Menu

Basic, quality sewing machine recommend please

My daughter asked me the other day, "Mommy, why don't you sew? How are you going to teach ME how to sew?" (The other post about the little girl who taught herself how to sew has inspired this post.)

I would like to sew, and definitely would like my daughters to be able to sew.

Any suggestions for a good basic machine not made in China (seriously)? What about entry to mid-level Pfaffs, Vikings, Berninas or Babylocks?

I have no idea what they cost now, but when I was in high school my parents bought me a Viking, made in Sweden (yay!) and it's really served me well. Over 20 years old and going strong. I'm sure it wasn't overly expensive when it was new.

Have fun! The possibilities are endless! Have fun learning together!

astrid

I've used all you mentioned and right now have a Bernina. I didn't care for Babylock; it's made by Brother and I find them to be clunky and noisy. YMMV.

Pfaff owns Viking now, so they're all made in the same place, AFAIK. I can't say enough good things about Bernina. Try a Bernina dealer and you may get a deal on a used mid-line model.

If you're anywhere the middle of Missouri, I can recommend a fabulous Pfaff/Bernina dealer who's honest and very helpful.

ETA: Just noticed you're in AZ. I guess you're not wanting to take a trip to the middle of MO? LOL

I just did a quick online search to get an idea of prices...why aren't there any online retailers for these sewing machines? Do the manufacturers keep a tight reign on their vendors? I mean, I can't find ANY online pricing!!!!

They aren't allowed to quote prices online, I've been told. When I was trying to get prices on my Bernina, I had emailed a vendor (the one in MO) and he said I needed to call him, as he was not allowed to to price quote online. I'm assuming he's being truthful, because no other vendor would give a price online, either.

As I said in the other post, I generally lose my fights with my sewing machine.

However, I have found that you need to buy expensive thread.

I used to wonder why they would sell $4.00 a spool thread when you could by the "same thing" for $1.00.

Then, I inherited some thread from a relative who did a lot of sewing. My machine worked so much better! (But, I still have problems getting the tension right and don't enjoy sewing.)

I would recommend an older pfaff which you can get on ebay for well under 800 dollars, sometimes even around 300 dollars, depending on what you are willing to spend. You might also want to check craigslist in your area or a dealer who may have some older models-just be willing to haggle a little with the dealer on a used one and not be scared by the first price they tell you.

I have a Pfaff 7570 and my mother has a new more computerized Pfaff. Honestly I like mine more because there seems to be more issues sometimes the more computerized they are and more of a learning curve with the computer part itself. Even though mine is an embroidery machine, which I hardly ever use, that is definitely not necessary or recommended to have when first learning to sew. Worry about ease of setting the tension, threading easily, and variety of stitches and did I mention ease of setting the tension.

One disclaimer though, if I were to buy a new machine for embroidery purposes, I would try a Bernina and would keep my Pfaff for daily sewing.

Good luck it is a wonderful gift to pass on.