Menu

Complete programs with accountability....Veritas Press?

snickelfritz

I'm researching some all-in-one programs for next year.

1. Something that has some accountability.

2. I don't want it to be overwhelming in the early years. I don't want it to take us 5 hours of sitting at a desk.

3. I don't mind some video or computer, but I don't want to be in front of a screen for all subjects.

4. I have some issues with the theology of BJU and Abeka. I can use some of their materials, but I don't think I could go all out.

5. Christian is fine. Secular is fine. I can teach my own beliefs, as long as their viewpoint isn't overwhelming.

6. It would be nice if I could combine my dd's for history/science. It looks like I might be able to do this with Veritas Press? I think it said you can switch around the history in 2nd and up. And science doesn't appear to be included in the early years?

I am familiar with VP curriculum. We are planning to use VP's history chronology with the cards and some recommended resources beginning in the 2010 school year. I will also use some of their reading suggestions.

It is true that there is no science component during the early years, except for some memorization.

I'm not sure what you mean by accountability...were you thinking of using their online Scholars program? If so, I have no experience with that component, but I know I have seen a few posts here of people who are using it.

I see that you have Ambleside Online listed in your curriculum. Have you ruled out that program as an all-in-one option?

I'm not sure what you mean by accountability...were you thinking of using their online Scholars program? If so, I have no experience with that component, but I know I have seen a few posts here of people who are using it.

Yes. I was considering the scholars program. But, from what I understand, it's not really online? At the elementary level, the only online option is History? And even that is self-paced, not a true online course.

I see that you have Ambleside Online listed in your curriculum. Have you ruled out that program as an all-in-one option?

I have mainly pared it down to the literature selections and am using WWE and FLL to do my narration/dictation. Honestly, the rest of it isn't "all-in-one" enough for me. Finding the music selections. Finding the picture studies. The nature studies, etc... The poetry studies. It's all....too much. And I don't believe it's going to be as effective if we are just using the literature, even though it's good stuff. I am truly looking for a packaged "all-in-one" that is rigorous, but not filled with lots of busy work. Full of great literature, but not only that. I would consider K-12, except I understand that it's a LOT of work.

Erica-

I am very familiar with the VP history program and the catalog in general, but I don't know enough to answer your questions about the Scholars program. I *know* I have seen posts about it here, though. Hopefully someone will respond.

I *can* help you more with the AO music and art...if you click on my Matres Magistres link, our co-op is doing all the AO art and music and there are clickable links to list and resources. We do our own poetry, though. For nature study, our family is going to use the Outdoor Hour Challenge.

We' re not using AO as is, either. That's always been my trouble with looking at all-in-one programs...I never really like it "all"!

You should ask for feedback on the VP_Elementary yahoo group. I think someone may even have started a Scholars yahoo group recently. In any case, the VP_Elementary group has plenty of people who have used Scholars and feedback about time, how they felt about it after a year, etc.

I have mainly pared it down to the literature selections and am using WWE and FLL to do my narration/dictation. Honestly, the rest of it isn't "all-in-one" enough for me. Finding the music selections. Finding the picture studies. The nature studies, etc... The poetry studies. It's all....too much. And I don't believe it's going to be as effective if we are just using the literature, even though it's good stuff. I am truly looking for a packaged "all-in-one" that is rigorous, but not filled with lots of busy work. Full of great literature, but not only that. I would consider K-12, except I understand that it's a LOT of work.

Have you thought about Sonlight K or 1?

Is all in one but it's NOT self teaching. You'll have a 2nd and 4th grader, and those are great Calvert years, especially 4th. Second is a great year but it's more of a foundational year than a discovery year. It takes less than 2 hours a day, but I do tweak the manual for efficiency and to meet my sons needs. It's dfinitely schoolish but extremely bent towards critical thinking. You can be sure that your students are getting a very well rounded education, including poetry. The Houghton Mifflin anthologies are library books- true anthologies of complete stories, not chunks. Any more ?s feel free to PM me, I can give you the straight dope. :)

Finding the music selections. Finding the picture studies. The nature studies, etc... The poetry studies. It's all....too much.

I don't know of an all in one CMish curriculum, but I think there are a couple of products that might make your life easier. Take a look at Queen Homeschool's LA. It's very light compared to WTM, but it's very much CM all prepped for you. If you don't mind using another phonics and spelling program (the weakest link, IMHO) this may work for you. Even if you want to continue with FLL and WWE, the Queen workbooks will give you about 90 CM style lessons on picture study, narration, poetry appreciation and copywork. You can just skip the other 90 lessons on grammar, spelling and phonics or use them as review.

Although I haven't used them, the Classical Writing primers could be a good CMish choice. My guess is they're more rigorous than Queen and are keyed to the seasons, so they'll include some nature study too. They're meant for 2nd or 3rd graders.

For just a nature study resource, look at the FIAR nature study guides. They may make it less overwhelming to plan and execute.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Happy hunting!

I'm slowly going through and looking over the links and suggestions.

I'm going to have to think about what I really want, in terms of accountability, and talk it over with dh.

I'm on the Veritas yahoo group, but not the scholars group. I'll join that one and see what they have to say.