Menu

Video math...what are the alternatives to Math U See?

lovetobehome

I am wondering about the other options for math...we love the MUS dvds, I will never go back to teaching math on my own....but what else is available for elem kids? My son is in 4th, daughter is in 2nd...is Teaching Textbooks the only other option? Just not completely comfortable with MUS alone, so this year I am pairing it with BJU. I would love to use ONE math program....

Well the online Singapore is from Cybershala and I'm not sure what grade they start at. Saxon has come out with Saxon Teacher which is their answer to the DIVE cd's. Those start at 5/4 and are about $89. Not sure what you could use for your little one though.

I am wondering about the other options for math...we love the MUS dvds, I will never go back to teaching math on my own....but what else is available for elem kids? My son is in 4th, daughter is in 2nd...is Teaching Textbooks the only other option? Just not completely comfortable with MUS alone, so this year I am pairing it with BJU. I would love to use ONE math program....

How come you will never teach math on your own? Are you wanting a math program that doesn't require any interaction with you at all? How come you're not comfortable with MUS alone?

I'm a little confused!:confused:

Well there is a Singapore math live over the internet. I'm trying to remember the name of it. It started with sh......

http://www.cybershala.com/

I contacted them a few weeks ago for a free trial. The guys is really nice and he called back to make arrangements. In the end I decided to go with TeachingTextbooks, but I didn't evaluate the Cybershala program. It looks like it's worth looking at.

Well, MUS has spoiled me. I tried Saxon and Singapore and BJU before, but with a toddler running around, I would rather use my precious time for instruction on other things (history, Bible, reading aloud, etc). If I can have the 20 minute math lesson time to use for something else, I will! So, MUS opened up the use of that time for things we would rather do together. We have used MUS for all years so far (primer-delta) and my kids do well with the instruction on the video, and I oversee their work on their sheets and help them anytime they don't understand a concept. It is just far easier than doing a 20 minute lesson from a teacher manual, and it is effective for us. So, that is why I like the video idea. It frees up some time to do other things we enjoy more. I only get so much undivided attention time to spend on each kiddo, with an active toddler.

I want to transition out of MUS because I want something more rigorous for high school. Plus, I am always supplementing MUS because there are things I want my kids to know that aren't taught or aren't reviewed enough...like measurement, time, money, graphing, etc... it is just easier for me to have a math curriculum that includes that stuff. So now I am using MUS and BJU each day (I don't 'teach' BJU, I just have the workbooks).

So, looking for something, ONE curriculum, that has video-based instruction, and is rigorous and comprehensive....

Well, MUS has spoiled me. I tried Saxon and Singapore and BJU before, but with a toddler running around, I would rather use my precious time for instruction on other things (history, Bible, reading aloud, etc). If I can have the 20 minute math lesson time to use for something else, I will! So, MUS opened up the use of that time for things we would rather do together. We have used MUS for all years so far (primer-delta) and my kids do well with the instruction on the video, and I oversee their work on their sheets and help them anytime they don't understand a concept. It is just far easier than doing a 20 minute lesson from a teacher manual, and it is effective for us. So, that is why I like the video idea. It frees up some time to do other things we enjoy more. I only get so much undivided attention time to spend on each kiddo, with an active toddler.

I want to transition out of MUS because I want something more rigorous for high school. Plus, I am always supplementing MUS because there are things I want my kids to know that aren't taught or aren't reviewed enough...like measurement, time, money, graphing, etc... it is just easier for me to have a math curriculum that includes that stuff. So now I am using MUS and BJU each day (I don't 'teach' BJU, I just have the workbooks).

So, looking for something, ONE curriculum, that has video-based instruction, and is rigorous and comprehensive....

Ok, that makes sense, then. Have you looked at Switched On Schoolhouse?

Mrs Mungo, so you made an easy transition from MUS to CD? My son is halfway through Delta, he has cruised easily through MUS and could have gone a lot faster I guess, but I was always adding in another math --BJU, Singapore, Saxon, Horizons, etc. You name it, we tried it. At what level did you move from MUS to CD? Did you use CD Basic Math (6th) or did you start with the earlier grades (which I understand are totally different and require instruction from another source)? THANKS!!!

Have you looked at Houghton Mifflin online math? It covers a wide range of topics. There's an extra help button with a powerpoint type presentation for each lesson. The student can have the lesson read-aloud. You can print out a homework page instead of copying the problems from the book. Or you can have him do the extra practice button, which is an online quiz. These are around $35 up until 2nd grade. Then they go up to $65-$75.

http://www.eduplace.com/eservices/previews/index.jsp

One heads-up--if you want the video presentations you need to go with the online version, not the CD-rom. It doesn't have them. I initially got the cd, but they were kind enough to let me return it. Then it took them about 2 weeks to get my key code to set up my account. sigh But it WAS worth it. Of course, this year we're using MUS. :D

Jennifer

Mrs Mungo, so you made an easy transition from MUS to CD? My son is halfway through Delta, he has cruised easily through MUS and could have gone a lot faster I guess, but I was always adding in another math --BJU, Singapore, Saxon, Horizons, etc. You name it, we tried it. At what level did you move from MUS to CD? Did you use CD Basic Math (6th) or did you start with the earlier grades (which I understand are totally different and require instruction from another source)? THANKS!!!

Actually, I need to clarify. That is my PLAN for my younger kids. I plan to take them through Zeta and then do Chalkdust Pre-Algebra. My older daughter actually used Horizons through sixth grade and then transitioned to Chalkdust Pre-Algebra.