Menu

Very new to homeschooling

Guest coastalnurse

Guest coastalnurse

I plan to take my daughter (now 6yo) out of school at the end of first grade and homeschool for 2nd grade. I am so overwhelmed by all the possiblities and choices for curriculum. I have had some friends recommend Sonlight and many who use a blend. There is a homeschool "academy" in our area that uses the classical approach and I think I really like this. But I am so confused and overwhelmed by all the choices (grammar, spelling, phonics, lit, history/geography, and especially when to start and what to use for Latin). Can anyone help me?

Have you read the Well Trained Mind yet? It would be a good place to start. And just read this board for a while. We talk about a lot of curriculum choices.

A couple of words of wisdom:

First of all, you don't have to get it all right the first time. In general, while it is good to find a curriculum you like and stick with it, there are bound to be false starts, and that's OK.

Secondly, most of us don't start Latin in 2nd grade. You can give yourself a little breather on that. Most of us who want to start Latin early start in the 3rd grade (unless a younger child is listening in with an older child).

Third, I'd think twice about the academy. I know that works for a lot of families, and maybe it will work for yours. But for my taste, that represents the worst of both worlds: You still have to do much of the work of teaching, but you have no choices in the curriculum or the pace. Yes, I know you would also have the advantage of professional teachers, like-minded friends, and some break for you. But that wouldn't make it worthwhile for me. Go and observe a day, and see what you think.

Sonlight is a fine choice if you like books and like to read aloud (not everyone does). But there are many other fine choices as well.

Have you been to your library yet and just read a few books on getting started with homeschooling? Or do you have a curriculum bookstore or curriculum fair in your area? That's a good place to start to get your thoughts together. You'll get a lot of good advice here too.

Relax, you have plenty of time to work this out! I took my dd out of ps at the same age and we've almost made it through 8th grade. Enjoy your time together and don't worry about everything looking like school.

I've learned alot from Susan Wise Bauer's book, "The Well-Trained Mind". We enjoyed her "The Story of the World" books. Check them out at Peace Hill Press on this web site. You would want the narrative style text and the activity book. This would include history, geography, and literature selections. It is easy to use and you don't have to do everything.

We also like audio books, math, and foreign language cds in the car.

I'm sure you'll get alot of help here on the boards.

You're getting good advice! I'd also add to try to connect with some local homeschool groups and/or go to conventions so you can see things. Just take your time, consider your options, and chose with your heart. Some things or styles of things your dd is doing in school might continue to work if you bring them home. Other things might need to be very different. My first question was going to be whether she reads yet? Obviously that's going to drive what you needs as far as phonics/LA. Pick a math you think will work for her. Then pick some fun stuff (history, Sonlight, SOTW, whatever) that calls to you. Don't try too hard this first year. Just try some things and consider it getting acquainted, going through the steps of learning how she learns and how you like to work. You'll get used to each other, find your way, and find your groove.

I'll toss this in because my dd has a spring birthday. Is your dd young for her age? You might keep that in mind as you consider grade recommendations in WTM, etc., anywhere where the expectations are pretty advanced. For instance, if my dd has a spring birthday in 3rd grade and someone else's has an early fall, they're literally 9 months apart, which is a WORLD of difference when you're that young. It affects how much they're ready to write, the length of time they're comfortable spending on things, their overall academic endurance, etc. Don't compare her to kids way older and expect the same things. Nuts, in general it's not good to compare, but especially when there's a big age spread, kwim? My dd works hard and learns quickly, but she still acts like a kid 9 months younger than some bright kids in the same grade around here. She is who she is! So to deal with that, I pick up WTM, read the sections, and then do what fits her, irrespective of the grade designation. I plow forward and move on to the next thing when she's ready, whether that's fall or January or whatever. That works best for us, where dd is on the young end of her grade. Just something to consider.

On that homeschool academy, if you like it, that's fine. I wouldn't feel pressured to join it though, because you can do just fine without it, honest. In fact, as the others said, it's actually EASIER sometimes without a structure like that, because you feel more in control and can make it fit your schedule and your family's lifestyle. We've been doing co-op classes this year, and while I LOVE that it gets things done, I DON'T love when we don't get the assignments done, DON'T love when I'm having a bad day and don't want it to happen. And I think many of the parents feel disconnected from what's happening in our classes, like they don't know how to help their littles because they're not doing it themselves. So don't feel pressured to join anything. You could presumably join later if you find you want it.

Have fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes! :)

Wow, I could've written this post at exactly this time last year! My husband and I were sending both of our daughters (then 6 & 3) to a very expensive private school for gifted students. I still think it's the best school in our area, but it cannot come close to the quality of education our girls are receiving this year at home!

First, let me 2nd Cindy's advice regarding the homeschool academy. I know (especially since you're used to being in a school setting) that an academy of like-minded homeschoolers probably sounds very appealing to you at this moment, but like Cindy, I would suggest you take your time with that decision. To begin with, I don't believe there are that many "like-minded" homeschoolers located in a small geographical area. I also think once you get to design your dd's education, you're not going to want to relinquish that power, flexibility, freedom, etc... very readily. Granted, it's an enormous responsibility and I can be struck with an "Oh no, should we be doing THAT?!" at any moment, but after tasting the freedom of selecting just the right program for my children I wouldn't want it any other way.

Having a year under my belt now, I think the best advice I can give you is to relax. There are as many options available today as there are homeschoolers. The choices are truly endless and there are no right/wrong ones. Whichever time, program, style best fits your family is the right one for you. I also wouldn't purchase a lot of curriculum right away. Read, read, read. Read books on homeschool approaches; read these boards; read anything that provides you with more information to better make the choices you will need to make. And then, after you've read... give yourself time to ponder. A year ago, I would read something about an approach or a curriculum and immediately think I had to have it which resulted in a huge amount of wasted money!

Many people start out on the classical path and then take detours. If I had this past year to do all over again, I would focus my energy on finding a reading, writing and math curriculum that best met my dd's needs and not stressed so much over all the extras. You will find your own way and I'm thrilled to welcome you on this exciting journey! Best wishes!!

If you are new to home schooling, I would definitely recommend getting a comprehensive type of guide to home schooling by Mary Pride. I can't remember the exact name of the book but you should educate yourself about the many different ways and styles to home school your child. You may find that a few different styles and types of curriculum appeal to you, or you may find that one style really stands out as the perfect fit. Keep in mind that you can always try different things. IMO the best way to get started is to get of an overview of your options, then dig in. Good Luck!

Have you read the Well Trained Mind yet? It would be a good place to start. And just read this board for a while. We talk about a lot of curriculum choices.

A couple of words of wisdom:

First of all, you don't have to get it all right the first time. In general, it is good to find a curriculum you like and stick with it, there are bound to be false starts, and that's OK.

<snip>

Have you been to your library yet and just read a few books on getting started with homeschooling? Or do you have a curriculum bookstore or curriculum fair in your area? That's a good place to start to get your thoughts together. You'll get a lot of good advice here too.

Excellent, excellent advice. This is my first year HSing, and in January, after trying out my first choices for a few months and seeing where that took us, I scrapped the whole pile and started fresh with new materials. The fit is much better, but I would never have known if I hadn't tried other stuff first.

I agree with Cindy--spent the next few months reading TWTM, reading here, and looking at some basic "how to homeschool" type books. You'll start to get a feel for what you and your DD might like to do after awhile, and you can go from there.

Welcome, and good luck!

In order to get a handle on the options out there--and how to get what you and your daughter need, I highly recommend Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.

And welcome! I pulled my son out at the end of first grade too--best thing I've ever done for him.

I 2nd Cathy Duffy's book. It has good info at the front of the book about your and your childs learning style. This book also helped me pick out what I thought would work before buying alot of different programs. After I got a grip on that I read The Well Trained Mind again. In fact I still read TWTM a couple of times a year. If you are a computer type person you could try a free software called homeschool tracker. It has really helped me stay on track. If you are a paper person donnayoung.org has lots of printables to help you get your plan together. The people on the board are so helpful, and full of wonderful advise on reviews of different products.

HTH,

Kim

I also reccommend Cathy Duffy's book and reading TWTM. And I would like to second your friends reccommendation of Sonlight. We blend WTM and Sonlight, using Sonlight for history, Bible and read-alouds and WTM stuff for our LA, science and art/music. It has worked well for us. I also think it really good advice to relax, you don't have to get it all right the first year!

In addition to what has been said, I would suggest reading about the different approaches to homeschooling and narrowing down your choices to two or three. Then I would think about how much time you have to dedicate to it, and how your daughter learns best. This will help you in determing which curriculum to go with. Best wishes for a successful year!

I plan to take my daughter (now 6yo) out of school at the end of first grade and homeschool for 2nd grade. I am so overwhelmed by all the possiblities and choices for curriculum. I have had some friends recommend Sonlight and many who use a blend. There is a homeschool "academy" in our area that uses the classical approach and I think I really like this. But I am so confused and overwhelmed by all the choices (grammar, spelling, phonics, lit, history/geography, and especially when to start and what to use for Latin). Can anyone help me?

I've just kind of skimmed through the responses. . .

One thing I would do is take stock of yourself, your family situation, and your daughter right now.

For example, if you only have the one daughter and no younger kids running around, your school would be quite a bit different than if you did (have younger kids running around).

Is your daughter "hands-on"? Are you? Do you need a schedule, or are you more free flowing? What about your daughter? How do you and she feel about workbooks? How do you and your daughter best learn? If you are opposites, you will have to learn to "mesh" the two.

Can your daughter "read" already? Or at least have the basics down?

I don't ask that question lightly as I took one of my children out of school and was told he had "slight difficulties" with reading, when in fact, he couldn't read period -- but had a fantastic memory, and was "reading" stories after hearing them once through.

What about family support? (especially the husband/father). . .

How are you about a neat/clean/organized house?

Taking stock of these things, and others, as this is far from an extensive list, will actually have a great deal to do with how you decide to proceed and what you will use.

The "relax" advice, is probably the best you'll ever hear. . .and the absolute worse to actually implement. ;) (Something about the fear of messing up your child. . . )

I don't know anyone that ever felt they did it "perfect", nor do I know anyone that doesn't "tweak" yearly, and we've been doing this quite a while now.

Enjoy the journey.

First, take a deep breath. It will all be okay.

I'd like to add my vote for this:

In order to get a handle on the options out there--and how to get what you and your daughter need, I highly recommend Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.

I just picked up this book over the weekend, and have been using it extensively to help me figure out just what resources match up with my overall educational philosophy. (And if you don't know what your educational philosophy is, it will help you with that too.)

Other books about homeschooling, methods, guides, etc. that I have loved are: The Well Trained Mind, For the Children's Sake (a book by Susan Schaeffer Macauley (sp?), which is a really nice guide to the Charlotte Mason method.

I think the Core Knowledge books (What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know, for ex.) are a good place to start for a nice base of what you want to teach, etc.

Hang out here, there are really smart people here (I'm not one of them, I just hope some of it will rub off on me! :) ). Read and breathe, it's going to be fine.

:)

Melissa

Guest coastalnurse

Wow! You have all been incredibly helpful and supportive. I wrote down most of your suggestions in the way of book titles, authors and websites. I definitely plan to hang out here more! My daughter will be 7 in May and my other daughter will be 3 in May. I work 2 12hr night shifts per week, so I will have to be flexible for sure. But if there is one thing I DO know for sure right now (even if I don't know anything else for sure!), it is that there are more family configurations and life situations that are making homeschooling work than can be counted. Thanks again for all the advice and know that I'm "watching" and learning from you all.

April

Hi there :) I am in a very similar situation. My oldest dd just turned 7 this week and is in 1st grade. I will not be sending her back to school next year and will instead hs. I have been overwhelmed and sleep deprived for about 5 weeks, which is approximately how long ago I made the decision to hs. I think I've read about 5 homeschooling books, visited every message board and perused the zillion hs catalogs I've had sent to the house in that short amount of time. You have received some wonderful advice here and although I know it is hard to relax, it is important to remember to do that... breathe. (I think I said that not only for your benefit, but for mine as well!)

Some books I've read (all or part of): Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Starting Homeschooling (something like that), The Well-Trained Mind, So, You're Thinking about Homeschooling (Lisa Welchel), Homeschooling 101, Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Picks... that might be it. This site and homeschoolreviews have been the most beneficial to me. The women on those two sites (many crossovers I've noticed) have been so very helpful.

Good luck to you! Clarity will come.