Menu

any bollywood fans?

Bride and Prejudice is a good gateway drug--you can figure out some of the conventions without getting too unusual. I love and adore Bollywood movies, here are some of my favorites:

Lagaan--historical drama of ~1900, villagers vs. British officers. Lots of cricket, fascinating anyway.

Devdas--a tragedy, lavish production.

Swades--a NASA scientist goes back to get his old nanny. Very patriotic, Mother India.

Veer-Zaara--a love story between a Pakistani girl and an Indian man. You'll cry a lot.

Kandukonden Kandukonden--"Sense and Sensibility" in Tamil. Great movie, unfortunately the subtitles on the DVD lag a bit.

Bride and Prejudice is a good gateway drug--you can figure out some of the conventions without getting too unusual. I love and adore Bollywood movies, here are some of my favorites:

Lagaan--historical drama of ~1900, villagers vs. British officers. Lots of cricket, fascinating anyway.

Devdas--a tragedy, lavish production.

Swades--a NASA scientist goes back to get his old nanny. Very patriotic, Mother India.

Veer-Zaara--a love story between a Pakistani girl and an Indian man. You'll cry a lot.

Kandukonden Kandukonden--"Sense and Sensibility" in Tamil. Great movie, unfortunately the subtitles on the DVD lag a bit.

Swades is one of my favorites! Devdas is good but watch it with a giant box of kleenex. The others are good too. I haven't seen Kandukonden Kandukonden. I'll have to find that. It sounds great.

Another good one is Black, very different from the typical Bollywood movie. It's a version of the Helen Keller story.

I have seen this one - Kal Ho Naa Ho. It is enjoyable, long, but in the end, enjoyable. My dd and her friends really like it. They introduced it to me.

Oh, yeah, I like that one. It's got some good music. I've decided that movie has the most Indian plot of any I've seen. :)

ETA: And Indian movies are all that long. That's how they work, they're 3 hours long with an intermission and they always have songs. It takes me days to watch one!

Bollywood movies are pretty wholesome in language. The subtitles are, anyway. There may have been a couple of swear words in one or two of the more thriller-y ones, but I don't recall any off the top of my head.

They also don't have kissing or bedroom scenes, BUT they manage to get quite steamy anyhow. The girls often wear less than you would wish. Short skirts and bare midriffs are certainly seen.

I have been quite surprised at the violence in a couple of them--if it's a thriller, it's guaranteed to be pretty violent. Sarfarosh, for example.