Menu

I'm scared! I'm scared! I'm scared! I'm

getting a puppy on Wednesday! :001_unsure: The dog we had since before the kiddos were born died a few months ago (old age), and we are suprising the kids with a beagle for their birthday (same birthday, 3 yrs apart!). I'm nuts. I'm scared. Ugh.

Any get-ready-for-puppy tips? She is 6 months old, and apparently pretty well potty trained (I'm a skeptic:glare:).

THoughts?

Do whatever you can, regardless of cost or time, to train this thing RIGHT AWAY. We just lost our 11 y.o. Beagle last week to a brain condition, probably cancer, and he made our lives a living h-ll. He was dh's dog before I met him, and we were never able to undo the damage done early on.

I hope there is a cross post, because I really would hate for this to be your first piece of advice. LOL

Beagle's are sent hounds. If there is a rabbit, or other critter near by, they will climb fences, dig, whatever they can do to get out and give chase. The pp that said start training immediately was dead on the money.

They can be great dogs. But they can also be a nightmare, with their scent drive. And baying.

Wish you luck, and a great dog!

I would, beagles are not the best kid dogs. Have you thought about taking your kids to a shelter after you discuss with them what criteria needs to be met for a new dog along with what your expectations are. Then the whole family can be in on the choice along with saving a very needy friend from the shelter.

We have a beagle mix who is very sweet, but it is true that they are hunting all the time. LOL! She has her nose to the ground all the time, and she frequently escapes our fence to follow a scent. Cassie doesn't bark or howl much, but when she does, it is super annoying! She is very smart and very good with our kids though. The only other thing that drives me crazy is the hound smell. She stinks all.the.time!!!

getting a puppy on Wednesday! :001_unsure: The dog we had since before the kiddos were born died a few months ago (old age), and we are suprising the kids with a beagle for their birthday (same birthday, 3 yrs apart!). I'm nuts. I'm scared. Ugh.

Any get-ready-for-puppy tips? She is 6 months old, and apparently pretty well potty trained (I'm a skeptic:glare:).

THoughts?

Just a thought but if you are interested in a labradoodle I can give you the name of a breeder that isn't way expensive and I am sure she would ship.

If you decide to go with the shelter idea be very cautious. We have gotten two from the one in the town next to us and they were not very honest/upfront with either dog. Make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

Just as an example, the last dog we got there was short haired and was said to not shed hardly at all. She was 1 yr old. A couple of months after we had her we got document saying that she was 2 yrs old and the breed she is is long haired. Well, add another month or two and walla! we had a long haired dog and I would guess that she was closer to 4 yrs old rather than 2 and definitely not 1.

Of course by this time our whole family, well, the kids and I, were in love with her and wouldn't give her up but........

If you want the breeder of the labradoodles send me an email at mom 4 him 48 at yahoo.com

Well, now that DH and I compared notes as to what I read here and what he heard at work last night, we are needing to go in another direction.

:glare: Can I do a virtual primal scream here and get it all out? This birthday is killing me. Last year: Disney World, all inclusive, didn't pay for much of it since a friend is a cast member. Absolutely blissful.....This year, not so much. :001_huh: I was counting on the dog to be the saving grace. I know that every birthday can't be close-to-free-Disney, but man, wouldn't that be great???? :D

SOOOOOOOO.....anyone have thoughts on a good dog breed for kids? :D

Depends on the size you want, energy level, etc.

We had a pug that was awesome with the kids. Cassie, our current dog, is so far awesome, and she's huge and getting bigger by the day (PyrxAkbash).

Stay the hades away from Jack Russells. Everyone I've ever heard of is a high strung, spazzy beast...and not at all tolerant of children.

I have rescued 2 dogs now through the animal shelter and they have both been amazing. They are mixed, they were already house trained, and so loveable. You get to be in a room with them at the shelter with your children, so you can see how they act up front. I walked the isles of the shelter and watched the dogs to see how they were acting. I didnt want a dog that barked like nuts-so since most of them were at the time, I was able to narrow it down a lot. I also didnt want a very withdrawn dog (since that can be a sign of abuse-but dont count them out-they just might be depressed from being there).

I cant even imagine taking on a puppy. Its so much work.

Just make sure that if you go the shelter route, try to get a dog that they have info on, since you definately dont want abused.

My first dog was 2 years old(lab/chow mix), and my second who I have now which is a australian shepard mix (who came home with me 1 year before I had my daughter) was 1 year 7 months old. I trained both of them on my own with videos and books. But as I said before both were house trained before I got them.

Good luck. HTH.

We just got two pups from the shelter (I only went in for one) 2 weeks ago and have waited 7 years since my last dog. They're so much work. Be prepared. Ours are some sort of terrier mix and they're not supposed to shed. I'm wary after reading the pp.

Our last was a beagle mix and I think you're right about moving away from that.

Labs are the best for kids--will take any abuse-you'll need to be careful w/your little one.

I'd love a labradoodle, but will only get one from a shelter. And I agree w/the pp said be careful in getting a shelter dog, altho they do have a return policy.

Laura

I have had two dogs that have been awesome dogs! One was a Sheltie, the other is a pug. (yes, I know pug, but this has been the best puppy I have ever had. He doesn't bark much nor wine and is so fun) Now we loved our Sheltie and would still have her if someone did not seal her. They are great does and love to run and play with kids.

I hope all works out for you.

I second the advice that labs are good dogs. We had a shelter lab/mix (mainly lab though), and she was the smartest, most patient dog. So much depends on how they are raised as well (she had actually been abused, for what it's worth), but anecdotally, I would definitely recommend a lab. http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/labrador-retriever.html

I've own 6 dogs and had them for life. The most loyal was/is a female lab mix that was thrown out the window of a moving vehicle while in being pursued by police. Love her; she would die for my child. The funniest and most able to take the unintentional abuse of a little one was/is our male lab/redbone (avitar) mix (craigslist freebie). I've had purebreds that couldn't hold a stick to these two. My vote is for a lab mix. Do beware that the first two years of a labs life they can be bad chewers but it is more so with the purebreds.

No beagles, no Jack Russels (unless you've got a lot of land.)

Beagles are obnoxious if you don't do a LOT of training. 2 friends with beagles. The one bays non-stop, the other pees in the house non-stop.

Jack Russels need (need) to run 2 or more miles each day. And if they can't--all that energy is spent dashing about your house and jumping like mexican jumping beans. Those dogs can JUMP.

Can't tell you for sure, but it seems that labs are pretty mellow and good around kids.