Menu

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix that doesn't use non-dairy creamers?

I'm looking for a recipe for homemade hot chocolate mix for my kiddos. I can't use the non-dairy creamers because of they have corn syrup solids and my ADHD dd's behaviour is great affected by anything with corn syrup.

I've already checked out Hillbilly housewife -- no luck. Any other suggestions?

I don't have a mix, but when I make my dc hot chocolate I just use cocoa, sugar, and milk. I heat it all on low until it's nice and warm. Sorry I can't give you measurements, but I never measure anything!

That is what we use also. If I want a big batch that the kids can get to through the winter I just mix the cocoa (dark chocolate), sugar and powdered sugar together in a glass container with a lid. They get 1-2 tlb. spoons and mix it with water or milk. Google easy cocoa mix recipes or something like that for exact measurements. I don't measure anything either lol.

I've just used dry milk powder, cocoa, sugar, and a wee tiny pinch of salt. It's not quite as "creamy" as the pre-made dry powders, but it's not bad either. I definitely prefer it with real milk, but having some of this made up avoids the kids having to heat milk on the stove. You can pre-mix it all (I don't remember the exact measurements, but it's easy enough to figure out based on the number of cups you want prepared) and store it in any airtight container.

I just use the Ghirardelli hot cocoa - it's just cocoa and sugar (not corn syrup). I like the chocolate mocha flavor, which has a bit of coffee in it too, but I don't let the kids have that one; it's mine!

You mix it into hot milk - I just heat it in the micro (heat milk first, then stir in).

For some reason this works much better for me than if I use the unsweetened cocoa and my own sugar - that always comes out lumpy; this mixes in easily (and it doesn't have added junk, so who knows why?)