Menu

WWE Question about child answering in complete sentences?

Nancy Ann

How do I explain to my child to answer in complete sentences! I feel like a complete idiot!!:D This should be an easy thing to explain but for some reason I can't get it out and I might as well be talking in Klingon! Though he may actually understand Klingon with all the Star Trek we watch!:)

I think the idea is that when he answers with just a word or phrase, you put it into a complete sentence and have him repeat it back to you. I don't think explaining a complete sentence is going to make sense because he's not gotten into topic in grammar.

Other responses? :lurk5:

How do I explain to my child to answer in complete sentences! I feel like a complete idiot!!:D This should be an easy thing to explain but for some reason I can't get it out and I might as well be talking in Klingon! Though he may actually understand Klingon with all the Star Trek we watch!:)

In FLL 1/2 SWB begins to explain what a real sentence is (lesson 92 first grade) so I don't think it is too crazy to tell your 6-7 year old that "A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought." I follow that up with every sentence should have a subject (usually a noun or pronoun) and a predicate (usually a verb phrase or something that expresses something about the subject). IMO this isn't too much for a 6-7 year old to learn. And of course you follow this up with lots of examples.

So when you say "Use a complete sentence to list two things you remember about the story," and the student responds, "A gingerbread house and a witch." You respond, "Right, in the story there was a gingerbread house and a witch. Repeat the whole sentence after me. 'In the story there was a gingerbread house and a witch."

In FLL 1/2 SWB begins to explain what a real sentence is (lesson 92 first grade) so I don't think it is too crazy to tell your 6-7 year old that "A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought." I follow that up with every sentence should have a subject (usually a noun or pronoun) and a predicate (usually a verb phrase or something that expresses something about the subject). IMO this isn't too much for a 6-7 year old to learn. And of course you follow this up with lots of examples.

So when you say "Use a complete sentence to list two things you remember about the story," and the student responds, "A gingerbread house and a witch." You respond, "Right, in the story there was a gingerbread house and a witch. Repeat the whole sentence after me. 'In the story there was a gingerbread house and a witch."

We have not gotten that far in FLL. Even though my son is a second grader I decided to start close to the begining with FLL and WWE. I will look at that lesson and try that and see how it goes. I will continue with the example way and see if it clicks as well.

The grammar stage years are specifically taking in information to begin building a foundation, such as in grammar. They do this by listening to and repeating the information to the parent, usually over and over. Therefore, you can define a sentence to a child, but it doesn't mean they will understand that definition. That's why the concepts in FLL are repeated so much. My dd learned the definition of a noun and verb in FLL and was able to tell me exactly what they were because she had memorized the information, but she couldn't point out a noun from a sentence on her own right away.

One great place to hear SWB discuss this is her cd called Writing Without Fear.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Schoolhouse Rock! Grammar Rock has a song about Mr. Morton.

Mr. Morton has been a key to soooo much at our house! The theme of the song is, "Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does." I just remind them that we need both parts to make a sentence.

My four-year-old understands what a complete sentence is, thanks to Mr. Morton. The older boys understand their Rod and Staff grammar better, too.

I tell my kids that for right now they can think of a complete sentence as having something being done, and someone doing it. That works well for my six-year-old in WWE. My 9yo knows about objects and subjects.

You might turn it on it's head and discuss fragments instead, like, channeling Papa Bear, this is what you must never do. GrammarGirl might help.

Schoolhouse Rock! Grammar Rock has a song about Mr. Morton.

Mr. Morton has been a key to soooo much at our house! The theme of the song is, "Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does." I just remind them that we need both parts to make a sentence.

My four-year-old understands what a complete sentence is, thanks to Mr. Morton. The older boys understand their Rod and Staff grammar better, too.

Oh, this is my favorite Schoolhouse Rock! I agree it would be a great resource for teaching this (though I never thought of it....thank you!). This video is available on Youtube.