Menu

S.E. Hinton's That Was Then, This is Now...thoughts?

My dd12 (8th grader) was assigned this book today. It is about these 16yo boys who have grown up together as best friends. Now, one is discovering that he has issues with the drugs and violence happening all around him while the other seems to be gravitating toward that "bad crowd". Themes in the book: drugs, alcohol, overdosing, dating/kissing, acid trips, smoking, hustling pool at the local bar/pool hall, street violence, etc. I'm not prude, but I find this extremely inappropriate for a 12/13yo. I'm appalled that this book has been assigned to 8th graders. Are there not more appropriate, worthwhile books to read out there? Why do public schools seem to gravitate toward these "new classics"? My dd is a voracious reader...this book has mature content, but no educational worth what-so-ever. What would you do? Ask if she can read another book? This is just one more issue I am having with dd's school. Grrrr.... Anyone have a child who has read this? Your thoughts? Am I overreacting? For the record, dh doesn't approve either.

This book is standard 8th grade literature that has been taught for at least 30 plus years. Teachers select this book because it appeals to both boys and girls. If memory serves me correctly, although there are mature themes, there are no out and out extra-marital relations. For most public school students, there will be nothing they haven't heard about before. Students get to live vicariously through the characters. Read it with your daughter and use it as a basis to discuss ethics and morality.

I didn't read such things in 8th grade...and that was 25 years ago. Might be appealing to most ps kids but I for one find it inappropriate for 12/13 yos. True, my daughter has been homeschooled since 3rd grade, but it's not like she lives in a cave. She's been exposed to talk about drugs, alcohol, sex, violence, etc. Seems like the kind of book the kids could just read on their own if the interest was there...not a book to be assigned to (forced on) a class full of young adolescents. I mean, the protagonists/s in the book are 16yo. World of difference btwn. 16 and 12, kwim? Don't mean to start an argument, or be a prude here or whatever...I just find it inappropriate.

This would bother me as well. I would talk to the teacher and diplomatically ask what the educational goals are in assigning the book. There may be another book DD can read that you find more suitable that would serve the same purpose. This happened several times to me in high school, and my parents, teachers and I were always able to resolve the problem amicably usually with the substitution of another book. Just be prepared to explain what exactly it is about the book you find offensive. Most reasonable teachers will be willing to work with you :).

and enjoyed it, but I was either a Junior or a Senior in high school when I read it. I agree that it really isn't appropriate for 8th graders. I would ask if there is an alternative book your child could read ... my mother did that for me when they wanted me to read a book I wasn't comfortable with in Junior High. It's worth a try anyway.

It's been a long time since I read it.

However, based on what you've shared here (and on my memory of The Outsiders, also by Hinton, which I've reread recently) it sounds like an age-appropriate book for middle school. This is an age when many of them are facing issues with childhood friends whose paths are diverging. Are sex and drugs promoted in the book? It sounds like the protagonist is against them.

Certainly, if you are uncomfortable with your daughter reading the book, I'd meet with the teacher and request a substitute novel. However, I wouldn't go into the meeting with the attitude that this novel is totally inappropriate for 8th graders and has "no educational worth what-so-ever"--because I don't think it's true and it's likely to make the teacher defensive.

K12.com includes it in their list of novels for Intermediate English A and B (6th and 7th grades). Students pick three out of the list, so they can opt not to read it, though.

Maybe your daughter's school would allow her to read a different book.

Sue, when I taught reading, I had one parent (a former homeschooler :)) who asked if her son could read a different book than what was on the school's list to be read. I had no problem with working with the parent to pick out a book that she thought was suitable. Maybe if you approach it the right way, the teacher will work with you. She may say that she has to get another book approved by an administrator; if so, then talk to an administrator.

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I read this book as a naive 8th-grader. Really opened my eyes to what was going on around me. I found it very interesting, but it certainly did not encourage me to participate in drug use, sex, etc.

I would let my child read it in school at that age, unless she was uncomfortable with it. Then I would ask for an alternate book. (BTW- if I was uncomfortable with any book choice, I would ask for another book.)

I never read it in school either, but different classes read different things. I'm reading it now, though, and the protagonist is only 14. It definitely does not glorify sex, drugs, and rock and roll. It shows a very ugly and sad side of that life, and the ugliness of class warfare (almost literally) in a small Midwestern town. I wouldn't worry about your DD reading it, and I think it would make a great book to discuss with her. It's very readable and accessible to young teens and was written when S.E. Hinton was only 15 herself. I think that's part of the reason it speaks so strongly to teens. I think that can be incredibly inspiring to them. It was to me when I was a teen, reading her other books. I also think it has a lot of merit in terms of learning about humanity and how people in any class can transcend the ugliness that surrounds them (or at least try to).

Sue, did you actually read it? If you read the whole thing, you might feel differently.

Edited by melissel

I read this book as a naive 8th-grader. Really opened my eyes to what was going on around me. I found it very interesting, but it certainly did not encourage me to participate in drug use, sex, etc.

I would let my child read it in school at that age, unless she was uncomfortable with it. Then I would ask for an alternate book. (BTW- if I was uncomfortable with any book choice, I would ask for another book.)

I read this book in 8th grade in 1976...and I loved it! I was the most protected, naive child in the world and it didn't ruin me. It did however really surprise me that there were really drugs and bad people out there...I had no idea!:001_smile:

This would bother me as well. I would talk to the teacher and diplomatically ask what the educational goals are in assigning the book. There may be another book DD can read that you find more suitable that would serve the same purpose. This happened several times to me in high school, and my parents, teachers and I were always able to resolve the problem amicably usually with the substitution of another book. Just be prepared to explain what exactly it is about the book you find offensive. Most reasonable teachers will be willing to work with you :).

I agree!

While I would agree that this book isn't appropriate for most 8th graders I'm wondering how asking for DD to read another book would even work. I know it's been a while since I was in school (holy moly, 32 years since graduation!)....but won't the classroom be having daily/weekly discussion about the chapters they were assigned to read? So DD would have to sit through this, hearing all the gory details of the book (since even though I'm old I think I recall that being what was always discussed most) without the benefit of having read the book to see the redemptive aspects of the story? This might be more damaging than reading the book with your DD and having your own, likely deeper, discussions about it from your family's value system POV.

Have you talked with other parents of students in her class? Do they also have concerns. There is much strength in numbers, I believe, when trying to make changes in a school situation. However, if you are the only parent with objections, I doubt you'll succeed.

If you can't rally parental support to have the whole class switch books, I think my goal would be to get a list of the rest of the reading list for the year so that if there were more selections that you have concerns about they could be addressed BEFORE the books are given to the kids and the decision is basically irreversible. My concern would be that if the teacher feels this book is a good beginning of the year choice, what will she be using at the end of the year when their maturity level has risen.

While I'm not saying you should change your opinion/concerns of this book, as that is definitely an individual decision.............If I recall Hinton's books correctly.....while the subject matter is a bit of a shock, as I recall the protaganist was always coming around to realizing the error of his ways (or of not getting into the trouble in the first place, but watching it unfold with his friends). So while the subject matter may not be first choice, I seem to recall that in the end the character made the right choices....and saw the damage done when others did not. Reading the book with your DD and focusing your discussion on those aspects may help counteract the probable less-than-positive discussion that will occur in class.

Situations like this always make me realize the rightness of our decision to homeschool. We may read these books, but not until their maturity level reaches the right level....and DH and I will be the ones making that decision.

I hope you and your DD are able to find a solution that works for you. :grouphug:

Well, dd has started reading the book in class and after much thought and prayer, I have decided to just let her read it. She is mature and I don't think this book will turn her into a druggie, alcoholic, street runner. Someone said that once we put them into ps we lose a certain amount (if not all) control...and it is sad, but true. Until the time I bring her home (if that happens) I suppose just being diligent in keeping up with what she is learning and picking my battles will be my game plan. Thanks everyone.