adds a degree of richness to the homeschooling experience. I am not very far into the program. But, we like it so far.

I love RS. I'm using level B with my 6 year old. I don't think it is time-consuming, but maybe I don't understand what people are referring to, or maybe I don't have anything to compare it to, or maybe it's because I have a math background. I look at the "materials needed" list the day before...which are pretty much all in a small plastic tote, then I gather them. Most of what I need is already gathered from the day before. I don't think I've needed to retrieve a new manipulative all week. Anyway, I gather the materials, skim the lesson and am ready to go. It takes 5 minutes at the most. Now, if people are talking about the lesson itself, then I guess it just depends on the kid.

I'd also like to add that I am a former (and future) high school math teacher and I strongly believe in the Right Start way of doing math.....wish all my students had been taught that way.

We just started using level B and are on lesson 25. So far I think it's absolutely great. I don't find it all that time consuming. The beginning part has a section called Warm Up and I don't always do that. I love, love, love that this curriculum does not have a daily worksheet. Sometimes there will be a worksheet but mostly it's just teaching the lesson with the manipulatives and playing games. I also really love how RS does not use drills for math facts, it uses games instead.

I do use my photocopier often to copy off something in the appendix or a worksheet. So not sure if that would be a problem if someone did not have an all in one printer.

. I don't think it is time-consuming, but maybe I don't understand what people are referring to, or maybe I don't have anything to compare it to, or maybe it's because I have a math background. I look at the "materials needed" list the day before...which are pretty much all in a small plastic tote, then I gather them. Most of what I need is already gathered from the day before. I don't think I've needed to retrieve a new manipulative all week. Anyway, I gather the materials, skim the lesson and am ready to go. It takes 5 minutes at the most. Now, if people are talking about the lesson itself, then I guess it just depends on the kid.

I'm talking about the lesson itself, and comparing it to something like Singapore. It's not necessarily more time consuming for the student, but it is for the parent, because it's scripted and I have to sit there with him the whole time and can't be helping another kid at the same time. I have three, so it's something I have to think about. My older son does Singapore, and I spend a few minutes going over the lesson with him and then he does it on his own.

We did levels B through E and my son has a really deep understanding of mathematical concepts. He went right into Singapore 5 with no problems at all.

Two pieces of advice: don't skip the warm-ups (that's essential for review), and when they "suggest" games at the end of the lesson "if you have time," play them. All of them. Even if it stretches the curriculum into the summer a bit. The games are essential to the program, and they don't use that language much in Level B ("if you have time"), but by Level C they do and I wish they wouldn't! The factoring games suggested in Level E are really handy for both division and also for, well, factoring!

Those of you with just the math games book who are doing multi-digit multiplication and division with your child (4th-6th grade depending on the program), I highly recommend finding those factoring games and playing them.

Have fun!

Julie

We did levels B through E and my son has a really deep understanding of mathematical concepts. He went right into Singapore 5 with no problems at all.

Two pieces of advice: don't skip the warm-ups (that's essential for review), and when they "suggest" games at the end of the lesson "if you have time," play them. All of them. Even if it stretches the curriculum into the summer a bit. The games are essential to the program, and they don't use that language much in Level B ("if you have time"), but by Level C they do and I wish they wouldn't! The factoring games suggested in Level E are really handy for both division and also for, well, factoring!

Those of you with just the math games book who are doing multi-digit multiplication and division with your child (4th-6th grade depending on the program), I highly recommend finding those factoring games and playing them.

Have fun!

Julie

I will second all Julie has said. I think half the success of my kids is all the games they play, which is one a day. The warms ups I agree are also essential, even if they are easy for the child. They do in level C and D begin to use more review worksheets so it doesn't stay as intense as level B and the beginning of C work.

Heather

Love it, too! My dd9 used Transitions, C and D. It gave her math sense that I didn't have to give. I wish I had found it sooner with her. It has not been a good fit for ds8. He has significant special needs (Down Syndrome) and it's too much, too fast. I'd love to use it with him because I'm sold on the methodology but it's just not a good fit, at least not right now.

By the way, my dd was never a manipulatives kind of kid (she never wanted to use the manips and we didn't use the games) and RS still did amazing things for her. I think it depends on the kid. Maybe the games would have reinforced things even more but I was thrilled with the results of just the lessons.

Carolyn