Menu

What do you do with the rest of your day?

We just started homeschooling in earnest this year and I know my kids are young and they do a lot of playing in their free time. Actually, that's almost all they do, with the exception of a few daily chores. But, they should do that. However, I'm looking down the road a few years and I know they'll be spending more time on school work than the 2 hours we spend now, but what do you do with your older kids the rest of the day? We live in town, and I can only assign the kids so many chores, even now. I'm also struggling with not wanting my kids to just be involved in activities - sports, music, etc. I'm talking to DH about maybe getting some acreage (just a little) and getting involved in farmer's markets or something like that. I don't know. Do any of you struggle with this? Have any of you come up with good meaningful activities for your children other than just things to fill up the day?

I wouldn't worry about their days being filled up as they get older. It's a mystery as to where time goes. School will take longer, we always have an activity or three, visiting with others, getting a group together for a literature class, cooking, sewing, cleaning, building, drawing, writing books, making bows and arrows ...

My kids:

- play with Legos

- build forts

- run around outside

- have friends over

- take a gymnastics class on Tuesdays

- go to the art museum once a month

- watch all sorts of educational DVDs from Netflix (we're on Liberty's kids now)

- make cookies with me

- read library books

- draw/paint/sculpt

- play Wii games

- go play at friends' houses

My kids, in addition to rigorous academic schedules, volunteered, took music lessons, played sports, danced, loved & cared for their animals, were active in our church, read voraciously, enjoyed their friends, spent time fishing, hiking and camping with friends and family, travelled when possible, etc.

I think it might be helpful for you and your dh to dream now, while your dc are little, about what you would like your family to look like down the road - think about your family goals and vision. This might help you figure out what you want your dc to do and where you want to be.

Anne

Museums, aquariums, art galleries.........there are an endless supply to fill your time.

Between visiting the above, homeschool gatherings and classes we have more than enough to fill our days.

We have to say no to more than we say yes to so we can actually get some "schoolwork" done.